New (old) 3L rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (old) 3L rebuild

I have posted a couple of times with questions in preparation for my build, but this is the real deal now.
    Here are a couple of warm up pics:

The last order I need to place is for a new oil pump and gaskets and bolts etc from ford - and then machining before reassembly.

A pic of the failure:

I am cleaning up the heads at the moment and there is some pitting within the bore that concerns me a little. Anyone care to comment on whether this is anything to worry about. I will probably have them decked but I don't think there's much material to come off.

00 Silver Frost SVTC #1429/2150: Born 10 Jan, 2000
    3.0L, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, LSD, Koni Sport Kit +more

I also bought one of these disconnects from Summit, planning to put it in the windscreen cowl on the drivers side, but when I removed it I saw its not going to fit by a long way because of the windscreen wiper mechanism. Anyone got any suggestions for how to use it? It would fit on the passenger side but thats not really that useful if I'm in the car.
    mor-74106_w_ml..jpg

Comment

hmmm looks interesting, are you going FI?
      1998 Contour SVT- Monster Hybrid 3L ASA Racing wheels,Graphite Effext Paint, Custom True Duels, Cat-Delete, Shorty Headers, Custom Cams, PNP Heads w/3L valves... many more goodies Owner HMS in Akron Ohio

Comment

No it'll be all motor. Pistons should bump compression with a 6cc dome.

Comment

Excellent . I'll be watching.
          *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
          30 Contour / Mystiques and counting......

Comment

How about through the rear reflector?
            2000 Tropic Green SVT Contour #455 of 2150
            Born Date: Nov. 19, 1999
            Exhaust | Intake | ATS Complites | Pre-98 trunk w/ Lip Spoiler | A-pillar Gauges | Fidanza Shifter | Ground Control | Koni | Autovation | ED Splitter | Carbon Fiber EVO Hood

Comment

Or through the antenna hole.
              '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 Forged Ovalport 3L Supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by Heywood View Post
                there is some pitting within the bore that concerns me a little. Anyone care to comment on whether this is anything to worry about.
                Any pitting in the bore that is not cleaned up by honing may require you to have the cylinder re-sleeved. Pitting in the heads may create hot spots that will increase the chance of pre-ignition and pitting in the cylinder may cause the early failiure of the piston rings.

After professional advice, I had a cylinder re-sleeved with an engine I bought for parts. ... G.
                ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

Comment

Originally posted by TourEnvy View Post
                  How about through the rear reflector?
                  Originally posted by Beans View Post
                  Or through the antenna hole.
                  It is supposed to be accessible from the drivers seat as well as for corner workers.

Originally posted by gorman View Post
                  Any pitting in the bore that is not cleaned up by honing may require you to have the cylinder re-sleeved. Pitting in the heads may create hot spots that will increase the chance of pre-ignition and pitting in the cylinder may cause the early failiure of the piston rings.

After professional advice, I had a cylinder re-sleeved with an engine I bought for parts. ... G.
                  The cylinders are OK and will be bored and honed. I didn't explain myself well there - I meant within the footprint of the cylinder on the head. Its the head that I'm worried about. I don't know that there's enough material to completely remove the pitting by decking it. Is it possible to remove a bit of material on the flat portion of the head only. I guess you'd end up with uneven compression across the cylinders.

I'm hesitant to just scrap the heads because the porting is very nicely done with the old injector valleys welded up.

Comment

I think you are right about uneven compression/ combustion if you grind locally.

I would say whatever you do to one cylinder, would be best done, to all the cylinders.

You should take out the valves, so that the head can be properly inspected for damage by your machine shop. They will look for how deep the pitting is and know what the maximum amount the head can be decked.

It's very difficult to be 100% sure by looking at photo's .... can't beat having the item in your hand .... G.
                    ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

Comment

Yeah, I'll take it to my machinist the next couple of weeks and see what he says.

I have been going back and forth on removing the valves - I guess you just convinced me. Do the seals need to be replaced after removing the valves?

Comment

would it be best practice .... yes

not sure how much you can source a gasket service kit for ... but considering the money you are spending on machining, it would probably be a false economy to re-use old seals and gaskets ... G.

Comment

Next couple of weeks - ha - this is turning into a CSVT49 build minus the awesome.

Machinist said he can deck the head to remove pitting, but it might affect compression and upset the angle of the valves w.r.t the piston domes. He suggested finding a thicker head gasket to compensate. Alternatively, he can weld over the pitting and then deck it - but he was concerned about the valve seats.

As for valves - apparently if you change valves you need to resurface the seats at the same time. And while doing the valves you might as well do springs and retainers.

Where this leads me is that I think I am going to clean up my current valves for now and do the minimum head work to get a safely running motor. Once its up I will source some new heads and port and polish and upgrade the whole valve train. Machinist was against this because it means pulling the engine again, but if I try and fix everything before I put this together no one will be driving cars with internal combustion engines anymore.

Parts at the shop for:
                          line hone main journals
                          polish crank
                          bore/hone cylinders
                          deck block
                          balance rotating assembly

Comment

...... he was concerned about the valve seats.
                            he is right to be.... after that piston failure, chances are, the valve seat is pitted from fragments of the piston. You should, as a minimum, remove the valves on that cylinder and have them checked.

...... As for valves - apparently if you change valves you need to resurface the seats at the same time.
                            correct... it is a must.

...... And while doing the valves you might as well do springs and retainers.
                            could, but if they are undamaged not absolutely necessary.

...... Where this leads me is that I think I am going to clean up my current valves for now and do the minimum head work to get a safely running motor. Once its up I will source some new heads and port and polish and upgrade the whole valve train. Machinist was against this because it means pulling the engine again, but if I try and fix everything before I put this together no one will be driving cars with internal combustion engines anymore.
                            tut tut tut, your impatience and frustration could end up going thru the roof along with your re-build costs.

If it were me, (and is what i've done) i would use a cheap engine to get my car mobile and not hastily rebuild that failed engine. ... G.

Comment

Originally posted by gorman View Post
                              he is right to be.... after that piston failure, chances are, the valve seat is pitted from fragments of the piston. You should, as a minimum, remove the valves on that cylinder and have them checked.
                              Concern was that welding near the seat might reduce the pressure holding the seat in place. I removed the valves and they will clean up just fine.

There is some very fine pitting on the valve seat and back of the valve. He mentioned this would reduce compression by allowing some leakage but to me this seems like a last 10% of performance type issue - am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X