• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

getting highest hp out of the 3l

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
was reading through here and saw threads about the highest hp 3l. now im not looking to get the highest hp 3l ever built. but i am looking to put into the svt the higher setup of all the diffferent ways to go.

this is what i have come to believe is the highest hp way to go.
04+ 3l
svt heads,cams,etc svt stuff. gives you higher compression correct?
full exhaust which is MSDS at the moment i believe into a Bassani cat back
underdrive pullies
ac delete???
NPG cold air
LSD is already on the car
upgraded motor mounts to keep (some) traction
bearing kit to keep from burning up crappy bearings
a tune from NPG or a local dyno tune

now from what i remember reading is that when putting the svt heads on the 3l there are a few oil drian back holes that need to be filled?

are the gains that small from the bumped compression that its easier to go with the port matched 3l?

its getting closer for me to have to order parts and the engine. my father being the old school gear head he is whats to put in the highest base engine we can. i was eventually thinking FI but i just wont ever be able to afford it beacause of other stuff that has to go on the svt as well as other cars in the stable.

Just use the SVT cams and throw them into the 3.0L heads. MSDS isn't the best option for the ypipe....look at a sho shop ypipe or true duals. Go to a dyno tune.

I knew the full 3.0 with SVT cams people would come out of the wood work. :rolleyes:

A hybrid is still a perfectly viable option and they DO make good power. Mine makes 210/206 and I'd be willing to bet that starjammir's will be somewhere around 240+ at the wheels when I put it on the dyno later this summer. Get a dyno tune. People here love NPG, but I've seen them have trouble with tuning hybrids in the past.

I knew the full 3.0 with SVT cams people would come out of the wood work. :rolleyes:

A hybrid is still a perfectly viable option and they DO make good power. Mine makes 210/206 and I'd be willing to bet that starjammir's will be somewhere around 240+ at the wheels when I put it on the dyno later this summer. Get a dyno tune. People here love NPG, but I've seen them have trouble with tuning hybrids in the past.

I don't have SVT cams....I don't think Joe does either.

Never said the hybrid was not a viable option. It is another option people have....it just requires more work than a full 3.0L. But, if you are going to put the SVT cams in a 3.0L, then it is the same amount of work anyways.

If you want the highest power possible, then go with a 3l hybrid. Use Svt cams and have some head work done on the svt heads. Larger valves from the 3l intake and cobra 4.6 exhaust. SHM long tube headers. Max honed intake, and mustang throttle body. I think that would pretty much be the ultimate for a na 3l.

If you want the highest power possible, then go with a 3l hybrid. Use Svt cams and have some head work done on the svt heads. Larger valves from the 3l intake and cobra 4.6 exhaust. SHM long tube headers. Max honed intake, and mustang throttle body. I think that would pretty much be the ultimate for a na 3l.

But you would still have the bottle neck of an input using that intake.

Well fine, 3l with 3l heads svt cams. Head work done port polish 4.6 4v exhaust valves. st220 intake manifold mustang throttle body. Shm headers.

That is what I would do if I had the money.

Well fine, 3l with 3l heads svt cams. Head work done port polish 4.6 4v exhaust valves. st220 intake manifold mustang throttle body. Shm headers.

Haven't read anything on the 4.6 exhaust valves. Have people used them in these cars?

did anybody ever figure out if the extra lift on the 04 cams was from lobe hight or from rocker lash? if it's from lash, it seems like the svt cams in an 04+ engine would be the best thing to do. you could also raise the cr with dome pistons or by decking the heads, or both.

So I got that I should keep the 3l heads on.

Not necessarily. Like I said, my hybrid WITH OUT PnP'd heads, with short ram, MSDS headers and y-pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow res, and bassani catback, made 196/219 untuned. If you go the hybrid route, you should really look into either getting a big bore LIM or having one bored-out. It makes a HUGE difference on that setup.

Image_scanned_6_15_2009_at_8_02_PM.jpg

TRickers dyno on his full 3.0L. No PnP with intake and exhaust mods. More power but it is tuned. That is one thing, you really should get a tune for a full 3.0L. I know I am missing about 50 ft/lbs of torque down low. Hybrid acts the same as a regular SVT while a full doesn't....apples to oranges really. You have to make your own choice as to what you want to do. Everyone has their own arguement as to what is better, but in the end...most power numbers are similiar when they are tuned.

Tylerdynotuned.jpg

I think you just said it best. When tuned everyone is pretty close wen basic work is done.

3l with svt cams and intake is prob the way I'm going to go. Stock look with more power. Easy to hone or bore intake parts if I feel the need to.

I know you got the 4.6 4v idea from me......but you also forget to read it properly :blackeye:

You need the intake side of the 4.6L valves...which are 2mm larger then the 3.0L intake valves.

The best combo...........................................................................................................................................

3L
3L heads....shaved head....4.6L intake valves. Ported and polished ports...and exhaust ports...valve side and side of head.....with svt cams.
3L UIM....04+......escape...mazda6 or st220 uim.

That setup would put down great numbers. Everyone is soo stuck on intake manifolds...the problem lies with the heads. :)

but wont a humongo intake bolted to ????ty heads still make a big impact on intake port velocity? or does the crap surface finish on the inlet port turn that all into worthless turbulence?

but wont a humongo intake bolted to ????ty heads still make a big impact on intake port velocity? or does the crap surface finish on the inlet port turn that all into worthless turbulence?

fluid dynamics. flow is always turbulent at the wall and smooth or laminar in the middle. the is a boundry layer that forms where the transission occurs.

so a little port polish should fix things right up, no need for a valve job right? what happens with the LIM? I here people really want the st uim, but if it's just shoved on the plastic LIM, wont there be a major step there?

I've noticed in having a few of these engines apart that the tolerance for steps in the intake and exhaust paths seems to be like 1/16th-1/8th and that is terrible.

has anybody tried attacking the plastic parts with a dremmel? just smoothing out the big steps should make some gains right?

Back