• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Brake Upgrade

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Since my front calipers are in the middle of :censored::censored::censored::censored:ting the bed, I'm looking for a good brake set-up for a Zetec that will be cheap, reliable, hard-stopping, and streetable. I was thinking about doing just an SVT swap, with maybe FSVT fronts if I had the money.

What suggestions do you people have, and what would the install/ monetary impact be? If I got SVT brakes (C/FSVT), I would probably try to find a used set-up in good shape.

Thanks, as usaul, for the help:cool:

I have 1 E0 brake caliper bracket and 1 E1 bracket if that helps you any lol You need 16" wheels to fit the SVTF calipers also, so those would be first in line. I just upgraded to SVT Contour fronts thinking I would move them to the back when I go for the 300mm rotors. I'm pretty satisfied though. It certainly helped with the heaver 17" SVT Focus wheels and made it noticeably easier to stop.

i would pick up a set of E1 caliper brackets, CSVT rotors, and your choice of pads. the brackets will allow you to use your existing calipers. i would also do a rear disc conversion if you havent already.

Needs more go :laugh:. I'd leave the front brakes, and do a rear conversion. Discs are easier, and more aesthetically pleasing.

Needs more go :laugh:. I'd leave the front brakes, and do a rear conversion. Discs are easier, and more aesthetically pleasing.

I know it does, but since I just scored two huge-paying jobs and have alot left over from saving up for a car, the car should have some pretty good go if things go as planned;). Plus, I'm going to upgrade the fronts since my calipers are shot anyways.

Then just get new calipers :shrug:. I think you can get them for a decent price on RockAuto. I doubt I'll ever get new brakes for my car. I got the rear discs for my car because they looked better with the E0's, and my shoes were wearing out as it was. You should invest elsewhere, like SUSPENSION :drool:

I would just go with a SVT brake upgrade, its bolt on, can't go wrong. then do a rear disk upgrade ... anything else for would be over kill in this case.

I think your best bang for the buck would be quality pads(I'm partial to Bendix Ceramics), E1 SVT brackets and rotors, SS brake lines and a full fluid flush.
-Andy

Then just get new calipers :shrug:. I think you can get them for a decent price on RockAuto. I doubt I'll ever get new brakes for my car. I got the rear discs for my car because they looked better with the E0's, and my shoes were wearing out as it was. You should invest elsewhere, like SUSPENSION :drool:
If I'm going with new calipers, I don;t really want to do stock. I'd like SVT calipers. Plus, I very well may be investing in suspension.
I would just go with a SVT brake upgrade, its bolt on, can't go wrong. then do a rear disk upgrade ... anything else for would be over kill in this case.
True. That's what I was planning on, but I wasn't sure if there was a better set-up for roghly the same amount of money. Plus, I'm preparing the car for something which very well may be coming next summer; depending on how well my GBs go.
I think your best bang for the buck would be quality pads(I'm partial to Bendix Ceramics), E1 SVT brackets and rotors, SS brake lines and a full fluid flush.
-Andy
Why not SVT calipers?

Oh, and to all posters, rear discs are going on reguardless; if I ever get a chance to get to Aircougar when everyone goes, that is:laugh:

If I'm going with new calipers, I don;t really want to do stock. I'd like SVT calipers. Plus, I very well may be investing in suspension.

True. That's what I was planning on, but I wasn't sure if there was a better set-up for roghly the same amount of money. Plus, I'm preparing the car for something which very well may be coming next summer; depending on how well my GBs go.

Why not SVT calipers?

Oh, and to all posters, rear discs are going on reguardless; if I ever get a chance to get to Aircougar when everyone goes, that is:laugh:

front calipers are all the same across models except E0 SVT calipers so all you would need is 98.5-00 svt caliper brackets so you can use the bigger SVT rotors.

:troutslap:eek:hohohooooohhhhh. Thanks. I was wondering why everyone was neglecting to mention a caliper upgrade :troutslap:

Brackets and rotors it is! I can probably make my own if anyone wants to give me the dimensions. Painted mild steel plate should be up to the task, right?:shrug:

:troutslap:eek:hohohooooohhhhh. Thanks. I was wondering why everyone was neglecting to mention a caliper upgrade :troutslap:

Brackets and rotors it is! I can probably make my own if anyone wants to give me the dimensions. Painted mild steel plate should be up to the task, right?:shrug:

yeah it should be alright, take a look at the NPG kit, its a plate, and a thick one at that .... I would just find the brackets, any SVT or sport package cougar have the same rotors and bracket ....

also remember that the E0 caliper is different and so is the bracket

yeah it should be alright, take a look at the NPG kit, its a plate, and a thick one at that .... I would just find the brackets, any SVT or sport package cougar have the same rotors and bracket ....

also remember that the E0 caliper is different and so is the bracket

Thanks alot!:cool:

So I'd shoot for a pair of 99-00 CSVT (or just stock ones) calipers and brackets, and if I want to go for FSVT rotors, then buy NPG caliper brackets. If not, then just the stock calipers, with SVT caliper brackets and rotors.

What do you guys say I should need for rear discs?

My guess....
-Calipers
-Caliper brackets
-Rotors
-SS lines (to replace stockers anyway)

Are there any additional things I need? Any regulators for fluid presure and such?

Thanks alot!:cool:

So I'd shoot for a pair of 99-00 CSVT (or just stock ones) calipers and brackets, and if I want to go for FSVT rotors, then buy NPG caliper brackets. If not, then just the stock calipers, with SVT caliper brackets and rotors.

yes

also unless you are getting 16" or larger wheels you will only be able to use teh SVT brakes. and imho that is more then enough for a zetec as teh stock brakes are pretty good imho

ever thought about buying an SVT and keeping your zetec as a dd?

ever thought about buying an SVT and keeping your zetec as a dd?

+1. I've come to the conclusion my car deserves no more mods. Matt, we drive a 2.slow slushie. It won't ever be quick :blackeye:. I would save up your money, man. Although, Doing rear discs isn't too bad if you decide to get different wheels.

+1. I've come to the conclusion my car deserves no more mods. Matt, we drive a 2.slow slushie. It won't ever be quick :blackeye:. I would save up your money, man. Although, Doing rear discs isn't too bad if you decide to get different wheels.

Ian I'm not trying to say don't mod a zetec ..... but why spend the money upgrading to FSVT brakes when you will never have a need for brakes like that. I would say strikers turbo zetec would be an exception to that. Trust me I wanted to mod out my zetec when I first got it but I didn't. And because of that I have one of the best dd cars for years now. It also allowed me to mod the snot out of my SE :laugh:.

so if you want SVT front brakes sure, thats a pretty easy and cheap upgrade. same with rear disks if you can find the parts in a junk yard or something like that.

What do you guys say I should need for rear discs?

My guess....
-Calipers
-Caliper brackets
-Rotors
-SS lines (to replace stockers anyway)

Are there any additional things I need? Any regulators for fluid presure and such?

um I suggest reading the rear disk swap how-to. you need alot more then that to swap to rear disks ....

hell, i had stock GL brakes on the Zetec. i didnt upgrade to the SVT brakes till last spring and then shortly after the pistons fried. there was only one time that i was worried about the brakes and that was at the Dragon run last year. lots of braking overheated them slightly and they faded bad, took it easy on the brakes for the next few turns and all was good again.

as i said before, just buy the E1 caliper brackets, SVT rotors, and some good pads and that should be more than sufficient for the Zetec.

hell, i had stock GL brakes on the Zetec. i didnt upgrade to the SVT brakes till last spring and then shortly after the pistons fried. there was only one time that i was worried about the brakes and that was at the Dragon run last year. lots of braking overheated them slightly and they faded bad, took it easy on the brakes for the next few turns and all was good again.

as i said before, just buy the E1 caliper brackets, SVT rotors, and some good pads and that should be more than sufficient for the Zetec.

well there you go ..... I agree, get the brackets, rotors and some good pads and you will be set.

Back