• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interesting UIM cover

just what the duratec needs...another heat trapping plastic cover(see,imrc cover):shrug:
i do like those strut caps you have though mr.scotland:cool:

personally I like the idea of having the exposed UIM, with a little work they really can look fantastic, see bagged's polishing post, Polished UIM > cheap plastic cover to hide ugly shame.

I like it a lot actually, makes it look so much cleaner, and who cares if it traps heat on the UIM? The UIM doesn't have a heat susceptible transistor to worry about like the IMRC.

no your right it doesnt..it just has a 2k+ dollar wiring harness that has trouble w/the heat w/o the shield:shrug:

where is there a wiring harness on the UIM? :shrug: that would make hardly any difference as the UIM doesnt ever get too hot to begin with

where is there a wiring harness on the UIM? :shrug: that would make hardly any difference as the UIM doesnt ever get too hot to begin with
dont kid yourself. the wire harness is under the uim,and it goes bad ALL THE TIME...is it me or has common sense on this site took a turn for the worst in the last year:shrug: :blackeye:

easy there cracka. i have the original harness in my car. after 130k, you'd think it would be cracked and in need of replacement. last time i looked at it (120k) it looked brand new. heat never did a thing to it

easy there cracka. i have the original harness in my car. after 130k, you'd think it would be cracked and in need of replacement. last time i looked at it (120k) it looked brand new. heat never did a thing to it
look harder..how about you remove the uim,and try bening one of the wires that go to the injectors.....and just b/c you appear to have lucked out,and your car doesn't appear to have the issue search...countless number of people have. myself included

Last edited:
I was never interested because of how much heat is thrown off the UIM, the harness issues, fitment concerns, the cost.. need I go on..

It's not so much the heat that really causes the cracked wiring harnesses, even though it really is, it was Ford's use of inferior wires to do the job.

I did the IM cleaning and my wires looked great as well, maybe your wiring harness is a baby. :shrug: Anyway, whatever, you do what you want to your car and I'll do what I want to mine, like I said, I think it looks good and would not be worried at all about heat trapping, you might, but I wouldn't.

i feel the same way about mine. once my parts are done being powdercoated, i will NEVER want anything being hidden by a piece of plastic

Back