• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

Is is sad that I stopped to quickly look at an 86 Cougar that the Ford dealer had out on its lot on sat?

They also had a California Edition Stang GT....whenever I hear that, I just think of the 60's and 70's cars with less horsepower because of emissions.

Is is sad that I stopped to quickly look at an 86 Cougar that the Ford dealer had out on its lot on sat?

They also had a California Edition Stang GT....whenever I hear that, I just think of the 60's and 70's cars with less horsepower because of emissions.

It is absolutely not sad. The Fox four-eye Cougars are my favorites. Terrific cars. I would very much like an XR7 Turbo 5-speed.

84xr7ad.jpg

And remember -- Emissions regs didn't start to take effect until after 1970. Even California was home to muscle cars and hot rods. In fact, it was one of the hottest areas for automotive enthusiasm. By mid decade, automakers were battling with high fuel prices, increased governmental regulation, expensive gasoline, and reduced horsepower. In the Eighties, technology provided a way to combine power with fuel efficiency and low emissions.

It wasn't a XR7 :( and they were asking $3900 for it. Clean looking car but there was some bubbling under the pain on the rear drivers side.

It wasn't a XR7 :( and they were asking $3900 for it. Clean looking car but there was some bubbling under the pain on the rear drivers side.

There aren't too many XR7s from those days. Ford made about 14,000 Turbo Coupes that year, and the TC outsold the Cougar, so that gives you an idea.

The sixes and eights are both great motors. I have a GM friend (a retired GE aircraft engine engineer) who drives a 1987 Buick Grand National, and he once told me that he believed the Ford 3.8 to be even better than the GM one.

Did you see that 1985 with 50K that I posted last week? I've been tempted to pick that up myself. :cool:

Last edited:
It's the same book that says not to clean the carpets before advertising the car for sale. Maybe the extra two grand is for all that crap on the floor.

I just little green cleaned machined my car over the weekend. It could use another round me thinks....getting smelling really good. :drool: And I found out Mcquires new quick mist detailer makes your car have that new car smell rather well.

My car barely books for 4k so I really dont know where their getting that. Actually mine is probably less now that its over 100k. :blackeye::blackeye:

Wow... I take that back.. It books for 4525 high. Im shocked.

My car barely books for 4k so I really dont know where their getting that. Actually mine is probably less now that its over 100k. :blackeye::blackeye:

Wow... I take that back.. It books for 4525 high. Im shocked.

Are you aware that your Mystique could be worth as much as $9000?

Provided there's $4475 in cash in the glove box. :laugh:

I think when i get the struts changed out next week I am going to scare the crap out of the wife in some turns out to the Lake

I think when i get the struts changed out next week I am going to scare the crap out of the wife in some turns out to the Lake

Does she reach for the grab handles or brace herself against the seat and the door?

Back