• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why?

8000RPM

CEG'er
ok, why do i have the imrpession that the svt kinda sucks in first gear.
here's what i mean. if you put in first and let the clucth go, normally, and you are moving with 10mph, and then you just floor the gas, the car doesn't seem to be very responsive...it feels heavy until it gets to about 4k rpm and the imrc opens. when i compare it with other cars, they seem to be much quicker and resonsive when just floored as described above.

note, i am not talking about launching at 4k rpm as on the track, but just pressing the gas at low rpm. same goes for second gear...
so my question is...is there anything that can be done, to improve the torque "development" of the car under 4k rpm? does that make sense?

ooooooooohooo. hold on.

3-4 weeks ago i went to the drag strip and i did my 60ft for 2.2 sec flat and a 1/4 mile at 15.6 (could have done faster if my tire pressure wasn't at 15psi). And that's stock, so I know the car runns as normal as it can run. the IMRC work fine, i can feel the pull at 4k rpm, but like i said...you are at a traffic light, you start normally, let the clutch go all the way, and then you decide to floor the gas pedal...well compared with other cars (rsx-s, 1.8 GTI), the tour is not as rapid...now its a different story if i launch at say 2500 rpm with slipping the clutch...
i dunno, sometimes i thing the csvt is not as responsive at some japanese cars are. frend of mine had an eclipse (no turbo), with 200hp stock..and was much much more responsive than the tour...and please note: i am not saying the eclipse was faster...just at low end of gears felt more alive...
i dunno if that makes any sense to you though.

+/- 3200lbs, ~165ft/lbs torque <> 1.7sec 60' (ie.. its a heavy car, with low torque. what do you expect? You are comparing it to cars that weigh anywhere from 300-600 POUNDS less with the same power (in some cases)

If you are insistent on staying with the same car? Weight Reduction.

throttle body helps. also the cars stock run really rich when you floor it at low rpm. i optimized my y pipe, and tb. plus the dis ignition helps the low end response, but at 2000 rpm in first gear i can hit it and spin the tires with 15psi in them. pretty nice now. i felt a big diff in the response when i optimized my tb, not as much with the y pipe

i have k&n fipk, opt tb, precats gutted, trubendz flowmaster, and my safc tune that i did myself watchin my O2 voltages i have high gear low rpm feeling great, i can give it gas and have it climb mph much better than it was on stock tune. even WOT feels great. i would say get tuned but everytime u change a modification it changes your air fuel. i would say either teach yourself how to tune and get an xcal since you can actually do things compared to me being stuck with only touching WOT fuel tables. but i got mySAFC from a friend for 75$ so im usin that till i get an xcal. but yea i would say if u want below 4 to feel nice, just go 3.0 liter. its about your best bet. i will get to turn my key and hear my 3.0 in just a month. im so excited:)

ok ok. what do you mean by "dis ignition"??
optimization of y pipe is pain in the azz, right? can you give me a link for TB optimization and y pipe??? thank youu
ContourGuy9817 -- let me know how you 3L will go. and how much will you spend for the whole thing?

3200lbs? I weighed my car at a truck stop and got a little over 2800 I have a carbon fiber hood and no spare or jack and I keep the car clutter free.As far as low end torque,well if you want that swap the 3 liter in it or go buy a muscle car.The beauty of our car is the high reving capabilities when the secondaries open up the car just screams! You mention your friends rsx and gti well for the RSX that power band is really high up in the rev range like ours it that engine doesn't wake up until the v-tec activates. So Idk what you talking about there,and for the gti,my friend has an A4 with the 1.8t same engine that comes in the gti and he has exhaust and chip and they don't have the greatest torque down low either.I have beaten him on the track mutiple times by ALOT.So idk what you talking about there either?....just my 2 cents

Also I don't feel that sluggishness that you talk about below 4 grand.But I have a fidanza flywheel,which helps the car rev a whole lot quicker.I have heard that it does hurt the perfomance off the line,but I haven't really notice a diffrence in the department.IDK what you mods are but just keep modding the svt and you will be happy with it.

the gti has a chip, short ram and no rear muffler and does 14.9 flat on the 1/4mile. the rsx has a lighter flywheel, short shifter and stage 1 clutch and also does 14.9. my friend's 99 svt and my csvt we both do 15.4-6 on the 1/4.
yes the gti doesn't have much at low rpm until the turbo hits, but with the chip it hits ar very low rpm, and it hits hard. spins tires on 2nd gear just when you floor it. and the rsx...hell man, it is much quicker...even stock (the dude with the gti had a stock rsx-s before)...and for the recored, i did have a muscle car before the damn svt...a mustang

i can't find a howto for the TV and y pipe optimization...anyone?

Last edited:
I'm not debating on whether or not you SVT is faster than theres.I was talking about the low end torque.So I don't know where all this Hostilty is coming from!?Your friends GTI is faster than the A4 because of the audi all-wheel drive system anyways.Also with my mods I run a 14.9-15.0 so i'm right there with those guys in my case(w/o headers). and for the How- tos you need to check the old site for them.

Intake,modified y-pipe,testpipe,borla catback,spec stg 2 clutch ,fidanza flywheel underdrive pulleys,shortshifter,poly motor mount and inserts.I might have forgotten somthing

I did run at the track in the winterso that helped and I know how to drive/shift pretty darn well..I have only hit that once and to be honest I was surprised..But when I get headers and a good tune a some sticky arse tires will run a little faster

opt throttle body, gutted precats, K&N SRI w/ heatshield, trubendz flowmaster duel, spec stage 1, torsen, BFG KDW 2, new axles(stock, but new), and my self tunes SAFC, i womp svts but no numbers, i need to go to a track. my best so far is i have a buddy with an H22a in his 92 prelude and its stripped and tuned, he beats me by a car. :) that was at a 5,000 rpm launch.

Back