• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Watkins Glen Opening Day 2012 - April 21 & 22

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
Here's the link for info: http://www.theglen.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2011/Opening-Weekend.aspx

For those that didn't see the post last year, every spring WGI opens up the track to the public where they let you run 3 laps for $25 and usually set it up so you can do 3 sets of 3 laps for $50. Last year there was a 10-car minimum to run as a 'club' and unfortunately due to scheduling and the weather we didn't quite meet that. If you are interested in running one day or another please post here. I know it is early but if we get enough we can all run as a group which is very nice.

Technically the laps are paced at 55mph but every year I have gone it's been a lot faster. Last spring with 3 people in the SVT I was doing 105mph on the back straight before standing on the brakes. :)

I'm sure anyone that's gone (cough royalblue cough) can attest that it's a blast!

EDIT: Here's a couple shots for those that need some motivation... ;)

WGTrack9.jpg

WG0.jpg

WG4.jpg

WG7.jpg

We can merge my thread with this one. I was going to suggest Watkins Glen anyway since it's the only automotive activity posted so far. This place is awesome btw, I've been there to watch and always wished I could run the track.

If we get enough people I'd be willing to design a shirt (like Spring Zing) for those who attend. $10/shirt, $50/9 laps at the raceway, and a photo shoot at the track. Factor in gas and food and should be under $100 for the weekend.

I'll probably bring out my new camera to shoot some pics as well. I picked up a Nikon D5100 and am itching to start to use it more ;)

It's too bad we can never get people to assemble in Northeast. :nonono: Maybe I can bring the girlfriend along and hit the wine country on the way back home.

If we get enough people I'd be willing to design a shirt (like Spring Zing) for those who attend. $10/shirt, $50/9 laps at the raceway, and a photo shoot at the track. Factor in gas and food and should be under $100 for the weekend.
Sounds cool:cool: also of note is the http://www.racingarchives.org/
and some more inspiration
100_7566-1.jpg

20110417_WGI_GR13_2657.jpg

100_7545.jpg

OOPPSS Watkins glen chick how did that get in there:crazy:

It's too bad we can never get people to assemble in Northeast. :nonono: Maybe I can bring the girlfriend along and hit the wine country on the way back home.

Agreed, it is always difficult due to locations and schedules to get people together. You should bring the GF along, I brought Kara last year and she had a blast.

So if we have enough cars going I can set up a group deal where we can all run together at the same time. I'll start off a list of those who I know are going. Feel free to add on but only if you know for sure you are going.

1.) Andy - 99MystiqueATX
2.) Craig - Onimitsu
3.) Nick - Not on here but will have an '04 Ranger w/roush kit

Keep the list goin! :)

1.) Andy - 99MystiqueATX
2.) Craig - Onimitsu
4.) Brad - royalblue

Keep the list goin!
smile.gif

Yea im gonna try an make this

1.) Andy - 99MystiqueATX
2.) Craig - Onimitsu
4.) Brad - royalblue
5.) Japhet - contourfever87

Keep the list goin!

some more inspiration
30949_572884588237_&.jpg
2875_539478459387_7&.jpg
2875_539478419467_4&.jpg
i think i can take him!!!
2875_539477122067_7&.jpg
15692_572543606567_&.jpg
i am going to try to get my brother to bring his Shelby cobra with us this year!

21st and 22nd are Saturday and Sunday? If everybody was going Sunday then I could add my name to the list, a wife and two kids makes Saturday hard to do, but on a Sunday Watkins Glen isn't too far away from Erie PA

I think Sunday should be the slower of the two days. I had a buddy that worked there last year and he was telling me most of the bigger clubs usually run Saturday so it's a bit longer wait.

If everyone is good with Sunday we can aim for that. :)

Back