• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

trans rebuild

newb

Hard-core CEG'er
just looking for which bearings i should replace while im in there doing the lsd.

just looking for which bearings i should replace while im in there doing the lsd.
Hey there; obviously the bearings on the diff need replacing, but while the case is open, changing the bearings on the input shaft would be good. Even better, would be changing them all.

Are you able to set the preload on the bearings ? If you are going all out, then maybe it is a job for a transmission shop or able member. Some members have said they didn't bother changing the shims on the bearings because the torsen is a direct swap ... took a chance and had no problems.

Personally; i had the preload reset at the stealership ($35) and would recommend not taking a chance with the money and work involved in a repair.

Hope someone in your area can hook you up ... the diff was excellent in the snow we had this winter :laugh:

good luck ...G.

when i look up on the parts site all i see is front and rear diff bearings, is these the ones i need ?

it depends. are you just going to install new bearings with the diff or do you want to replace all the bearings in the trans? if the latter i suggest you go all out and do a full rebuild, replacing the syncros blocker rings while you are in there. this requires a press and the knowledge of how to rebuild a transmission as well as the tools to do so (a press and bearing puller adapter, as well as a slide hammer and bearing race adapter, various snap ring pliers, magnet base dial gauge, and various mounts for the gauge). the parts are also expensive, at about $600 for a kit, but you get all the bearings, races, seals, and blocker rings needed to rebuild the trans. I do recommend rebuilding it while its out (if you arent sure check all of the syncros) and i highly recommend taking it to someone who knows what they are doing.

the best price at a reputible shop i found is around 3 grand, so i found a known god trans and i just wanna put an lsd in it and get it going, as i'll rebuild the old trans and stuff when i pull it. not worried about tools, i either have them all or have easy access to them.

the best price at a reputible shop i found is around 3 grand, so i found a known god trans and i just wanna put an lsd in it and get it going, as i'll rebuild the old trans and stuff when i pull it. not worried about tools, i either have them all or have easy access to them.

That's about the price I found for a fully built trans. I went the same route it sounds like you are going. I just had a Torsen and FD installed. I had a trans that I was confident was in good shape so it was tough to justify spending that amount of cash to totally rebuild a perfectly good trans.

...so i found a known god trans and i just wanna put an lsd in it and get it going...

I heard those GOD trans are so awesome you don't even need an LSD diff (or ATB diff for most of us Contique owners :laugh:) as they are good for unlimited torque and horsepower with no upgrades.

I heard those GOD trans are so awesome you don't even need an LSD diff (or ATB diff for most of us Contique owners :laugh:) as they are good for unlimited torque and horsepower with no upgrades.
oh, thx mike lol

oh, thx mike lol

No problem :laugh:

Hey I don't suppose you've PM'd Livinsvt have you? He offers complete trans rebuilds with everything your looking to do and probably more for a pretty darn good price. May be worth looking into if you haven't already.

i have, but it's been awhile, i guess i can nag him a little lol

Back