• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

torsen spec 2 clutch noise?

Mr. Haines says there's a supercharged 3L running on an OEM. Dunno how long, but it's apparently been a while..... TRicker ran N2O on a stocker for a long time, too.

Mr. Haines says there's a supercharged 3L running on an OEM. Dunno how long, but it's apparently been a while..... TRicker ran N2O on a stocker for a long time, too.

Did I already say that I ran OEM on my 3L for two years? Did I already say that I ran the OEM 3 months on a turbo 3L and it would hold "most" of the time except in back to back runs at the track?
That's about 280/280wHP/wTQ for that period of time. The disk linings were fine when I pulled it out thought the springs in the hub showed significant wear.

So I think for a normal 3L or a supercharged contour OEM will work fine.

I have pictures of the second clutch that failed. The complete back friction surface of the clutch disentegrated within 15 miles of installing it. I guess the point here Todras is WHY do you continue to recommend spec clutches to people when it is proven that there are often problems with them? Take a hike over to the mustang furums and read about specs reputation. 2 Stage 1 Spec failing in 18,000 miles for me and the noise problems of this Spec Stage 2 means I will never use one of their products again. Roll your eyes up in your head and GET A CLUE BUDDY!!! SPEC IS GARBAGE.

GEE, I NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH MY SPEC CLUTCH FAILING.

What does that do for your point about everyone....

Mine is going out after about 18k miles as well. I'm not happy with it at all. After all of the bad things I heard about centerforce, I don't see how it can be any worse than my experience with Spec. (product, not cust service) But I don't know what to think.:blackeye: I'd like to upgrade to a stage 3, but how many times should I give my $ to Spec before I learn my lesson? Hell I'd buy an OEM SVT clutch if I thought it would hold up, but I've heard mixed opinions on running those with 3L's. I may have to try a centerforce clutch that everyone always talked down.

Yeah, but were you guys preparing the flywheel correctly when installing this clutch?
Was the flywheel two-step surfaced? Lots of variables here. I don't mind your assessment as long as it is qualified with all the details. After we get detailed we can see if it is the fault of the clutch or the preparation for the clutch.

"GEE, I NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH MY SPEC CLUTCH FAILING.

What does that do for your point about everyone...."

What is your point about everyone and where did I say ANYTHING about everyone? I said clearly there are alot of people having issues with Spec clutches. On the Contour forums and many others. Just do a search of spec failure or problems, they are not hard to find. If you did not have a issue and Todras did not great, but the others that are having problems indicate Spec has some issues.

Last edited:
Yeah, but were you guys preparing the flywheel correctly when installing this clutch?
Was the flywheel two-step surfaced? Lots of variables here. I don't mind your assessment as long as it is qualified with all the details. After we get detailed we can see if it is the fault of the clutch or the preparation for the clutch.

The second stage 1 that failed had a new flywheel. The clutch WAS defective, LOL THE THING disentegrated IN 15 MILES. 3 three Spec clutches installed in 18,000 is absurd. Beyond a issue with resurfacing the fly wheel there is not anything you can do wrong on a install to cause it to wear out this fast. A clutch ONLY goes in one way. Then you gotta just make sure you bleed it properly. Spec has problems and anyone that puts one in now is risking doing it again very soon!!!!!

The second stage 1 that failed had a new flywheel. The clutch WAS defective, LOL THE THING disentegrated IN 15 MILES. 3 three Spec clutches installed in 18,000 is absurd. Beyond a issue with resurfacing the fly wheel there is not anything you can do wrong on a install to cause it to wear out this fast. A clutch ONLY goes in one way. Then you gotta just make sure you bleed it properly. Spec has problems and anyone that puts one in now is risking doing it again very soon!!!!!

Well I won't lie....if I were in your shoes after that stuff I'd feel exactly the same way as you. :blackeye:

sorry to hear about your luck, that does suck.

i've had three different spec clutches in three different vehicles, ranging from 150 to over 500 lbs. of torque and never had any problems with any of them.

How can a clutch fall apart in 15 miles? If that were the case it the bits would have fallen off in shipping. When I put in a new clutch it's driven so lightly. Shifting around 2-3k for the first 500-1000 miles. At least I try. Don't know how the guys I've done clutches for have done. Never received a call back. Peepshow, seabass and myself have not had any issues. Peepshow and myself installed a new Ford TOB. Seabass has a Spec supplied TOB. And you had 3! Seems like installer error to me. Why is it when someone has an issue people come out of the wood work and never say anything prior? Never make their own posts!

Last edited:
Hey Tod, let me set the record straight right now. When I had the original problems it was posted and you said the same type of crap. You insisted that it was a throw out bearing issue and installer error and had nothing to do with the clutch. Do a search you will find. Now that more people are having issues I am going to speak up LOUDLY. There was NO installer issue. If you have really ever installed a clutch yourself you would know there is not much you can screw up. ONCE AGAIN the clutch only goes in 1 way it is NOT hard at all to install. Taking the transmission out in a Contour is what is hard. The facts are speaking for themselves now take a jaunt over to fordcontour.org and read about the people over there also having issues. Maybe you need to OPEN your eyes a little bit there Todster!

Last edited:
BECAUSE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WITH A PROBLEM! No one has reported an issue with one on a Contour but you. Tons of people have them on here. I have one and I've installed 2 other for people w/o any issues. They dust a little more but big deal.

If NO ONE has ever had a issue but me. WHY in this short time on this post alone have the following people posted issues with the Spec clutch?????
1. Tasso
2. SVT SHO
3. MattyK
4. Fordman302
5. Class SVT

Maybe when you piss excellence in the morning you need to take the blinders off, you seem to be missing the bowl!

If a clutch falls apart in 15 mins, I would think thats an install issue, not a SPEC issue. And the odds of 4 SPEC clutches going out that are installed correctly I would say are slim to none. Again, sounds like an install issue.

Did you guys clean the surface of the new flywheel and clutch with brake cleaner, or something else, before install?

I sure do. 2 step flywheel resurface, clean FW very well with brake cleaner, tq FW to spec, Clean FW again, & Tq PP in criss cross pattern to correct specs.

"If a clutch falls apart in 15 mins, I would think thats an install issue, not a SPEC issue. And the odds of 4 SPEC clutches going out that are installed correctly I would say are slim to none. Again, sounds like an install issue."

MY man if you are going cmomment at least know what you are talking about. Have you ever done a clutch job? I will answer for you, NO. Read what I have put in this thread about installing a clutch. THERE IS NOTHING TO IT, IT ONLY GOES IN 1 WAY. If you had ever done it you would know that. The only thing hard about the job is taking the tranny out. You can not goof up the install and cause the friction material to fall off in a few miles. Also it is 3 clutch installs NOT 4, 2 clutches failed and so the install had to be done 3 three times in 18,000 miles. THE CLUTCH WAS FING BAD UNDERSTAND!!!!!

Back