• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

torsen spec 2 clutch noise?

svt2sho

CEG'er
i just had a torsen and a spec clutch and flywheel installed ive ran it for 800 miles now and i have a loud screaching noise when i let out the clutch the first 3 or 4 times after i start the car when its been sitting for more then an hour. it also makes a weird noise kinds like gears turnig when im siting at idle but when i push the clutch in it gos away any ideas??? throw out bearing?

I don't know about the screeching and it bothers me.

The weird noise like gears turning is probably exactly that. Gear roll over noise. Some mild gear roll over noise is normal. It seems to be amplified with a light flywheel and a spec clutch. On a fully stock SVT is becomes more noticable as the clutch disc wears.

Todd, correct me if Im wrong please, but doesnt your SVT have a stage 2 clutch and at the Dyno for SZ, it was making a loud howling noise. Could this be what he is talking about?

Yes, but mine is a Unorth. Racing full face Kevlar unit. I've diven Spec 1's & 3's with no noise issues. Mine will always moan in reverse. It does it when it's cold in first when leaving from a stop. Sucks so bad but I live with it.

so..

so..

yeah i know they replaced it cuz i was there when they did this. also the noise only seems to happen when im on like a very slight hill or in reverse. the rolling gear noise also gos away when i push the clutch in. whats up with that? should i be worried about these noises?

also the noise only seems to happen when im on like a very slight hill or in reverse.

I think it's just the nature of that clutch. You'll learn how to modify your driving to minimize it. Yet another reason to go OEM or Spec 1 unless you're going F.I.

My Spec III (w/ flywheel) moans in first. I've tried to modify my driving to minimize it... But it's either some moaning, or too much clutch, which gives me straight-up chatter (ie shuddering). I'm starting to think something's wrong though, as no one else with a III has complained about moaning.....

My spec stage 2 has a nice noise at idle when im off the clutch..Sounds like a knock im guessing a gear roll over noise..Oh well i live with it.

Spec is garbage plain and simple. My first spec stage 1 failed after 18,000 miles. The second Spec Stage 1 failed in the first 15 miles the back side of the clutch disc all the material just disentigrated. The shop that installed it said they never saw a clutch fail like that the entire back side friction material turned to powder. So after sending it back to Spec they were wonderful enough to upgrade me to a stage 2 clutch FOR FREE. Yea it was really for free(right 3 clutch installs in 18,000 miles). So this Spec stage 2 has been working but I am just waiting for it to fail. Every time I start out cold the clutch howles just like you are describing when letting it out to engage. It will go away after the car gets to operating temp but it is a really pretty loud sound. I went with Spec because of many on this Forum talking them up but they suck.

Last edited:
I have pictures of the second clutch that failed. The complete back friction surface of the clutch disentegrated within 15 miles of installing it. I guess the point here Todras is WHY do you continue to recommend spec clutches to people when it is proven that there are often problems with them? Take a hike over to the mustang furums and read about specs reputation. 2 Stage 1 Spec failing in 18,000 miles for me and the noise problems of this Spec Stage 2 means I will never use one of their products again. Roll your eyes up in your head and GET A CLUE BUDDY!!! SPEC IS GARBAGE.

Last edited:
BECAUSE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WITH A PROBLEM! No one has reported an issue with one on a Contour but you. Tons of people have them on here. I have one and I've installed 2 other for people w/o any issues. They dust a little more but big deal.

CAN YOU READ??? I guess not pal because I am hardly the only person who has had problems with spec clutches.

Mine is going out after about 18k miles as well. I'm not happy with it at all. After all of the bad things I heard about centerforce, I don't see how it can be any worse than my experience with Spec. (product, not cust service) But I don't know what to think.:blackeye: I'd like to upgrade to a stage 3, but how many times should I give my $ to Spec before I learn my lesson? Hell I'd buy an OEM SVT clutch if I thought it would hold up, but I've heard mixed opinions on running those with 3L's. I may have to try a centerforce clutch that everyone always talked down.

Last edited:
Back