• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throwing IAC CEL with 3L IAC, old and replacement

How was banned camp?

I drove FCO crazy for a while, finnished my build up, and went on to pissing with lighting and stuff while I wait on a new credit card to pay for my clutch, and probably struts, quaife, and a whole bunch more spray paint.

dacker said:
Yup I am now convinced the car is trying to kill you. Glad to see you did get the oil issue resolved.

hahaha, his and mine and every body elses :laugh:

for the line, wtf, who in the world would cut the connector off the evap line, omg. who'd you buy this thing from? larry the cable guy?

the evap line isn't super important, all it does is draw a vaccum through the charcoal canister to remove vapor from the fuel tank. it's a tree hugger thing. so long as it's not capped off, the tank will still breath.

it's just like any other vac line though, so go to advanced and pick up a male/male vac line connector that fits the id, and some vac line, stick all that together and run it up to that brass nipple.

the evap line isn't super important, all it does is draw a vaccum through the charcoal canister to remove vapor from the fuel tank. it's a tree hugger thing. so long as it's not capped off, the tank will still breath.

it's just like any other vac line though, so go to advanced and pick up a male/male vac line connector that fits the id, and some vac line, stick all that together and run it up to that brass nipple.

I haven't pulled the electrical tape off of the line, but it could be capped off. Would that explain the hard starting? I wonder...

I was over at Dacker's yesterday and we noticed the TB plate wasn't closing as much as we though it should. And it looks like the screw/pin that holds it open had been tampered with (i.e. someone else tried to adjust it unsuccessfully). It wouldn't budge so we ground it down... a little bit too much. Put something else over it and were able to adjust it. It idles a lot lower and the plate closes closer to the stock 3L TB position. We ran some diagnostic tests with a Ford scan tool and it seems it was able to bump up the rpm to 2k with just the IAC, so it appears to be working. I am thinking wires at this point.

this is interesting to me, since for some unknown reason the place that sold me my 3l decided to remove the friggin IAC, so right now I've got my 2.5 one on it. we'll see how well it works I guess.

BTW brapple said to use the 2.5 IAC on a PORTED 3l, but you have a full 3l

uh, searching it looks like this turned out to be a problem, which one should I have on the 3.0? I've got the 2.5 on it and it runs, but it's got a mid throttle miss and it's throwing the 1506 now.

I can't fit a 2.5 IAC on my 3L upper. What swap are you running again? I could be wrong, but as a general rule of thumb, run the IAC that goes with the upper. Experts step in and correct me. It might be worth it to get a 3L IAC from someone who did a 3L swap but used the 2.5 upper.

I'm a full 02 sable, the bolt pattern is the same, but the taurus has two trapezoidal openings and the 'tour has two round openings. the bottom of the 2.5 iac isn't solid deck though, so I put rtv in the empty space and glued the gasket on it so it wouldn't leak, but it's kinda jacked up if ya ask me.

i haven't read this whole thread but here's what you gotta know.

there are four different kinds of IAC.

SVT style (contour v6 style)

two circular holes, but will NOT seal on a plastic manifold. the casting doesnt have enough flat surface on the gasket mating side, it allows air to bypass it and will giveyou a high idle and overspeed codes.

two circular holes, casting has a full machined gasket face and WILL fit. shorter solenoid body

two diamond shaped holes, plug exit out the side. this must be mounted with the plug facing the throttle body

and, the ever so needed (by me) 04-05 IAC which looks exactly the same as the 01-03 but has a rear facing plug exit and must be run wiht the plug end facing the passenger side of the car.

you need to run the IAC from an 04-05 (straight back plug style, not sideways) that will cure your problems.

i haven't read this whole thread but here's what you gotta know.

there are four different kinds of IAC.

SVT style (contour v6 style)

two circular holes, but will NOT seal on a plastic manifold. the casting doesnt have enough flat surface on the gasket mating side, it allows air to bypass it and will giveyou a high idle and overspeed codes.

two circular holes, casting has a full machined gasket face and WILL fit. shorter solenoid body

two diamond shaped holes, plug exit out the side. this must be mounted with the plug facing the throttle body

and, the ever so needed (by me) 04-05 IAC which looks exactly the same as the 01-03 but has a rear facing plug exit and must be run wiht the plug end facing the passenger side of the car.

you need to run the IAC from an 04-05 (straight back plug style, not sideways) that will cure your problems.

thanks man. will that clear up the miss? or just the DTC for iac overspeed? would you say the overspeed could be causing my 0171 and 0174's too? will it let that much more air in?

Back