• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throwing IAC CEL with 3L IAC, old and replacement

I will take a picture before I go to work tomorrow, when I have light. Then I can show you guys what tube I am talking about. What Adam has posted is the way the IAC is right now.

It would depend on which IAC you're using too. I really am not 100% sure on this, but it's worth a look-see. Just make sure that the inlet port is where it should be, and the outlet is where it should be.

They could have switched the orientation around with the newer IAC's for fitment. So when you mounted the 2.5L's IAC with the plug end facing the same way as the 3L's IAC, it was backwards..... if that makes sense. Just an idea for your troubleshooting process.....

Here is what I am talking about. We put a cap over the tube, with some RTV to seal it.
image014xl6.jpg

image015gs6.jpg

Thoughts?

Edit: Swazo, we never tried the 2.5 IAC. I decided against taking the IAC off my mom's 2.5.

From the looks of the pic that could be 1) Just another vac nipple 2) Something to do with the inlet of the IAC.

I would pull the IAC, and see if it ties into the flange/port at all. That *might* feed the inlet....

Well it's not the primary source of air since that is in the 3L TB and everything else is in the UIM itself, but it could have something to do with the regulation of the IAC. I don't know and I won't be able to take the IAC off to check where that tube goes until the weekend. It either needs to be sealed up or connected to something. Before it was just a hose with a bolt shoved in it.

Hey! That brass nipple is a primary vacuum port and should be used for the EVAP system that runs up the firewall behind the motor (the tube that used to connect into the pcv valve...It has nothing to do with IAC...if you don't use it plug it.

Hey! That brass nipple is a primary vacuum port and should be used for the EVAP system that runs up the firewall behind the motor (the tube that used to connect into the pcv valve...It has nothing to do with IAC...if you don't use it plug it.

Everything is either plugged up or connected to something. There are some hoses that run behind the engine, by the firewall, that are just connected to each other. Adam and I were wondering about that. I'll wait for Adam to weigh in on the vacuum port for the EVAP since he knows where all that stuff goes.

Mosh! Huge find!!! Thanks a bunch. Now that I think about it, I do not recall seeing that EVAP connection anywhere back there. If it is hanging unhooked that could/would explain a lot!!!

Everything is either plugged up or connected to something. There are some hoses that run behind the engine, by the firewall, that are just connected to each other. Adam and I were wondering about that. I'll wait for Adam to weigh in on the vacuum port for the EVAP since he knows where all that stuff goes.

This line is connected to the firewall....might be harder to see in a full 3L with the different UIM, but I bet it could be seen from the passenger side.

The circled area is where it originates....the other end is what I am anticipating being unhooked.

I do not recall seeing this ling hanging anywhere or hooked up anywhere for that matter. Could be a source of a vacuum leak? See if you can get a look tomorrow or even some more pics of back there.

useful2dp7.jpg

Follow the red lines closely...this is how it is connected in stock form. It goes from the PCV down along the firewall and connects as shown clearly in the first image.

useful1xo0.jpg

Yes, the vacuum line that on a normal Contour motor plugs into the PCV valve (just below the TB) needs to be connected to a good vacuum port on the 3L.

There are 3 vacuum sources on the 04 manifold. The big one that point towards the brake booster is an obvious choice to use for the brake booster. The one at the far side of the manifold is used by the EGR system and the fuel pressure regulator. It is also an excellent choice to use for the 2 small vacuum lines that run up the firewall on that side of the motor. I'm not sure what all they do, but some vacuum is supplied to the interior for operating vacuum servos.
The 3rd port is the brass nipple and is perfect for the EVAP line becasue of its location and because it's size is a better match. I have worked on so many motors I have an endless supply of Contour and Taurus vacuum fittings, so I was able to mix and match.

So remember there are three vacuum lines that are hidden by the firewall.

When I built my '04 3L I reference the other recent 04/05 builds and I checked out several old threads on PCV routing and the EVAP system....CEG is great!. Anyways my 04 motor runs like a friggin dream.

I took pics but forgot to bring the cable to connect it to my computer here at work. I did find one hose tucked, but not connected, behind the brake booster. It runs across the firewall but I don't know where it goes. It is capped off with electrical tape. I didn't have time to take it off and check to see what kind of hose it was. I have other problems to deal with now, so this will have to go on hold.

Yeah the one that I found has what looks like the wire protector/wire loom around it. The car is not going anywhere though, my Oil Filter Relocation kit started spraying oil all over the subframe where the old oil filter was, while I was driving to work. On my lunch break I need to jack up the car and feel around for where the leak is.

If it looks like that wire protector stuff, thats the line I am talking about. That baby needs to be plugged in to a vac source somewhere. I vote that brass nipple that we capped off with the 3/8 rubber stopper.

It almost reaches. I wasn't really trying, I just wanted to see what was disconnected. I didn't want to do something that would make the car not drivable. Turns out something else went wrong anyway.

The oil filter relocation kit is off and I no longer have an oil problem, thanks Adam. We took a quick look at the hose, but it looks like it was cut and there isn't enough to get it to connect to anything. Any ideas on how to extend it? I can post the pics, but there really isn't anything to see.

The car is not going anywhere though, my Oil Filter Relocation kit started spraying oil all over the subframe where the old oil filter was, while I was driving to work. On my lunch break I need to jack up the car and feel around for where the leak is.

Yup I am now convinced the car is trying to kill you. Glad to see you did get the oil issue resolved.

Back