• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stylin's full-3L 98.5 SVT install thread

Stylin55_oh

CEG'er
Hey guys,

I'm officially calling today day 1 of the 3L build on the 98.5 black svt i picked up with no motor. It's day 1 because i bought a 04 taurus 3L with 26,000mi. This install will be a full 3L install. No hybrid, no porting, just a stock 3L going into an svt. I will upload pictures as i go. I have already purchased headers and a y-pipe. This is my to do/buy list. any input as to what im missing would be greatly appreciated.

parts i need:
Exhaust manifold gaskets - $12ea. - XW4Z-9448-AA
MIL delete -?
high flow cat -?
cat back exhaust - ?
oil seal front timing cover - $8 - BCA part# 482041N
valve cover seal - ? - ?

parts i might need:
Cougar motor mount - $33 - 1S7Z-3A732-AA
new oil pan (escape?) - $110 - 3M4Z-6675-BA
new oil pickup - $35 - YL8Z-6622-BA
timing cover gaskets - $5ea. - F5RZ-6020-A,B,C
2.5L timing cover (since i only have parts of the old 2.5L i may not have one)
2.5L crank pulley
oval port injector connectors - $69

Parts not specific to the 3L but a good idea to replace:
lower control arms
brake pads
rotors
tie rod ends
struts
springs
waterpump (metal impeller) (2.5L)

things i need to do:
Trim alternator brackets
modify fuel rail (not sure if i have to)
use the 2.5L timing cover (change pulse wheel to 2.5 since I'm using a 2.5L computer)
remove pilot bearing off of crankshaft
get a tune after the car is together and running.

Transmission:
new Luk clutch - $210 - 07-137
ford slave cylinder (luk comes with one but ive been told its best to buy a new one from ford)
resurface the flywheel - $50
Rebuild & add torsen

i am referencing http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9272

i also have an 01 cougar shift tower that I could use but i would need to buy the cougar shift cable clamps, i am not sure if the cougar tower is an upgrade. I am sure it is, but i honestly dont know.

I would consider the timing cover seals and valve cover seals as 'needs'. After all the work going into this you wouldn't want oil leaks due to being cheap or lazy.

added them into the needs department. If that is inface the correct timing cover seal, i dont know where i got that part number for. I am planning on calling bill jenkins and hoping he knows what part numbers are for what i need.

Do you have the 2.5 wiring harness? Oil pan? Correct pickup tube depending on what oil pan you use? 2.5 Valve covers? 2.5 Alt bracket? waterpump and SVT oil cooler?

I know you mentioned the car having no motor, but I hope you have almost all the 2.5 parts still because you need alot of stuff!

Edit:

I just noticed you do know that you need either a 2.5 oil pan or escape pan and pickup tube so you're on the right track.

Last edited:
nice list u got there stylin. i dont mean to jack ur thread or anything. i apologize. my question is too simple and direct to start another thread. after a 3l is done, what are ppl doing as per the new dipstick levels? am guessing u just put in the 6quarts of oil and mark the new level on the dipstick right?:shrug: i searched in here and the archives but found a LOT of stuff. it was too much to go thru. thx.

nice list u got there stylin. i dont mean to jack ur thread or anything. i apologize. my question is too simple and direct to start another thread. after a 3l is done, what are ppl doing as per the new dipstick levels? am guessing u just put in the 6quarts of oil and mark the new level on the dipstick right?:shrug: i searched in here and the archives but found a LOT of stuff. it was too much to go thru. thx.

I just use the stock 3L dipstick and it seems to read just fine :).

Aaron

Do you have the 2.5 wiring harness? Oil pan? Correct pickup tube depending on what oil pan you use? 2.5 Valve covers? 2.5 Alt bracket? waterpump and SVT oil cooler?

I know you mentioned the car having no motor, but I hope you have almost all the 2.5 parts still because you need alot of stuff!

Edit:

I just noticed you do know that you need either a 2.5 oil pan or escape pan and pickup tube so you're on the right track.

I do have a wiring harness for sure.

I was not aware that i had to use 2.5 valve covers.

I will have to check and see if i have the alternator bracket or the oil cooler. I was a little mad when i went to get car and found the engine was already pulled and missing, but i got the car for $500 so i figured i could afford to buy a few missing parts.

I'm adding a new waterpump to the parts i should buy new list.

im going to be placing a larger order for parts tomorrow so if anyone sees something im missing let me know. I figured i should try and get as many parts on hand as possible.

You can use the 3L valve covers, unless they are for COP which you would need to change them. I'm doing one now in my brothers car & I'm using the taurus oilpan, I think I am anyway. :)

Im using the 04 taurus oil pan. No reason to spend money on the escape pan and pick up

The taurus pans height is fine. The 2 bolt holes are the only issue. My escape pan had the holes but they didn't line up. Thats been over a year ago & my trans hasn't fell out yet.

The taurus pans height is fine. The 2 bolt holes are the only issue. My escape pan had the holes but they didn't line up. Thats been over a year ago & my trans hasn't fell out yet.

Do you have pictures? I cant picture it..

Do you have pictures? I cant picture it..

IIRC someone had a thread that had pics of the oilpans side by side. There are 2 bolts that run through the oilpan into the trans & they are not useable if you use the taurus pan. I think the taurus pan actually has a lower profile than the escape one. I've got a pan but I dont have any pics. Actually I think I have a taurus, escape & a contour. I'll try to get a pic of them.

I believe he needs the entire 2.5L waterpump housing assembly for the oil cooler though since he isn't going with the escape motor having the cooler.

No, they are nearly identical, only difference being on the upper portion of the housing going to the block and the crossover. He will just need the lines that run to the useless SVT cooler.

Back