• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speaker in the back window?

There really isn't that much trunk rattle. The rattling that you get will come from the third brake light, and maybe from your license plate. I have had to replace 5 C74 bulbs in the third brake light since I've had subs...Many people custom cut a rag and shove it under the housing for the bulbs/circuit board. I tried doing this but it didn't help, because my problem isn't the housing vibrating, but the whole circuit board instead! So far I haven't devised a way to keep the circuit board from rattling, but it doesn't do it all the time so I don't mind too much...

I didn't have rattle from that. Of coarse I had a 2000 with the 3rd brake on the spoiler, but a lot of rattle came from the fresh air vent towards the back of the trunk. There's a flap that rattles BAD!

Ever seen This Is Spinal Tap?

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

I was going to do an IB setup in my '96 with my DD 1008a's, until I sold them. Future plans are 6 8" AudioQue's tuned to about 34Hz. Going to get loud! My 2 DD 8's flexed my windshield and knocked my rear view off, several times. That was after I 'fixed' the damn thing with Gorilla Glue...

i dont know about your system but my trunk rattles like a tin can, even with 3 layers of sound deadening on it, my rear deck was even worse till i put 10 layers of second skin on it and screwed it down.

I get lots of rattle too. Have put on sound dampener as well. Can't even turn the subs up full.

alright well i have a dumb question. my speakers buzz with bass when i turn em up to loud. if i put subs in does that mean the door speakers wont be doin bass anymore or what. how does the sub work basically.

depends, if you are using a stock radio then no. you would need to install bass blockers for the door speakers.

now with an aftermarket radio that has a sub out you should have hpf and lpf which you can cut off the bass to the door speakers

what is the model number on those Pioneers
TS-a6881r

You obviously hooked something up wrong, because there is no way that a factory speaker beats an aftermarket one unless you have a BOSE, Infinity, or Rockford Fosgate premium system from the factory... In those cases I can see the factory speakers being better than aftermarket...

at the beginning you'll see i said "make sure you don't have the premium infinities" as the ones that were in my car were infinity, and they sounded much better than the pioneers. now they may be aftermarket, but they look pretty aged and I thought those were the speakers you got with the premium sound package from ford?

Ford never used Infinity speakers, did they? :shrug: I know some older ones used JBL's. Maybe they were replaced at some point by a previous owner.

Ford never used Infinity speakers, did they? :shrug: I know some older ones used JBL's. Maybe they were replaced at some point by a previous owner.

Nope, they used JBL stuff... Ifinitiy you see on Cryslers, Dodges, Jeeps, and Mitsubishis for the most part. Rockford fosgate premium systems are starting to appear in some newer vehicles like the nissan versa and mitsubishi eclipse...

TS-a6881r

at the beginning you'll see i said "make sure you don't have the premium infinities" as the ones that were in my car were infinity, and they sounded much better than the pioneers. now they may be aftermarket, but they look pretty aged and I thought those were the speakers you got with the premium sound package from ford?

I have four of those Pioneers (doors) in my ride and I have never looked back. But again it all goes on how your system was set up and how your bass is being managed. I run 2 alpine amps, (1) four channel runs the Pioneers and I have (2nd) mono amp connected to my subs and have the cross over set to only handle the deep bass, bridge off amp (1).

I have four of those Pioneers (doors) in my ride and I have never looked back. But again it all goes on how your system was set up and how your bass is being managed. I run 2 alpine amps, (1) four channel runs the Pioneers and I have (2nd) mono amp connected to my subs and have the cross over set to only handle the deep bass, bridge off amp (1).

MRP-F450 + MRP-M850??

Personally I would like a setup of an in dash MV that had separate Pre-outs for F, R, an SW, a 4-channel for interiors and an amp for sub. My ideal setup would be a box non ported with 3 - 10" subs of decent power handling, my setup I'm going for soon will be 3 rockford fosgate P3 10" 4ohm DVCs with a kenwood kac-9103D to power them does 500w x 1 @ 4 ohm, 900w x 1 @ 2ohm, and 900+ x1 @ 1ohm stable.

Last edited:
that's why the sarcasm meter was a 10 afterward. and i don't care what 12 you are running, it wouldnt touch 2 18's. Then again, who needs 18's?

Please tell me you're kidding? No one can be that ignorant. ;) Put up 2 18" Pyles with a good 1200WRMS, they'll pop. Put up 2 8" 1508's from Digital Designs with a good 1500WRMS, and they'll handle it, and beat the 18's like the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:es they are. ;) Put up those 2 18's against a DD 9512, and you're getting laughed at.

Please tell me you're kidding? No one can be that ignorant. ;) Put up 2 18" Pyles with a good 1200WRMS, they'll pop. Put up 2 8" 1508's from Digital Designs with a good 1500WRMS, and they'll handle it, and beat the 18's like the :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:es they are. ;) Put up those 2 18's against a DD 9512, and you're getting laughed at.

Pyle.... they are what they say they are....

MRP-F450 + MRP-M850??

Personally I would like a setup of an in dash MV that had separate Pre-outs for F, R, an SW, a 4-channel for interiors and an amp for sub. My ideal setup would be a box non ported with 3 - 10" subs of decent power handling, my setup I'm going for soon will be 3 rockford fosgate P3 10" 4ohm DVCs with a kenwood kac-9103D to power them does 500w x 1 @ 4 ohm, 900w x 1 @ 2ohm, and 900+ x1 @ 1ohm stable.

Close MRP F450 + MRP M450

So you are trying to tell me a 8" sub is gonna grab lows like an 18" sub. Won't ever happen. Not enough surface area. Not to mention, you compared really high end subs to low end subs in order to make a point. What i was saying, in case i wasn't clear, was that a similar setup with the different size subs will be no comparison. Also, how come no one will read the end notes i put on my posts. Iirc, i did put, but who needs 18's one time, and i used the sarcasm meter prior to this.

Back