• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

re timing 98 zetec 2.0

Tony25

New CEG'er
Ok so after ive replaced the pullys how do i go about setting the timing corectly? The belt has skipped so the timing is off. Trying to make sure i have a good idea of how to do this before sunday. Everything is apart but im finishing sunday. Ill have to take some pics.

If the timing sliped due to a broken pully can the spots still be marked with a marker? Or is that for if you are just replacing it before it goes up? I may have to get a cam alignment tool none of the parts stores rent them that ive found.

You will need one of those tools, and the procedure. Did you find it? The crankshaft has to be positioned at Top Dead Center and then rotated to a mark on the pulley and the engine, and the cams have to be locked in a certain valve position. I read it long ago..I have the actual Ford CD at home. Take a look at Autozone.com.

Today i replaced the pullys and put the belt on. But when i started it it runs realy rough so i must have not set the timing corectly. Does anyone have a pic of how you lined this up/? I see the 2 notches on the pully and lined it up how the pic says and i stuck a piece of metal to hold the cam in the tds but it must not have been perfect. Im going to take it apart again tomorow. Spent 6 hours on it today lol Although it does start and thats a improvment from last week when the pully broke. And left me and the family stranded.

mine had no marks i could see ill tell you how i did it

1.) line up cam shafts with a piece of metal in the grooves on the drivers side
2.)get engine to topdead center, i did it with a long screw in #1 cylinder hole (passenger side) do not drop it!!with spark plug removed. all you need to is rotate the crankshaft until it is at the highest point. there will be a millimeter of dead space at the top.
3.)Keep everything where it is a connect pulleys and belt and your good to go
don't forget to lube up the camshafts
worked for me

I have the 1998 Ford service CD, do you still need any information? If so I can fire up my old PC to read it.

Last edited:
I got the timing set right! :) Woohoo!:) I forgot my camera when i went to work on it ( at my dads house) When i was putting it back together the pasenger side mount broke now i have to get one of them. I may check the junkyard in the morning everyone i called so far didnt have it in stock.

Ok so its running great now i had the check engine light come on and i had it check out. Variable Cam Timing Overadvance. Could this be a delayed reaction from my car? It didnt come on when it broke down and it runs better then ever.

Try clearing all the codes with the code scanner and try again. Maybe that code came on when you had it running badly? It's possible the timing isn't yet perfect, (hopefully not the case here). Code P1381 (overadvance code) search on old forum Go here http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php, Search:Zetec Maintainance/P1381/entire phrase/allposts/25. Looks like a lot of information there. (I could not link directly to the search results!)

Last edited:
I have posted this many times on the old board. Buy the crank pin and cam holding tool and get the tensioner set right. It only costs about $25.00. With the VCT Solenoid you have to get the timing exactly right or you will get the PO 1381 or PO 1383 code.

This might help, I found where Dec1000 posted last March:
You can get the whole kit from etoolcart.com for $22.95. That includes the cam lock and the crank timing pin. You can reach it from the top. Stand in front of the car and look down to the right of the heat shield and you should see a sensor that is plugged up. Right below that is a bolt. That is what you remove after you get it to TDC and then screw in the crank pin. Then turn your crank a little until it locks on the pin. Don't forget to remove it after you finish the timing job.

Seems like a deal! Try:http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=zetec&Page=1

Should it be ok to drive for now? It drives great just dont want to mess anything up. Do i need the pin ? Or should i be ok getting a piece of metal thats the same exact size as the tool?

The good thing is you can drive it now and make it perfect later! Those tools were cheaper than I thought.

Back