• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Portmatched or full 3L

yes exactly. but there is one more factor...
if you have a non svt motor.
so you have to decide whether buying all those parts and then doing the work. or just doing the work with a full 3L

i think svt44 got enough info to decide what hes more comfortable of doing

^ I agree.

I did notice that your running a full 3L (tuned or untuned?) with 199 HP, 195 TQ
I am running a ported 2005 3L untuned with 17# injectors and small SE contour lower intake manifold and getting 190 HP, 193 TQ.

tuned. on a mustang dyno. with a 2 hour dyno sesh which was way too short. also because its a mustang dyno i do beleive it will show up at least 10 more hp on a dynojet

do you have a dyno sheet. iv always wanted to race an untuned ported. yours sounds perfect. now get over here!

^

:laugh:

I have a graph somewhere and that was from a portable trailer dyno I was on. I have no idea how accurate those are :blackeye:.

I am under fueled, under tuned, and under air-flow'd :blackeye:...... Mine should hit 200HP/TQ easy once I get those parts swapped.

yes exactly. but there is one more factor...
if you have a non svt motor.
so you have to decide whether buying all those parts and then doing the work. or just doing the work with a full 3L

i think svt44 got enough info to decide what hes more comfortable of doing

Yes indeed, if you are buying all the svt parts in my opionion that is way more screwing around than a full would be.

Based off his screen name "svt44" I would have to assume he has all the 2.5L SVT parts needed for the ported swap. That has been my assumption the entire time.

If he doesn't have any of theSVT 2.5L parts, then yes go for the full 3L.

Easiest thing to do is just buy a 3.0L already in good running condition. That is what I did....twice. First one was much better though. lol

200hp should be easy for u. i got a 65mm tb and a msds y-yipe since my tune. i wanna get a retune with a min of 220. i wont leave with any less then that.lol.

and i think he said something about having to hunt down for svt parts. so he doesnt, (also i assume)

Based off his screen name "svt44" I would have to assume he has all the 2.5L SVT parts needed for the ported swap. That has been my assumption the entire time.

If he doesn't have any of theSVT 2.5L parts, then yes go for the full 3L.

Ah yes, very perceptive! I'm a little slower than normal today. Screw it man! Throw one of those weirdo VVT engines or whatever the heck they are in that thing, that fits right??? :)

I have the svt parts u listed but thats it guess i got lucky with that one lol. I have money to re do my whole car so moneys not a problem just was trying to see what most people seem to go with. Do u guys have any upgrades on ur transmissions or did u leave them stock

I have the svt parts u listed but thats it guess i got lucky with that one lol. I have money to re do my whole car so moneys not a problem just was trying to see what most people seem to go with. Do u guys have any upgrades on ur transmissions or did u leave them stock

well u shoulda freakin said something! lol
go with what ever u want. just get a nice dyno tune and an lsd for your tranny, and you will love your car

btw another reason i didnt go with ported, lack of svt parts, and imrc's constently failing. mine failed couple thousand miles before my 3l swap, not gonna go through such a huge hassle again

I like these threads even if they get a little pissy... I am planning on converting to 3.0 in the next 12 months. I'm WAY late to the game, but I'm trying to read up. :)
Erick --

Lol im thinking about just doing the ported with a dyno tune but did u upgrade ur lsd

I like these threads even if they get a little pissy... I am planning on converting to 3.0 in the next 12 months. I'm WAY late to the game, but I'm trying to read up. :)
Erick --

I like these threads too actually. Given the platform and it's age, I like the fact people are still doing these swaps and keeping their cars on the road.

You will want to upgrade your differential in your car with a 3.0L. It is just dumb not to. Stock ones blow up from being in just a nonsvt 2.5 with moderate driving. The extra power/torque that a 3.0L have been known to grenade them. These cars don't come with a LSD, you will need to get either Torsen or Quaffe (how ever you spell it).

Lol im thinking about just doing the ported with a dyno tune but did u upgrade ur lsd

You'll get a whole new debate on this topic, but if cash isn't much of an issue then yes do an LSD and get the trans checked out, sycros have been known to fail.

Im thinking about the torsen ive seen alot of people upgrade with that one

Back