• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Portmatched or full 3L

Turbo diesel, I say yes.

Really with any type of 3L swap it's a lot of work for your average guy doing an engine swap for the first time. If you can sort through the information on here you will find an answer to almost every question you have about any 3L engine or configuration. I hope the OP isn't getting discouraged because a 3L Contour/Cougar is totally worth the work. Just plan and research and make sure you don't rush your way through it. I think it would be hard to find two swaps that were done identically, all have little variations, some better some worse.

You are right. That is untuned using the SVT PCMIAC-DPFE computer. If you get the computer from a 1999 Pontiac Alero code ECM2121, that is a direct bolt on to your knock sensor and already has the tune in it you need.
Man if I only would have known that I would have skipped that whole XCAL crap!

Because they are pain in the rear to build for the most part....and most expensive.

I dont see how it'd be more of a pain in the rear, i can see expense though if you have to go out and buy the heads.

I heard the new latest and greatest swap was the square port engine. Any truth to that?

No, its the octogonal port :laugh:

yes a taurus pan will work just fine. execpt the fact that a taurus pan in a contour/cougar will sit about 2 inches lower then the stock pan. there is no way im gonna risk cracking it or even bottoming it out. it takes a grand total of 10 minutes to swap it for your stock and its free too.

Please stop talking. I've built, driven, and sold tons of 3L motors with the Taurus pan. The pan works fine and is NOT too deep and causes no clearance issues. Not to mention it has updated baffles and the new style rubber oil pan gasket. Swapping to a stock pan is a dumb idea and a waste of time.

Please stop talking. I've built, driven, and sold tons of 3L motors with the Taurus pan. The pan works fine and is NOT too deep and causes no clearance issues. Not to mention it has updated baffles and the new style rubber oil pan gasket. Swapping to a stock pan is a dumb idea and a waste of time.

Thank you.

please stop talking. I've built, driven, and sold tons of 3l motors with the taurus pan. The pan works fine and is not too deep and causes no clearance issues. Not to mention it has updated baffles and the new style rubber oil pan gasket. Swapping to a stock pan is a dumb idea and a waste of time.

this!!!!!

well my taurus pan was 2 inches lower than my stock. so there.
disreguard all my other comments

Stock pans are fine :laugh:.

Good info on the other pans :D.

They do work fine. I used a stock pan on my first 3L because I didn't know if the Taurus pan would work. I'm just saying we can use the Taurus pan. :laugh:

I hope everyone reads this far into the thread :laugh:.

Lets make it bigger:

we can use the Taurus pan

I give him points for being so insistent even when arguing with two people with how many builds under their belts???

Of course, those points arent worth much, but points nonetheless!

i never said they dont work. i said im not gonna risk cracking it from being so low and i wouldnt want others to either.
other then my 3l pan i had i dont know what else is out there. and theres really no piont in arguing, nor do i want to argue, so lets drop it. and help him instead eh eh?

i never said they dont work. i said im not gonna risk cracking it from being so low and i wouldnt want others to either.
other then my 3l pan i had i dont know what else is out there. and theres really no piont in arguing, nor do i want to argue, so lets drop it. and help him instead eh eh?

How many people have you heard of cracking their oil pan? I can't think of one person on this site who has done that...well besides from hitting a giant rock in the middle of the road, hitting another car, or roadkill. Even my old car, I never worried about cracking the oil pan...and it was low....actually this low and it could have gone MUCH lower
100_1314.jpg

i really dont want to put useless info in this thread. but iv hit my stock one more then once. i cant even imagine it sitting 2 inches lower. just my .02. who cares... end/subject

Back