• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

parts

I go pick up the block today after work.

still waiting on the head but it should be done by the time i get the bottom end together.

ok looks like the ARP main stud kit will NOT work with the pre98 zetec. the main caps are just too big. :( looks like i will have to find a set of main cap bolts somewhere

I was afraid of that. Could you get the main caps machines down on the side so that the main bolts will work? Either that or contact ARP to see how much that they would want to make you a custom set the right length.

BP

i dont want to machine the caps and i dont want to wait for ARP to try to make me some. i just spoke with ford and they said the original bolts are discontinued :(:eek: thankfully they confirmed what i has hoping for in that they are not torque to yield bolts and can be reused.

BTW i f-ing hate spiro-locks:mad:

well as of monday night the piston/rod assemblies, crank, oil pump, waterpump, and oil baffle and pickup are on and torqued. hopefully the head will be done today and i can pick it up and at least get it torqued down.

for those wondering i used focus rods, pistons, and bearings with no problems. it takes maybe 5 ft/lbs of torque to spin the assembly. its soo smooth :D

Kickass!!! You've show some pics of the purdy assembled Zetec when you get the head on.

It's also good to head that the Focus pistons/rods drop right in. I'm definitely going to be getting the Diamond/Crower combo for my turbo buildup.

BTW, did that header get to you OK?

BP

yes the manifold made it just fine, although i still have to figure out the best way to cut the flange off. i will get some pics of the assembled bottom end and completely (minus accessories) assembled this weekend

LOL! I knew I should have asked you... I've got a metal bandsaw at work. I could've just sent you just the flange. Doh! :troutslap:

ill figure something out. even if it means i have to go buy a bunch of hack saw blades and do it by hand.

Last edited:
It still needs the front and rear main seals and the oil pan installed but other wise the lower end is finished. i talked with the machine shop today and he said he should have my head ready by monday.

SSPX0067.jpg

SSPX0068.jpg

SSPX0069.jpg

SSPX0070.jpg

SSPX0071.jpg

The only thing I would say (besides SWEET) is you might have wanted to spend an extra ~$50 and had the piston tops de-burred. The sharp machined edges of the valve reliefs on the pistons could lead to hot spots and pre-detonation.

Back