• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

optimized throttle body...kind of awesome

Did you have any trouble removing the screws for the TPS and the butterfly plate? I couldn't get mine off with a crappy bench vice and a screwdriver without starting to strip them, so I gave up.
The screws are peened at the end, they're not meant to be unscrewed so good luck

you cut that part off before you take them out.:shrug: pretty easy if you make a clean cut.

I didn't even do that and I had no trouble unscrewing them with a cordless drill :shrug:
And no, I didn't damage the threads in the shaft by doing so. The new screws went in perfectly and securely.

Seriously, nothing about this is hard with common tools.

i've had to use one of those screw drivers that you hit w/a hammer and it turns to get the tps screws before...they can be pretty stubborn

i've had to use one of those screw drivers that you hit w/a hammer and it turns to get the tps screws before...they can be pretty stubborn

Or, you can grab the end very carefully with a pair of vice grips...

Leverage FTW!

BTW, you can get the screws out without cutting the backs off, I personally find it a lot easier to just cut the backs off and then they unscrew nicely with no risk of damaging the threads of the half-shaft...

Or, you can grab the end very carefully with a pair of vice grips...

Leverage FTW!

BTW, you can get the screws out without cutting the backs off, I personally find it a lot easier to just cut the backs off and then they unscrew nicely with no risk of damaging the threads of the half-shaft...
think i'm going to go and experiment w/that extra svt tb i have now:laugh:

opt tb

opt tb

I opt my tb a while ago it really did make a difference! crazy what a little grinding and 2 countersunk screws can do.

Back