• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

On my third clutch master cylinder. This is a public service announcement.

deyes2

CEG'er
I don't post much but this is really starting to irritate me. I drive a 96 GL MTX, back in 09 my clutch master cylinder went out. Went to Kragen/O'rielly's picked up a new one, FAG brand I believe. Popped it in, solved my not being able to get into gear problem. Worked fine for all of six months. Failed again, returned it (lifetime warranty). Popped it in, problem solved once again. Fast forward and a year and a half later it goes out again. Going to pick up another one this afternoon. This will be the third one! If this one fails I'll just consider the $50 a loss and get one from the FORD dealership. FYI, stay away from the FAG Kragen clutch master cylinders unless you want to become an expert at swaping clutch master cylinders. Thank you for listening to my rant.......

Just one piston in the thing, leaking into the pedal side of the piston. Replaced it again, flushed and filled my hydraulic system. Bled it. Works great again. Fingers crossed. German made master cylinder, go figure.

Just one piston in the thing, leaking into the pedal side of the piston. Replaced it again, flushed and filled my hydraulic system. Bled it. Works great again. Fingers crossed. German made master cylinder, go figure.

This is a little surprising. FAG is a very well known company. I've actually worked with them personally. However I worked with their bearings division. They are a OEM supplier so they may actually be supplying Ford with their parts. If you've gone through three I wonder if there is something else going on... maybe an alignment issue? Maybe your putting a side load on the piston causing the seal to wear prematurely?

Back