• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not the easiest install ever

Squirrel

New CEG'er
So I assume there is no way to wire my own speaker wire through the doors and into the amp?

The factory amp really throws a wrench into wiring this car, is the easiest way just to splice into the harness from the factory amp and then back to my amp in the trunk?

I tapped into the factory wires where the factory amp used to be. But my system isn't quite a competition system, so I didn't feel the factory wiring would hold me back enough to warrant wiring it myself. :shrug:

when I installed my amps I ran speaker wire back to the radio and used the factory wiring to connect to the speakers. My car also does not have premium sound. I was also able to use the wiring harness adaptor that I already had for the aftermarket radio to make it all work.

I'm still at a loss, i'm confused, do I take the wires from the amp bypass and connect them to my head unit speaker wires? if so, how the hell do I hook my amp up, i'll have nowhere to run the speaker wires?

Cant you use the FACTORY AMP SPEAKER OUTS as the "CENTRAL SYSTEM" to tap those door speaker or am I wrong? I thought thats what I did with mine....so I didnt have to buy a bypass.

The factory amp ........well...ya okay if youre tryinmg to make it simple, and keep existing wires...

1.Connect your AMPLIFIER speaker outs to the FACTORY AMP SPEAKER OUT SIDE. Wouldnt that work?

Its like using the bypass harness from deck, but here, in your case were using AMP out? Because the STOCK wiring comes FROM the FACTORY AMP? Am I wrong.

So in essence you want to send amp power to the FACTORY AMP SPEAKER OUT's cause it juices the SPEAKER WIRE? But, not anymore, NOW your CONNECTING YOUR AMP"S OUT's to these WIRES>

I snipped and spliced IN to the FACTORY AMP SPEAKER OUTS..from my HU ..on my install, cause I wanted to save the 15 bucks....yes, of coarse all 8 of them. (I cant remember wich one is pos or neg from the factory amp harness anymore tho..the amp is removed of coarse, your looking for the harness from the FACTORY AMP if you want to do it that way.

Only other option is to yes, you got it......remove panels and reinstall.

Someone diss me on this internetz style if im wrong and mess up my sig too for old times...

Last edited:
i ran my wires from my aftermarket amp to the speaker wires. up front where they would enter the factory amp. i just tested each wire to find which was which door and wired them togeather.

Thats what he is asking about and what we have been commenting on...

Oh really, well then in that case.....

Forget the bypass, cause its wack in your case. splice connections from your AMP to the SPEAKER OUT harness that is ON THE FACTORY AMP. YOU WILL REMOVE this HARNESS and cut PLASTIC HARNESS OFF. Find wich ones are + and - and go to town.

SOmeone tell him what harness it is if anyone can remember cause I can't.
Still have questions?

u can definitely run wire directly to the speakers. just takes a bit more work and a little drilling. i did my wiring for the front and it came out great. anyone looking at the door jamb who didnt know the car wouldnt notice anything strange. pics r in my sig but its set to private for now. i need to redo that account. pm me if u want to see them. i've got 2 16 gauge wires running to each front door. one for the mid one for tweeter. back doors i didnt bother with. kappa 5x7s running off the hu so i can fade them in for people in back seat

Please refer to the last part, if you did a search you'd find the thread about bypassing the factory amp, which if you use a harness, makes running a 4 channel in this car insanely easy!

So I assume there is no way to wire my own speaker wire through the doors and into the amp?

The factory amp really throws a wrench into wiring this car, is the easiest way just to splice into the harness from the factory amp and then back to my amp in the trunk?

This factory amp (assuming were talking about a contour) makes doing bypasses and 4-channels EZ

I ran the front wires up to the amp bypass harness and ran the rear wires up to the b-pillars and spliced them in there.

Could of just went to factory amp... and used a harness to get the speaker ouput connection from the amp...

Oh really, well then in that case.....

Forget the bypass, cause its wack in your case. splice connections from your AMP to the SPEAKER OUT harness that is ON THE FACTORY AMP. YOU WILL REMOVE this HARNESS and cut PLASTIC HARNESS OFF. Find wich ones are + and - and go to town.

SOmeone tell him what harness it is if anyone can remember cause I can't.
Still have questions?

Integrating is not smart....

Refer to this bypass thread in the old forum, complete with pictures, will show you were you can hook in with a harness to use the speaker output connection from the factory amp, makes it really easy!

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ber=912076&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Last edited:
Last question then, since I think i'm on the same page, finally..

And yes it's a contour BTW.

I run all my speaker wires from my 4 channel, to the amp bypass harness? do I need to hook anything to the HU, because it's hooked up, but I still have speaker wires that won't be hooked to anything, because the HU harness I bought came with two harnesses, one for the power, ground, remote, etc.. and a seperate one for just speaker wires.

Last question then, since I think i'm on the same page, finally..

And yes it's a contour BTW.

I run all my speaker wires from my 4 channel, to the amp bypass harness? do I need to hook anything to the HU, because it's hooked up, but I still have speaker wires that won't be hooked to anything, because the HU harness I bought came with two harnesses, one for the power, ground, remote, etc.. and a seperate one for just speaker wires.

Sorry, I had read that earlier and it slipped my mind... since you're going to be running all your speakers through your amp.. you'll need to run 2 pairs of RCA's to your 4 channel amp.... or just one and split it at the amp... then you'll loose either fade or balance if you do it that way.... You'll need to run the amp turn on wire to the remote turn on, on the amp. Cap off your speakers wires coming off your deck since you won't need them anymore... You'll also need to power up your power antenna if you have one as well, you can use the power antenna wire or the amp turn on wire to do this as well...

Alright so one more post about it. ;)

These wires from my HU will stay as is, not connected to anything, correct?

Picture%20192.JPG

Alright so one more post about it. ;)

These wires from my HU will stay as is, not connected to anything, correct?

Picture%20192.JPG

Yes the white, gray, green, and purple pairs of wires coming off the deck can be capped off. Just make sure none of your 4 pairs of wires cross at all. Cap them all off individually. I suggest crimp caps, but tape works as well, just do each wire individually.

Wiring%20Amp%20turn%20on%20up.JPG

If you'd like more wire configuration questions answered, since it takes sooo long to type explanations, I'd rather to voice chat, just PM me and we'll set something up on like Skype or something....

Back