• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New project Underway

I had SVT intakes on it and I didnt have a tune at all.

yes that explains why the number are real low no tune robs you of 15whp easy on 3 liter swaps and I am leaning towards the SVT UIM being still to small where the 3 liter UIM split port would flow better MAYBE we will see. Joey

I'm not sure I even know what to say.
Being unique is one thing but pure stupidity is another :nonono:
-J

I am not sure that I agree that it would be stupid.

Although swapping a Duratec into this Nissan has a certain neat factor because of utilizing this engine in a different manufacturer's car, the swap is essentially a lateral move; DOHC for DOHC, lots of aluminum, modern design, etc.

However, if Burrita is able to prove the concept, then my ambition to put the Duratec into a more popular platform, like the Mustang, may be justifiable because the Duratec has a lot to offer as a transplant motor, if it can be done.

For example, the Duratec is more compact and should weighs less than any engine ever standard in the Mustang which properly utilized can shift the COM lower and more rearward in chassis for improved weight balance. A rod and piston swap is likely to make the Duratec capable of higher HP than a factory block 5.0/5.8 for less than the cost of an after-market block. Additionally, the ease with which a Duratec can be utilized up to or beyond 7,000rpm, a properly setup turbo kit can permit the engine to have both good low rpm (<3500) cruise fuel economy and high rpm (>3500) power.

Although swapping a Duratec into this Nissan has a certain neat factor because of utilizing this engine in a different manufacturer's car, the swap is essentially a lateral move; DOHC for DOHC, lots of aluminum, modern design, etc.

However, if Burrita is able to prove the concept, then my ambition to put the Duratec into a more popular platform, like the Mustang, may be justifiable because the Duratec has a lot to offer as a transplant motor, if it can be done.

For example, the Duratec is more compact and should weighs less than any engine ever standard in the Mustang which properly utilized can shift the COM lower and more rearward in chassis for improved weight balance. A rod and piston swap is likely to make the Duratec capable of higher HP than a factory block 5.0/5.8 for less than the cost of an after-market block. Additionally, the ease with which a Duratec can be utilized up to or beyond 7,000rpm, a properly setup turbo kit can permit the engine to have both good low rpm (<3500) cruise fuel economy and high rpm (>3500) power.

Yes i never thought of it that way because we kow these blocks and crank are overbuilt plus I want to show everyone the new rods I have for half the price of pauter and still forged I have one set in a turbo car right now and is handling the power great so far so if the rods hold up we can build a strong motor for less the 2k. Joey

Well, you can make an arguement for anything I guess, but it is in NO WAY worth the cost or time investment to do this swap IMO.
The Fox chassis and SBF are the 2 most cost effective platforms available and to swap in the Duratec is a waste IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Duratec is a great motor and has a ton of potential but I could build a 302 based motor that would make the same power and weight about the same. An aluminum headed 302 is about the lightest SB would can build and is used in many swaps for that reason.
A properly built 347 inch 302 can be made to make 500hp NA and pull over 7k with a hydraulic roller if you know what you're doing.
To each his own, but I can't understand the swap into a Mustang. :shrug:
-J

Well, you can make an arguement for anything I guess, but it is in NO WAY worth the cost or time investment to do this swap IMO.
The Fox chassis and SBF are the 2 most cost effective platforms available and to swap in the Duratec is a waste IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Duratec is a great motor and has a ton of potential but I could build a 302 based motor that would make the same power and weight about the same. An aluminum headed 302 is about the lightest SB would can build and is used in many swaps for that reason.
A properly built 347 inch 302 can be made to make 500hp NA and pull over 7k with a hydraulic roller if you know what you're doing.
To each his own, but I can't understand the swap into a Mustang. :shrug:
-J

I am with pope on this one. Sure, a 302 is cheap and easy, but as you get towards 500 hp you have to worry about the block splitting in half. My machine shop gave me a quote on a fully built 4-bolt main dart short block that could handle 700+whp and you are talking well over 5grand. I would bet that a duratec still weighs considerably less than a built 302. If you are into road racing or autocrossing i bet the weight distribution would be better. Plus you would be obd2. I also had considered this, but decided to sell the mustang instead.
Besides, I built my turbo system because I was sick of seeing supercharged mustangs that were all the same, now even turbo ones are everywhere. Sometimes I just like to be different and original.

Yes i never thought of it that way because we kow these blocks and crank are overbuilt plus I want to show everyone the new rods I have for half the price of pauter and still forged I have one set in a turbo car right now and is handling the power great so far so if the rods hold up we can build a strong motor for less the 2k. Joey

If those rods are the ones sold by Carillo they were manufactured in China....

Well, thats the only reason to do this, not cost or performance.
-J

I disagree completely. I know I'm late to the party here, but there are a LOT more factors to performance than simple power output.

I can think of a number of good reasons to consider a Duratec in a mustang race car. The fact that the duratec is considerably lighter than a stock block 5.0L while capable of putting out similar power with the right modifications makes it a viable option for someone willing to go through the trouble. Another factor to consider is that popular racing series for mustangs, like American Iron, have rules provisions that dictate no minimum wieght requirement for 4 and 6 cylinder cars . . .

It certainly isn't the right choice for everyone out there, but there are most definately viable technical reasons to consider a Duratec in a Mustang in some cases.

I disagree completely. I know I'm late to the party here, but there are a LOT more factors to performance than simple power output.

I can think of a number of good reasons to consider a Duratec in a mustang race car. The fact that the duratec is considerably lighter than a stock block 5.0L while capable of putting out similar power with the right modifications makes it a viable option for someone willing to go through the trouble. Another factor to consider is that popular racing series for mustangs, like American Iron, have rules provisions that dictate no minimum wieght requirement for 4 and 6 cylinder cars . . .

It certainly isn't the right choice for everyone out there, but there are most definately viable technical reasons to consider a Duratec in a Mustang in some cases.

Like I said you can make an argument for anything. I like the Duratech, great motor, but I can't see this as reasonable in any way.
You may know---how much weight difference in a Duratech + turbo vs. an aluminum headed 302 :shrug: . It can't be much difference at all and they can roughly make the same power. Even if you get a weight break for a 4/6 in AI, I'd still use the 2.3 Turbo 4.
There would be a lot of fab work for a Duratech in a Mustang and to me its like trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm not interested.
-J

how much weight difference in a Duratech + turbo vs. an aluminum headed 302 :shrug: . It can't be much difference at all and they can roughly make the same power.

Demon lists a fully dressed 2.5 as 365lbs Link

Ford lists a 302 Aluminum Head Long Block Crate Engine at 467lbs Link admittedly, the weight appears to include the shipping crate, however, the weight of components required to achieve a fully dressed weight will most certainly equal or exceed crate weight. This guy lists a fully dressed '91 5.0 as 543.7lbs Aluminum heads would save what? 50-60lbs.

A typical t3 or t4 turbo weighs in the 20-35lb range, even with pipes and an intercooler a turbo Duratec will weigh less than a naturally aspirated stock block 302 and will weigh significantly less than an aftermarket block 302 or a 302 with a power adder.

I respect that this swap idea may not be for you, but as a couple of us have noted there are definite areas where this swap could have merit. I have hinted toward some of my motivations, Rara stated one of them without knowing it. I even acknowledge that I am probably crazy for even contemplating this swap since the 2.3 Turbo 4 is definitely easier, I just never liked that engine.

yeah...I was sort of saving up for the possibility of getting a merkur...but with no where to put it, I decided to dump all my money into the koni kit I purchased a few days ago and various suspension goodies :laugh: The merkur will come eventually though!

Personally, I'd rather have a mid-engine vehicle for a project car. Shame that there aren't too many to pick from. Fiero? MR2? Noble M400?

Back