• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New FPV Limited Edition Vehicle

I had an 04 GTO. It was a lot of fun. The major thing they did to make it for the US market was to relocate the fuel tank. This made for a very small trunk. Like other outsourced cars, the Australian version had some more upscale options. I have replaced it with a Solstice. Now my Mystique is the big car.

I know this is 2 years old... but... INSANELY curious, if anyone here has gotten one, or knows anyone with one of these?? They look sweet! Do they correlate at all with Focus, Fusion, Taurus lines from here in the USA, or are they their own unique models just for Aus?

As far as I know they are Aussie only designs and share next to nothing with anything that we have here in NA.

Now that said at two years ago at SZ when I was talking with the guys from Ford Motorsport they were telling me that Ford planned on bringing global collaboration to the table with their performance divisions. He went on to say that in Detroit they were going to have people representing the Americas SVT, European RS, and Aussie FPV. They would be tasked with working on new cars together, designing a global platform of performance cars. However to this point I have not seen any evidence of this yet.

As far as I know they are Aussie only designs and share next to nothing with anything that we have here in NA.

Now that said at two years ago at SZ when I was talking with the guys from Ford Motorsport they were telling me that Ford planned on bringing global collaboration to the table with their performance divisions. He went on to say that in Detroit they were going to have people representing the Americas SVT, European RS, and Aussie FPV. They would be tasked with working on new cars together, designing a global platform of performance cars. However to this point I have not seen any evidence of this yet.
Up until that last part, I had quite the rager in my pants.

...but what's product design & development time? Seems plausible it could take several years for a design or concept to make it into production (if ever, of course). So... we could still have hope, right? :)

Funny... I was just perusing FPV's latest line up a couple days ago. Ford really needs to bring the Falcon over here... and all of the FPV hotness!

...but what's product design & development time? Seems plausible it could take several years for a design or concept to make it into production (if ever, of course). So... we could still have hope, right? :)

A couple years ago, when that was heard, Ford had intended to make the next-generation Falcon be a world car -- the main problem with the current one was that, unlike the Monaro/GTO, it simply could not be made in left-hand-drive. But when redesigning the Falcon it was decided not to make it LHD-compatible.

And now the next-gen Falcon is most likely going away as a standalone vehicle and will instead be based on the Taurus -- the market for large, RWD mass-market sedans even in Australia where they've lasted this long is dying fast will almost certainly be dead in 4 years. There's a chance it'll be based on a global RWD platform like the Mustang, but with recent announcements having the Mustang moving towards a smaller vehicle, I don't know how that'll pan out.

So even if we get a "Falcon" one day it most likely won't be like the Falcon was up to this point.

Back