• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help!!

2kSVT

CEG'er
OK, so I got the new injectors and harness from Joey this afternoon. We install the harness and injectors and test that they have power before putting it back together. We apply turbo tune to car, and the moment of truth. It starts and runs for about 5 seconds and dies. It then just turns real fast and no start, kinda like no compression. So we take it back to stock tune, to see if it makes a difference. Same result.
I talk to Joey, check for fuel..yes. We check that we have spark from the boot..yes. When you turn it over it just sounds like no spark/compression.
One of my buddies was checking injector wire harness with pointy voltage tester. At this time I was re-installing turbo tune. During the install, the Xcal says download malfunction and stops dead in it's tracks. Now, when you turn the key there is nothing, no idiot lights or sound. I call Joey who has me call SCT direct. The guy says it sounds like a fuse or something as the Xcal cannot recognize the key is on. After some time with them, we check every fuse in both boxes. The SCT guy says he has seen 3 computers fry during download using Xcal in his 3 years there. As we are scouring the car for the problem, I see a hole poked in one of the red injector harness wires under the UIM. Could it fry the computer if he went clear through the wire and touched the metal fuel rail. I was in the car when the download failure happened. He was checking the wires at the same time. Are our pcm's truely unique?? Advance auto says they are the same, and $270+ $75 core, and they have to special order it.

This does not explain, the stall and not re-starting, but now it won't take a tune or recognize the key. This is my DD and it has been down for a week. I'm throwing $$ at it and I need it running. I can't rely on borrowing the neighbors car much longer. I need help guys! Thanks

Rod

yes if the xcal2 craps out and does not finish uploading the tune it will not start.

does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on? if so I believe the PCM is ok and working. You need to upload the tune again and it will be fine.

also was this xcal new or used? if its used and wasn't reset it doesn't have your factory tune on it so putting it back will mess up the pcm also, it may or may not run.

When you turn the key to "on", there is no light on the dash at all. It's like the battery is unhooked.

The Xcal 3 was brand new, tune pre-loaded by Joey and purchased in last few weeks.

Do you think the PCM is fried? Anyone have a XGT1 lying around??

Rod

Damn dude, one problem after another! I really have no idea here. On an unrelated note, did you pull the fuel pump fuse when uploading the tune?

I actually read the OP this time. :eek: Check your blue 20A PCM fuse in the underhood box. I've blown mine before and it had effects like what you're describing.

Hey Rod if you had a wire ground out to the UIM it can short the PCM out and I can find you a XGT1 for under $100 but you will need to get your keys reprogramed to it too so be prepared to spend $100 more for that. SCT usually is pretty good at seeing problems but make sure you have all the fuses checked I have seen 3-4 pCM fried this year.

I found a PCM for $55 but call SCT follow up and make sure the PCM is fried first. Joey

Rawburt, yeah the fuse was out. Joey if you have one, I'll probably need it. I checked every fuse in the car and some of the relays with the ones from Sprayed's car. I was thinking it was the PCM, because the download failure happened while Jay was poking around the injector harness. Joey, they said to send the PCM and the Xcal to then and they can test it on a bench. Is there an easier/quicker way than taking this car out of service for longer. Can a local performance shop test the PCM..and/or put your tune on it?? I'm borrowing my neighbors car, and this crap is getting old.

And how does the re-program of the keys work? Do they need my keys and PCM at the dealership?? My understanding is a new PCM, wiht my current key and it will not run or run for very short time and die. This means more down time! Remember, the car ran for 5 seconds and then acted like no compression after too. The possible PCM problem is one thing, but the car didn't run either! This sux, paid $100 bux for 17# junk injectors,and now the PCM may be fried, and the d@mn thing still did not run on it's own. Any local help would be appreciated. We are all new to this turbo stuff and I'm starting to have regrets messing with a good thing.

Rod

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles...so close to finished too.

Just a word of advice for the future. I believe I read on the SCT website or SCT xcal manual to turn off all accesories and do NOTHING related to the electrical system when uploading/changing the tune. Just sit with the door closed, no radio, no moving widows or anything, thereby keeping the voltage to the PCM constant.

I wish I could lend more of a hand... good luck.

If the fuse was out then you must have a short somewhere. Use the wiring diagram in the manual to determine which sensors the PCM fuse is attached to. I blew a PCM fuse earlier this week because the VSS shorted out due to bad wire coating. The XCal wont boot up if the fuse is blown. Fix the short and pop a new fuse in there and you should be good to go.

Rawburt, yeah the fuse was out. Joey if you have one, I'll probably need it. I checked every fuse in the car and some of the relays with the ones from Sprayed's car. I was thinking it was the PCM, because the download failure happened while Jay was poking around the injector harness. Joey, they said to send the PCM and the Xcal to then and they can test it on a bench. Is there an easier/quicker way than taking this car out of service for longer. Can a local performance shop test the PCM..and/or put your tune on it?? I'm borrowing my neighbors car, and this crap is getting old.

And how does the re-program of the keys work? Do they need my keys and PCM at the dealership?? My understanding is a new PCM, wiht my current key and it will not run or run for very short time and die. This means more down time! Remember, the car ran for 5 seconds and then acted like no compression after too. The possible PCM problem is one thing, but the car didn't run either! This sux, paid $100 bux for 17# junk injectors,and now the PCM may be fried, and the d@mn thing still did not run on it's own. Any local help would be appreciated. We are all new to this turbo stuff and I'm starting to have regrets messing with a good thing.

Rod
by this post, i'm guessing u found the problem, which is the fuse right? if its the fuse in the fusebox, why do u need another pcm? does a burnt fuse require a new pcm? if so, u'd have to have ur keys reprogrammed. it only takes the dealership a couple of hours or so to get it done. about 200bucks plus covers it.

Edit--- dang it blackcoog.:) i guess we were on the same wavelength. one more thing y2k. problems like these are most likely gonna come up when u start to mess with a stock car. it could happen to any other car. most of us with TCs or SCs have had to work out a few bugs b4 the car performed like expected. so dont give up. stay with it, cos once she does run, u wont be able to wipe the smile that will follow off ur face. trust me;)

Thanks guys, I checked all the fuses in both boxes and none were blown. The problem was the "download error" occured while it was midway through the download. It now left the PCM blank or with not enough info to recognize the key. I have an interior light and horn, but the car acts as if there is no battery hooked up otherwise. I spoke to Joey today, and I'm going to send the PCM and the Xcal3 to SCT. They will fix the Xcal and check the PCM. If the PCM is ok, they will put the stock tune on it and send it back. Joey said the voltage tester mishap may have dropped the voltage needed by the Xcal, causing the error. My hope is this happened before it shorted out the PCM.

Then we have to find the reason it wouldn't run after it's initial 5 seconds and then died. Again after it died, it turned over fast like no compression or no spark. We did have gas spraying and spark coming from the boot. It is frustrating cause I don't know enough to pinpoint the problem. I have been good with finding a problem and fixing it myself..with the assitance from alot of CEG'ers. So someone come fix this thing, and you get first ride! ;) So the car is down for longer.

Rod

Hang in there Rod, you'll get it all figured out. And once you do, you'll have no regrets.

Heres a little story to make you feel better about trouble shooting. When I first installed my turbo kit, the car would smoke like crazy out the exhaust. And I mean CRAZY, it would smoke out the entire road everytime I touched the gas pedal. It was so irratating and went on for months before me and Joey figured it out. Ended up being to big of an oil feed, and too small of a drain. So trust me, I know how you are feeling, granted mine was running, but it was pretty much undrivable because everytime I took it out, it would smoke out the road and was dangerous to other drivers lol. So hang in there man, its worth it in the end! You have my cell if you need anything.

Well, I mailed the PCM and XCal this morning to SCT. The post office says they should have it Monday around noon. I wrote "urgent, car not running" all over the box! The guy on the phone said to do so. He said they put them on a shelf and fix them as they come in. He is gonna try to get them to fix it quick and get it back in the mail.

Joey mentioned the wiring harness to the injectors could have been compromised during the modification of the injector harness. I wonder how much that little gem is? He is sending a crankshaft sensor and a cam positioning sensor. (i think)
He said these can also cause the no start problem I had. I hope this beast roars soon. I'm driving a 1991 Olds Cierra 4 banger right now. My neighbor is awesome, but it isn't the same.

Rod

Yeah, James at SCT called today. My PCM was o.k. they put the turbo tune on the PCM while it was on the bench. They put the stock tune on the Xcal3. He still thinks it is a blown fuse somewhere. I checked every fuse in the engine bay fuse box tonight. Other than this one and the one under the driver's side...are there any other fuses that may have caused the problems described above?? He said they would get it in the mail this morning. I hope it is here Fri. or Sat. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Rod

Cool, thanks. I'll check that. It is wierd that all of the sudden it just died, and then acted as if there was no battery hooked up. It had no power at all. Anyone have a picture of this Mega fuse's exact location.

Rod

Back