• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Very Own Turbo Thread! (to be a long work in progress)

UPDATE:

Hey everyone, we are roughly at the halfway point of the install. I ran into a question though. I recall reading that the stock 19# injectors might be a tad bit too small to work with forced induction. I believe they max out before 300hp. I have 42# green top injectors that I was planning on using, but Greg mentioned that they might be too big to use. For what it's worth, I am boosting a pretty much stock CSVT 2.5L engine.

I am only running around 8psi boost (38mm wastegate) so I'm not sure if I will even max out the stock 19# injectors. and I'd hate to use these green tops if they will cause me to run too rich or idling problems. Greg will be using a "Sniper" tuning software if that makes any difference.

So my options are, try tuning with stock 19# injectors and see if I run too lean, and if those don't work, put in the green tops and hope we can tune the computer to send a short enough pulse at idle, or the third option is to try and find some 24# injectors. However, most 3.0L engines from the past ten years actually have 19# injectors. So it would be a tad harder to find specifically 96 to 99 DOHC 3.0L Taurus/Sable injectors :blackeye:. I unfortunately read that just because they're light blue, doesn't mean that they flow 24#. So it gets tricky to find actual 24# injectors, since even color doesn't matter.

scaled.php

Yep, step up the injectors. Pretty sure I have multiple sets of 24# from past 3L swaps. PM if interested.

I ran 24's on my 2.5 turbo, and they worked fine. However if your tuner is any good he should have no problem getting the 42's to work fine.

I'm starting to get confused with all the different injectors :confused:.

I currently have stock '98 CSVT injectors in my stock engine. However, the turbo kit I have came with green XL3V-A5A injectors. It turns out that these injectors might be too big and cause a tad of a rich mixture. This will lower power and possibly mess up the cat converter. Plus with $4.25 a gallon for super, I'd like to stay away from too rich of a mixture :laugh:.

In the CEG classified section, I found a set of injectors stamped with "0 280 155 849" which look a little on the used/dirty side, but Jtidaho says that they're 24lbs so I thought I'd give them a try. However, a Google search brought up a Jeep forum which states, "Those are not 24# injectors. They are actually 27# on the 49psi fuel rail. Way too large." So are "0 280 155 849" injectors 24lbs or 27lbs? Which is even stranger is that some sites say that these injectors also go by the part number "XF1E-A5B." However, on another Jeep forum, someone states that these are 24lbs. Jtidaho is asking for $50 for the set.

Also, SHOgoFast was kind enough to tell me about some injectors he has. He has two different sets, both from 04+ 3.0L engines. I initially recall reading that only 3.0L engines from '96 to around '99 had 24lb injectors. I recall reading that newer Tauruses/Sables were switched over to 19lb injectors :shrug:.I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I even read that on CEG. but anyway, one set is black "4L8E-A4A 9F593 244" and one set is gray "2F1E-A7A 4260 191 06" which gives me two more options for injectors :crazy:. He says, "A quick google search turned up the blacks being 24# from a taurus and the grey's are 21# from a Sable. That makes sense as I have had both Sable and Taurus 3Ls in the garage. However, I never knew they utilized different sized injectors in the 3Ls." I did a Google search of my own and the part number for the black injectors seem to correspond to the Escape, Explorer, Mariner, V8 Mustang, and also Sable. So I'm confused on why the Sable would have 21lb and 24lb options. In either case, the black ones seem to flow at 25.5 lbs/hr @ 3 BAR, which seems like exactly what I need. Plus these injectors seem to be more common than the "0 280 155 849" injectors Jtidaho has. These black ones were apparently used in a lot of vehicles! Whereas I couldn't find out what year 3.0Ls used the "0 280 155 849" injectors.

I'm really confused with all this :crazy:. Plus I had no idea until recently that injectors have mini filters in them? Does that mean that if I purchase injectors that are too old that I can run the risk of them having dirty filters? I knew that most (if not all) cars have fuel filters in line, but I did not know that injectors had filters as well :confused:.

if stock 3l's came with 24's you need way larger.
the size the the injector doesnt make a difference whether its running rich or lean. a tune will make it perfect. so idk what this bull•••• everyone is saying

the size the the injector doesnt make a difference whether its running rich or lean. a tune will make it perfect. so idk what this bull•••• everyone is saying

So the three people who mentioned it know nothing about it but all have turbos in their car. Ok.

he isn't running a 3L, so he doesn't need the normal 42# injectors that everyone one with a FI 3L is using.

and the injector size will make a difference. Push more air throught the engine then the injectors can add the correct amount of fuel and it will run lean. The tune can and does controll the amount of fuel, but the injectors have to be sized correctly. To large or to small and there will be to much or to little fuel for a tune to adjust for.

I ran 24's on my 2.5 turbo, and they worked fine. However if your tuner is any good he should have no problem getting the 42's to work fine.

did you make up for lack of size by increasing the fuel pressure ? say 60 psi ..... G.

he isn't running a 3L, so he doesn't need the normal 42# injectors that everyone one with a FI 3L is using.

and the injector size will make a difference. Push more air throught the engine then the injectors can add the correct amount of fuel and it will run lean. The tune can and does controll the amount of fuel, but the injectors have to be sized correctly. To large or to small and there will be to much or to little fuel for a tune to adjust for.
BrApple is correct. I am still running a stock e0 SVT engine, so the 42# injectors that came with my kit are way too big to tune down to use in my engine (or so I've been told). A tune can compensate for moderate changes in the fueling system, but bumping up from 19# to 42# is apparently more than the computer can compensate for. I'm not sure how true this statement actually is, but two sources have both told me that I will need, ideally, 24# injectors. Since I highly doubt that I will surpass 300HP, I guess it makes sense that 24# injectors should be enough.

Please refer to post number 45 in this tread, as I am trying to narrow down two different sets of Ford injectors. I am hoping that someone with experience can tell me the difference between the two :blackeye:. I am sure that there is a difference, but I am having trouble finding out what.

Please refer to post number 45 in this tread, as I am trying to narrow down two different sets of Ford injectors. I am hoping that someone with experience can tell me the difference between the two :blackeye:. I am sure that there is a difference, but I am having trouble finding out what.
I bought a split port LIM from a 3.0L Taurus many moons ago .... it came with a set of blueish injectors (i still have them, just not to hand). I think the two sets of injectors are from split port and oval port engines ... so the injectors have narrow and wide spray patterns .... G.

BrApple is correct. I am still running a stock e0 SVT engine, so the 42# injectors that came with my kit are way too big to tune down to use in my engine (or so I've been told). A tune can compensate for moderate changes in the fueling system, but bumping up from 19# to 42# is apparently more than the computer can compensate for. I'm not sure how true this statement actually is, but two sources have both told me that I will need, ideally, 24# injectors. Since I highly doubt that I will surpass 300HP, I guess it makes sense that 24# injectors should be enough.

actually you can go from 19# to 42# injectors with a tune, i did that with my car. But as noted, for a stock 2.5L, you don't need 42# injectors.

did you make up for lack of size by increasing the fuel pressure ? say 60 psi ..... G.

No, that was on the stock fuel pump/MAF as well. Fuel pressure was just like stock.

To the OP, as I said before if your tuner has any knowledge at all he can make any injector (that fits) work with your car. If you have enough fuel pump then the injector size shouldnt be a problem. I ran 9 psi on my stock 2.5 on 24lb/hr injectors for several months with no issues.

any injector will be tuned and can be tuned on a car. you have a 2.5 turboed. obviously the #42s are too big and the #24s are too small. because you are pushing more power then a 3L!

you need something in between 24 and 42s

fuel injector calculator. USE IT!

There are more then one online and they all say you need at least a #36ish injector. remember injectors cannot, and should not be running past 80% duty cycle so make sure you put 80% or LOWER into the calculator

obviously all im trying to do is help you from making stupid mistakes but do what you want if you dont want to listen

fuel injector calculator. USE IT!

There are more then one online and they all say you need at least a #36ish injector. remember injectors cannot, and should not be running past 80% duty cycle so make sure you put 80% or LOWER into the calculator

obviously all im trying to do is help you from making stupid mistakes but do what you want if you dont want to listen

There are a lot more experienced people on here who have run turbos on their cars trying to help him.

i understand. but ford put 24 puonders in a 3l N/A FOR A REASON. no offence, but ghetto moding is stupid. just because something works doesnt mean its correct or works properly. why not just use duck tape to fix a lower control arm while your at it?? cuz its not correct

i understand. but ford put 24 puonders in a 3l N/A FOR A REASON. no offence, but ghetto moding is stupid. just because something works doesnt mean its correct or works properly. why not just use duck tape to fix a lower control arm while your at it?? cuz its not correct

Well, that isn't too far off from their design of the two bolt arms....you didn't work for them did you? :)

Back