• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Very Own Turbo Thread! (to be a long work in progress)

i understand. but ford put 24 puonders in a 3l N/A FOR A REASON. no offence, but ghetto moding is stupid. just because something works doesnt mean its correct or works properly. why not just use duck tape to fix a lower control arm while your at it?? cuz its not correct
Thank you very much for the reply, but I'm a bit thrown off by two different opinions going on in this thread :crazy:. What I gather is that no one thinks that I should keep my stock injectors in lol. However, what I replace them with is where issues arise.

The reason I am hesitant to use the 42# injectors is that I was told they will cause a rich idle, and may even be rich while driving. So I see your point and agree that I won't be maxing these injectors out (that's for sure lol), but from what I read, since they are so much bigger than stock, the computer will have trouble sending a short enough pulse at idle to compensate for the huge size difference. With only a slightly bigger injectors, say 24# injectors, I would be running at a higher duty cycle, but the tuning would need less adjusting.

According to beyondloadedSE, Demon did some datalogging awhile back and 24lb injectors were at 66% duty cycle at 215 whp (~262 bhp). This is about 95% duty cycle with 19 lb injectors. So in other words, he claims "No way you're getting to 300 bhp on 19 lb injectors."

Also, will I still be able to use the stock MAF with either the 42# or 24# injectors? Or will I need a bigger MAF with the 42# injectors?

Thank you very much for the reply, but I'm a bit thrown off by two different opinions going on in this thread :crazy:. What I gather is that no one thinks that I should keep my stock injectors in lol. However, what I replace them with is where issues arise.

The reason I am hesitant to use the 42# injectors is that I was told they will cause a rich idle, and may even be rich while driving. So I see your point and agree that I won't be maxing these injectors out (that's for sure lol), but from what I read, since they are so much bigger than stock, the computer will have trouble sending a short enough pulse at idle to compensate for the huge size difference. With only a slightly bigger injectors, say 24# injectors, I would be running at a higher duty cycle, but the tuning would need less adjusting.

According to beyondloadedSE, Demon did some datalogging awhile back and 24lb injectors were at 66% duty cycle at 215 whp (~262 bhp). This is about 95% duty cycle with 19 lb injectors. So in other words, he claims "No way you're getting to 300 bhp on 19 lb injectors."

Also, will I still be able to use the stock MAF with either the 42# or 24# injectors? Or will I need a bigger MAF with the 42# injectors?

you are right on. and i see you are worried about running slightly rich at idle. like iv said, id use a injector calculator, and find out the smallest injector you can use at 80% duty cyle. and use the closest one ford offers.

also, if #24's are soo big, then why would ford put then in a n/a 3l? wouldnt it run rich at idle? no, because they are perfect match to the power. do not go too small on injectors, go "just right";)

edit:also it depends on fuel pressure. im not sure what the contour has but at 45psi and for a goal of 300hp(crank) you will need greater to or equal to #37

I make 215whp with 19lb injectors and am still tuned a little rich. I doubt they're at 100% duty cycle, but I guess it's possible. :laugh:

my vortec kit came with 39lb injectors for use on a 2.5L.

I'm happy about their size because over the life of the injector, the fuel regulator and the pump, the spare capacity of the entire fuel system will reduce the risk of my engine running lean.

I think anyone running any component of the fuel system at close to maxium capacity, is storing up trouble .... G.

I have 42lbs injectors and my idle may be just a bit lean. Any injector can be made to work if the right tune is used. It is very easy to have a small pulse width in the tune during idle. Idle is easy, full power and part throttle not so much. Lets not get away from the fact that there is no replacement for displacement. If you can't supply enough volume when you need it then the motor won't be happy. Why take the chance?

My son uses 39 lbs injectors now and they work perfectly. I would not stay with 24lbs. You can find larger ones cheap enough.

obviously the #42s are too big and the #24s are too small. because you are pushing more power then a 3L!

you need something in between 24 and 42s

How many turbo Contours have you owned? Driven? Worked on?

Several of us in this thread have gone through what the OP is going through, and are offering valid information. 24lb/hr would be fine for a 2.5. Obviously the larger the injector = more room to grow power wise in the future.

Also there is no cap in max injector size. If I wanted I could run 150lb/hr injectors, but its simply not needed.

Every car is different, depending on how its tuned, products used, weather(location of the car) etc.

As I have said several times, if your tuner knows anything about tuning he will be able to make any injector idle/drive like a stock car. Its not until you get into the larger output injectors (like what CSVT#49 is using, 1000cc+) that it would even remotely be a problem.

Since you have 42# injectors, use them. It will save you money in the long run vs buying another set of injectors, and give you room to grow for a possible 3L.

As for the MAF, it depends on how many MAF counts it is seeing while being datalogged. I had the stock MAF on my 2.5 for years with no real problem. The most important thing with MAF's is that the airflow is a straight as possible before and after the sensor to get reliable readings. If you need/want to get a larger MAF most use the Lightning MAF's (80mm or 90mm depending on years).

Thank you, I really appreciate the input guys. I finally had some time to read through all the posts, so I will be giving the 42# injectors a try first. If we run into problems tuning (running too rich), then we will try going smaller, but for now, stock MAF and 42# injector test run coming up :). I should have results by May.

Thank you again everyone!

Back