• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my new svt

Devilsword

New CEG'er
here it is really stock 2000 csvt manual black and tan with wheels off a 98. 160000 miles new tires, clutch, brakes, pads, rotors, and a ton of spares (extra skirts, bumpers, lights, engine parts ect.). he also tossed in a set of motegi track lites for a little extra. in the end i paid 1700 for everything and i still need to pick up another truck load. did some cleaning, repaired the engine mount, and replaced the sunroof motor so here are the pictures.

normal_20140510_091915~2.jpg
normal_20140509_202542~2.jpg
normal_20140511_182632~2.jpg
normal_20140511_182638~2.jpg
normal_20140511_180444~2.jpg

here is a picture of the broken engine mount. the bolt sheared completely off so i replaced it with a grade ten with a crush washer. if anyone want to know the bolt is a M12-1.75 x 40mm. the other problem i ran into is erratic hesitation with no CEL. sometimes at 5000rpms sometimes at 6500rpms sometimes at 4200rpms. i read about problems with the the fuel pump with a 1/4 tank or less. going to fill up tom and see if it fixes it but already looking to pick up a new filter. don't know when i will tackle replacing the whole pump setup. ALso i seem to have a problem getting into reverse(i though fixing the tranny mount would help this) i checked all the linkage is there anything else i should look into for that or just in general to inspect this new car?

Cool parking lot picture!

I don't see the engine mount picture.

Fuel pump can be accessed thru the floor under the rear seat. You have to cut a little bit of metal to get the whole assembly out.

There are no syncros for reverse, so sometimes the gears will not mesh quite right (Owners Manual says to wait 3 seconds). Maybe your reverse ring mechanism is not working correctly?

Reverse in the MTX-75 IS syncro'd, that's why we have that reverse lockout collar. The Getrag M285 in my SVTF also has a syncro for the reverse gear.

Don't know much about those transaxles, but I would assume they are not, not many are, but again, that's why they added a reverse lockout to the shifter on the MTX-75.

EDIT: OP; stock trans fill on the MTX-75 was Mercon, which has caused many a member to have shifting issues especially in low gears. Typically I only see it in cold weather, but Royal Purple Syncromax fixes those issues completely. It could also be a result of a misalignment of the shift cable if you've taken them off the shift tower recently, though usually you'll also note difficulty getting into another gear or 2 as well.

Aside from those, it's not the best shifting transaxle ever, not in cable shift anyway, so maybe it's just that.

Don't know much about those transaxles, but I would assume they are not, not many are, but again, that's why they added a reverse lockout to the shifter on the MTX-75.

EDIT: OP; stock trans fill on the MTX-75 was Mercon, which has caused many a member to have shifting issues especially in low gears. Typically I only see it in cold weather, but Royal Purple Syncromax fixes those issues completely. It could also be a result of a misalignment of the shift cable if you've taken them off the shift tower recently, though usually you'll also note difficulty getting into another gear or 2 as well.

Aside from those, it's not the best shifting transaxle ever, not in cable shift anyway, so maybe it's just that.

First filled it up and the hesitation stopped so i am sure it has the older faulty pump. I am going to replace the inline filter first before tackling the intank through the rear access. Just dont think my wife is ready to see me cut into the car without some trouble coming from it.

As for the shifting it really doesnt feel as precise as it could. I did a visual inspection of the bushings but didnt see anything. The only gear thats a little rough is 4th sometimes. On occasion i need to hold it back in the gear before releasing the clutch. This makes me feel the linkage isnt as tight as it could be. Also see some rocking in the shifter so now since i
fixed the tranny mount i prob look at the rear. I plan to switch to royal purple throughout the engine. Its what i run in my race car and its save me more than once.

Speaking of such i hear there is problems with throwing bearings with long sweeping right handers. Prob due to sloshing in the pan. Has anyone found the exact cause of this, if it is a problem, and the fix? Not planing to install an accusump on this car but i do live in va mountian road country and might take a pass at Vir so this could be important. Lol

There are 2 possible causes, poor baffling in the oil pan, and not enough drainback holes in the head. It's mostly alleviated by running more oil, I run 6.5qts. If anything you may have lost a shift bushing, drivers side on the shift tower, inner bushing is typically fine, but the outer one on the white cable end is probably gone, you'll know it's gone because of the large amount of front-to-back play at the shifter while in gear. You can't buy them anymore unless svttour has some laying around, I have heard some have had success shoving an appropriately sized piece of hose in there but have never tried it myself.

Hmm okay i take a look tom see if its all where it should be. Thats good to hear about a little extra oil i tend to do that anyways but will make sure to in the csvt.

Back