• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Car VS. 1998 Honda Civic

96Mystique

CEG'er
My buddy just bought a car, a 1998 Honda Civic EX to be exact. The car has a 1.6L SOHC motor. The mods on it are a short ram air intake, headers, and a cheapo eBay muffler. It has a 5 speed manual. The car is decently fast, with the right driver. He drove me to the gas station to pick up some brake fluid, and was 'hot rodding' it all the way there. It got up to speed pretty fast, but nothing too impressive. I told him I would race (legally, we have a road race that my town shuts down a certain area of the main road so people can show off there cars, ect. ect.) The other day he was saying his car would smack my 1996 Mercury Mystique, with the 2.0L Zetec. My mods are a TRUE cold air intake (to be installed) and a custom cat-back exhaust. I drove him up to a local parts store and I was getting on to the interstate, and he made a comment, 'Yeah, this car can't touch my car', so I got on the gas getting on to the interstate, all he did was stop talking. Mind you, currently my car is fully stock, with an automatic transmission, but I still can get up to speed quicker than his Honda, but I don't know if I can get to the speeds he can. We just got off the phone, and he mentioned something about the race, and a wager, I told him I would have to figure something out, and for him to figure out what he would want to happen, if I lose. I'm fairly certain that my car will get his in this little race, so I'm thinking I may wager a $700 tool chest that I've had for a few years, if he can't figure out what he would want. I know he'll like that idea, since he's been looking for a cheap one, and has been asking about mine. I'm wanting to know what you all would ask for/have him put on the line for this bet? He has an air compressor setup that I could use for my sheds to keep them air ready for whenever I start doing more Car Audio installs, and car repairs. He got it for free, so I know he wouldn't care too much about getting rid of it, do you all think this would be a good demand?

Also, I'm needing to know what you all think, who may win this little race. Plus a little input on maybe getting a better run on him, just incase you all think my car doesn't have the 'balls.'

these threads are lame.

and if your car were a stick I would say you, but the civic has you on this one. a Stock EX with a 5 speed can run a low 17 in the quarter, and that motor is very friendly to bolt on mods, he probably is in the high 16's and the automatic Zetec contour runs about an 18 second quarter mile stock, and modding with a slushbox really wont give you much better, hector had a heavily modded Automatic zetec contour, including a supercharger, and he never even made it into the 15's in the quarter. Just gives you an idea of how hard it is to make an automatic zetec get moving.

Last edited:
How good of a driver is he?? If he sucks you *MAY* have a chance....

Pull off a good solid launch and hope that he screws up... You're going to have to launch the car hard. If you've never been to a real track you're going to want to practice. Best way to launch an auto (what got my nearly stock v6/auto to a 16.4) is to drive 2-footed... Left foot on the brakes, right foot on the gas... Hold the brakes as hard as you can and push the gas pedal down till just before the car starts to creep... At the green light, you floor it and let off the brakes.

Actually, now that I think about it, I ran a 16.3 in the Mystique. But, that's off topic... ;)

He's a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty driver. Last time he attempted to 'burn out,' he went into a ditch. The wheel had caught, and he just kept on it trying to show off, now he has a huge dent in his fender! I drive '2-footed' all the time. I think I'm going to get some 'practice' runs in, just to see what my car will actually do, then have my buddy come over and have him do some runs.

see if you can do a race from 70+ you'll make him look real stupid from those speeds! well even 40

That's not really possible, as it's only a 1/4 closed down, and 30 feet for line ups, and tire warming. The 40 is possible, as the interstate is right next to my house, and at them speeds I could keep it just at legal limits.

i know starjammir's old mystique which had some bolt on mods and was an auto 2.5 lost to my auto 4 banger corolla, i ran a 16.9 :laugh:

although when we switched cars i beat my corolla, so i guess starjammir wasn't a good driver at the strip.

These threads are especially lame when they are in regards to two incredibly slow cars.

Why not just challenge your civic driving friend to a good old fashioned foot race? I guarantee that will provide the both of you with more excitement than racing an ATX zetec with an autozone modified civic.

I hate to sound lame also, but will my 2.5 Duratech ATX Contour with 121K beat the same Civic? This girl at my work drives an 03 Cavalier with an automatic and I'm wandering if my Contour could take her. :)

My friend has the exact same kind of civic, slow as hell. If you drive with two feet you could pull it off, but make sure you install in the intake. My car almost took an eclipse gs stick shift, with about 200 lbs taken out of it, and my car is the same as yours. My friends civic is just a weak car, if you take some stuff out of yours it might help, spare tire jack, random crap in glove box. Anything you can that you can put back in, makes a difference.

And if I'm looking at this right, his engine should be pumping only 105 HP. While the Zetec is about 127, + Mods

Last edited:
I hate to sound lame also, but will my 2.5 Duratech ATX Contour with 121K beat the same Civic? This girl at my work drives an 03 Cavalier with an automatic and I'm wandering if my Contour could take her. :)
:confused: A Cavalier DOES NOT have the same engine as a Civic.

IIRC most of them come with a 2.2....

Last edited:
A GS? BS! I should know, my buddy had a 95 GS and that thing was hitting low 17s and high 16s. With a zetec mtx it's a drivers race...with the atx, no way. That is, unless the guy drives piss poor or had something wrong with his car.

My friend has the exact same kind of civic, slow as hell. If you drive with two feet you could pull it off, but make sure you install in the intake. My car almost took an eclipse gs stick shift, with about 200 lbs taken out of it, and my car is the same as yours. My friends civic is just a weak car, if you take some stuff out of yours it might help, spare tire jack, random crap in glove box. Anything you can that you can put back in, makes a difference.

And if I'm looking at this right, his engine should be pumping only 105 HP. While the Zetec is about 127, + Mods

why do you have 200+ lbs of crap in your car?

:confused: A Cavalier DOES NOT have the same engine as a Civic.

IIRC most of them come with a 2.2....

Thats the good ol ECOTEC engine... LOL

18ecotec.jpg

Back