• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my boosted 3L

newguyhooah

CEG'er
Ok, I am back! I have been driving my Contour svt , 3L turbo for a while now and have been through many tunes. It is getting better but it still just seems off. I know I need a few more tunes before I get it perfict . My problem is that I still suck up butt loads of oil into the throttle. Also can not pass emissions and I think my turbo has bad seals. Other than those problems I had every other smog piece back on. But I think my egr is bad. I also re routed the bov into the intake . When I them up the boost it tends to stutter a little. Not shure if its detonation or just the tune or oil in the inrake. I am just venting and have no real question cause I am very frustrated! Any advise would be great. Also I think i am going to have it tuned for e85. Heard it will run better

dont switch to E85 until you have the standard 93octane tune perfect. E85 is much harder to tune on the street as it doesnt knock like 93 does, some knock sensors wont even detect the knock when it does happen. E85 should be tuned on a dyno, with very small changes being done between each pull. when the gains stop going up as much as they did initially you stop, and back off a touch to be safe.

All my tuning is done through NPG Over email . It is just a pain in the but to do. He is good at what he does but it takes time. The local tuner in Denver wants $700 plus to tune my car. He said he has to purchase some rights from sct. NPG. Does mot need those I guess. But for now, how do I pass emissions? I was told that the magnaflow hi performance cat I bought this year is 100% useless for emissions . The co2 and nox readings arr just a tad too high. Also does anyone know if they make a seal kit for the garett duel ball baring turbo.

have you fixed all the mechanical problems yet? you can get a tune from NPG that will pass OBDII emissions testing, I have one.

Yes, there is a kit for that turbo.

Can you post some pictures of you intake setup? Specifically the PCV lines and the valve cover lines? The kit you have was mine a couple years ago and I didn't have oil in the intake issues.

I did have oil in the intake on my boosted 2.5L. It was due to a PCV valve that didn't seal. I had to go thru 5-6 valves to find one that actually sealed. Brand new ones were junk more than 70% of the time. It's for that reason many on here have switched to PCV valves designed for turbo cars.

Also, if you stop burning oil, your emissions readings my get in line. I passed IL smog testing with that kit, no EGR, no DPFE, no cat.

Ok, first...I did get all mechanical issues fixed finally. All vacuum lines are sealed very well. Second,...I had to put back on the egr pulling the exhaust from the down pipe . I can not for the life of me post pics on this site. Can you pm me with am alternate email? The tune joey sent me was for emissions and its very close I think I ruined the cat though cause I ran way too much fuel for this whole year. I talked with him today and he sugested getting a functional cat and not the high flows. My turbo seals were bad from the day I got it. It also spins a lil out of the housing. The guy before me had to of known that! Also many have told me it should have had an oil pressure reducer fitted to it. But too late now.

Open a free account on image shack, upload your photos. Then you can copy paste links from there into the text boxes on here. If the oil is coming in thru the turbo, then a rebuild is your only option. I'm hoping it has more to do with PCV or vent line routing. That's why a few pics would be helpful.

The line I had supplying the turbo was proper sized for the bearings. I never had seal issue. The next guy, he only had the kit on the car for a few months....not sure what happened during that time, but the supply line was appropriate. Sucks its leaking now.

There are two SCT authorized dealers that do tuning in the Denver area. FastFord is right, stop wasting your time with the mailorder tune. Not to knock Joey's abilties but it's very difficult to properly tune a car with generic data, not to mention the fact that he is used to tuning for sea level, your altitude just throws another variable into the mix. Below are the sites for SCT tuners near you.

Just curious, as I am in Denver frequently, where are you located?
http://www.carzperformance.com/
http://www.stangautotech.com/

OK, SHOgo... I did not get ANY lines from this guy! I even asked him what the big fittings were on the turbo and he said he had no clue! only an oil line was hooked up but he said he could not find it. It ends up to be cooling lines!. That guy just sucked!. I am using an air/oil filter on the PVC end and the crank vent as well. On a cold day I blow a sh#& load of smoke out the back untill the oil pressure drops to temp. Thats why I think its the seals.
FastFord... I have invested my monies in NPG's tunes so I need to give him my buisness. Right?
tsSVT...I am in the Aurora/Parker area. I know of MAC Performance but they do not have the proper approval to tune they said. Extra $700 on top of my SCT Tuner.
I am going to change my plugs, oil and clean all sensors this weekend and try again. I just think I need a temp turbo while I rebuild this one cause my SVT is my daily driver.
Anyone have a cheap temp turbo?

Thank-you for the links. Carz ...does not tune with sct anymore and stangauto... wants $400-800 to tune it. Got to stay with joey. I might have stangauto datalog it for me cause I just have issues doing it on the freeway. What else does this thing need to run a bit smoother?

Ya.... But NPG has been very good and patient with me. Stangauto will do a half day data log with key sudgestions and their special Wide band sensor for $260. Then I will send that info to Joey and hopfully it will be better than me just running down the hwy at WOT. How do I add this so called Meth injection? And Is it really worth it?

pretty sure you have to tune for meth injection. need to confirm that the vacuum lines are correct, identify where the oil is coming from and fix that before you worry about further tuning or modifications.

how is the PCV system setup (make a drawing if it will be easier instead of writing it out)? what PCV valve are you using? where in the intake tract is the oil (before or after the turbo or both)?

I just bought a heavily modded car that would hardly idle with an NPG tune. After the tuning process Joey told the previous owner that he was dropping spark due to a ground or something not related with the tune, previous owner went through hell and tons of money trying to troubleshoot it with no success and ended up selling the car to me because he was so tired of it. Well not to surprise I figured out that its the tune at fault.

As others have said, you need to make sure all your vac lines etc are run correctly before doing anything else, get the oil issue fixed and then take it to a dyno shop. Its going to cost money, thats part of modifying a car to this extent.

I double checked the lines and the look good. I will open a photobucket account and post pics soon. I am going to change plugs and oil this week and try the emissions test again. Also with a tune, is the svt safe for e85 fuel ?

I double checked the lines and the look good. I will open a photobucket account and post pics soon. I am going to change plugs and oil this week and try the emissions test again. Also with a tune, is the svt safe for e85 fuel ?

You shouldnt have any problems as far as fuel lines etc. Your issue is trying to get enough fuel pump and injectors to meet the demand, that and as far as I know nobody has tuned for E85 on these cars, yet...

Well that sucks about the tuners, SCT shows both as being licensed. The data log may be able to help Joey on the tune, but it still seems like a local tune would be the way to go.

Hopefully, with pictures, someone can tell if the vacuum routing is part of the problem. From previous threads, that has caused several similar issues with other cars.

That would pretty much suck if your turbo seals are bad. Wouldn't rebuilding your turbo be more cost effective than replacement? I'm sure you could find a reasonable priced rebuild kit online.

Meth injection is a super affordable way to get more power, especially out of a non-intercooled turbo setup. It would require tuning though. http://www.snowperformance.net/ I've heard good things about these guys. AEM and Holley also make kits if you're interested.

LOL, small world, my brother lives near Iliff and 25. I was just up there visiting a week ago.

That's not far from me! I am more south.
I do think my turbo seals are bad. It has been spinning oil ever since I got it. It's just worse now. A lot of smoke out the back until the oil pressure drops down. I am pulling oil from a plate at the filter. Figured it would be guaranteed oil feed and easy to do . Also this turbo is a duel ball bearing garret. So I was told no such rebuild kit exists.
How much would dirty plugs effect an emissions test? Would it cause it to barely fail?

Back