• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bent rim... where to fix?

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
So as the title reads I found out that I've got a mildly bent rim. Most likely it's due to a pot hole. The wheel balanced alright, but when I had him check it again it showed it was off by 0.25. At point he said he could chase that .25 around all day and that it wasn't going to get any better. When we spun it on the balancer you could see just a little jump where the lip of the rim was bent a little. The tire still holds air and everything and with it being on the rear I probably won't notice much difference, but it still bugs me.

I'm really curious to know whether someone else has had the same issue or a really bad bent rim and what they did to get it fixed.

I've sent wheels to Wheels America but you may have a more local place you can dropoff or that has a pickup route where you can meet them.

i've banged out flat spots before on my rims. The first time i did it, it was with a badly kerb rashed rim...... so it didn't matter what happened. It turned out OK. I used a rubber mallet and made sure the rim was warm. Done it several times and the guy at the tire shop was gobsmacked, especially when he put the rim back on the balancing machine and 95% of the dip had gone. So, if you have an old rim to practice on...try it..... it's not rocket science. Bang out a little....put the rim back on the jacked up car.....spin it....see how much is left....take it off....bang it some more...put it back on the car..etc etc... by the way, these have only been on the inside edges....G.

I've done it twice now. The first time was probably 5 years ago and the cost was under $100 but they already had the exact same rim repaired and sealed so they just swapped me on the spot. The second time I dropped one off at a pickup point and a week later got it back all refinished for like $115.

I had tires put on yesterday.

2 of my rims have bends, when they previously did not. Both on the OUTSIDE. :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing sucks..

Back