• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moving on from the Contour

Guitarman19853

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, I think it's time... Next Wed I'm going to go test drive the Contour's potential replacement. It's definitely sad but when I think about all the work it's going to take to restore it, I just can't justify it.

I am going to hold on to it for a little while and fix it up while I can have it off the road (paint, small repairs) and then try to sell it. I'll probably take some stuff off that I can make more on sold separately like the OZ wheels.

I'm excited about the new car but keep having these feelings like nothing I can buy today could equal the handling of the contour (at least in 4-5 door sedan/hatchbacks around $25k).

You only looking to buy new??? For 25k you could get a used evo or sti that would make you forget all about that svtc. Now if your only looking at new cars im still sure with a $25k price you could find something with more features and other goodies that will make you forget about the contour.

What are you looking at or what did you buy Ryan?
I'm ready to move on also. I'm not in a hurry to replace the SVT once I list and sell it, I do have a two vehicles in mind and am leaning more toward one than the other at this point.

I'm about ready to move on from the contour as a daily driver.

The current one has rocker panels that are rusting out. On the last oil change I only drained ~ 3 qts of oil, I had put in 6 qts 4k miles before. Also had the brake light start flashing, found the fluid was low, again I had it at the max line. I know there is oil all over the bottom of the engine, and I smell it burning often now .....

Anyway I have my eye on a black, possible an EAP 4dr SVT Focus, which is at a dealer in NJ. Miles and price are right, just waiting to see photos before I head down to check it out.

And the SeVT and SVT are tucked away and safe for the winter. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

All you old fogies keep leaving..... Chris, I can't see you unloading your SVT after keeping it so nice for so long. That would be like what was on the Mythbusters episode with the Corvette they bought to stick dead pigs into. That vette owner nearly cried after finding out what they were going to do to his car after they paid him :cry:.

Joe: I did have thoughts that it would become a DD or eventually owned by some lead-footed youngster but there isn't much I can do once it's sold.
Really, everything I've wanted to do to it has been done and it doesn't get driven all that much. To me, it's a shame to see it sit in the garage on the maintainer and only come out when it's nice. I think it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

You know you don't really want to sell the SVT , Christine . You'll be walking around lost without it , and ya know it :( .

I'm not so sure about that. At least that's what I say now. :D

Brian: Where in NJ? Maybe one of us can go take a look at it in person for you.

Brian: Where in NJ? Maybe one of us can go take a look at it in person for you.

I was just about to post and ask about that. Its at Open Road Acura of East Brunswick. Sounds like a EAP by the discription. I already requested photos, didn't have any yet because it was in for reconditioning. Thinking about driving down Saturday to take a look. Hope to have photos or someone take a look before then to see if its worth my time.

That's a bit far for me but I'm sure we've got someone in that area that may have time to take a look-see for ya.

i have been begging Christine not to get rid of her car! we met up a few weeks ago and that car is soo beautiful! honestly its the nicest one i have ever seen in person! don't do it Chris!! :drool:

Better to drive her to the ground yours than watch someone else take it away from you. The one thing I learned from the departure of a beloved car is to never get that attached to one again. Life is too short to miss a car, just love everything about it while you have it. Mortality shapes your life more than it measures it imo.

Glad CEG is back :D,
but this thread makes me sad :(
The thought of giving up on CSVTs is not an easy one. To this day I still regret selling my '96 SE back when I was struggling to keep both 'tours :blackeye:.

I had mine for sale last summer... Got a ton of low ball offers. I think i will just keep it for the long haul. Bare min insurance and its emissions exempt. Hell it would still be exempt if you added the last 3 years mileages together.

Do any of you have any of the old calendars that my car was in? Looking to find old copies...

this saturday will bring an end to an era .... I will no longer have a Contour as a daily driver ..... I have been driving a contour/mystique daily since may 2000 .... 12 yrs ..... been driving a contour since I started driving in 98!

bittersweet experience ....

Wow CEG has been down a long time. I remember wanting to check replies and finding that the forum was down shortly after I made this.

I am getting a new car. I placed an order on Jan 2nd. But I'll leave it at that until it comes in and I can show pics. I originally thought I'd keep the Contour and fix it up. I do plan on fixing some things to make it sellable (paint). But I think ultimately I need to get rid of it. It's hard but it's not good as a DD anymore and as a sporty car, I could pick up a pure sports car cheap. Not to mention my new DD won't be bad either.

I do like the people on this forum better than others that's for sure.

I will say that my dad (some of you met him at Carlisle) bought a new 2012 GTI a week before I ordered my new hot hatchback. It is very nice and I almost decided to get one of those. Between my brother's 03 WRX, my dad's GTI and my new car, we'll have a family of hot hatchbacks :)

:) I can't wait for pictures!!
Unfortunately, I think you are making the right choice with the SVT. Sometimes it's best to put your money elsewhere.

:) I can't wait for pictures!!
Unfortunately, I think you are making the right choice with the SVT. Sometimes it's best to put your money elsewhere.

I lost all interest in the SVT for a while tracking down issues after my 3L install. It ended up being a failed egr vacuum solenoid that was allowing the EGR to open when it shouldn't but I was about ready to throw in the towel and part it out. It's now running but it has almost 150k and is starting to show that it was a rust belt car in spots.

Wow CEG has been down a long time. I remember wanting to check replies and finding that the forum was down shortly after I made this.

I am getting a new car. I placed an order on Jan 2nd. But I'll leave it at that until it comes in and I can show pics. I originally thought I'd keep the Contour and fix it up. I do plan on fixing some things to make it sellable (paint). But I think ultimately I need to get rid of it. It's hard but it's not good as a DD anymore and as a sporty car, I could pick up a pure sports car cheap. Not to mention my new DD won't be bad either.

I do like the people on this forum better than others that's for sure.

I will say that my dad (some of you met him at Carlisle) bought a new 2012 GTI a week before I ordered my new hot hatchback. It is very nice and I almost decided to get one of those. Between my brother's 03 WRX, my dad's GTI and my new car, we'll have a family of hot hatchbacks :)

Congrats on the new car! It'll be nice to have something that's new, reliable and under warranty. I've toyed with it but am saving for a house now as I need some space for my cars and my rapidly growing jet ski collection. I'm sure you'll like the new whip and I'm very curious as to what it is.

BTW, If you're going to be selling them, I'm interested in picking up those OZ wheels you have depending on condition, price, etc. I'm looking for a nice set of wheels for my new toy. ;)

this saturday will bring an end to an era .... I will no longer have a Contour as a daily driver ..... I have been driving a contour/mystique daily since may 2000 .... 12 yrs ..... been driving a contour since I started driving in 98!

bittersweet experience ....

It'll be a sad day but at some point we all have to move on to bigger and better things. I too have owned my fair share of Contours/Mystiques/Cougars and eventually moved on to a Focus as my DD. So far it's been good to me and with how much I drive, the gas mileage has been a bank account saver. That car now has a little over 100k on it (keep in mind that it's an '07) and runs great.

On a different note while I initially wanted to keep my SVT for a few more years and using it both on the track and as a DD off and on during the summer, plans have now changed. I picked up a 2002 Cougar Sport v6/mtx with a Vortech Supercharger and am planning on building that up as my new toy. It'll keep me content for at least a few more years I hope and I won't have any car payments which is nice. :)

It'll be a sad day but at some point we all have to move on to bigger and better things. I too have owned my fair share of Contours/Mystiques/Cougars and eventually moved on to a Focus as my DD. So far it's been good to me and with how much I drive, the gas mileage has been a bank account saver. That car now has a little over 100k on it (keep in mind that it's an '07) and runs great.

On a different note while I initially wanted to keep my SVT for a few more years and using it both on the track and as a DD off and on during the summer, plans have now changed. I picked up a 2002 Cougar Sport v6/mtx with a Vortech Supercharger and am planning on building that up as my new toy. It'll keep me content for at least a few more years I hope and I won't have any car payments which is nice. :)

I completely agree. Just hard to believe after 14 years of driving a contique that I will not be any more. But it was time to move on. At least keeping the current Contour this long has allowed us to avoid car payments by saving up. Although we will have a payment for a few months as we took advantage of the rebate for financing the car, so we did the minimum amount to get the rebate.

Saturday seems like a long time off, hopefully it gets here quick enough.

Back