• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Modding

ok guys I am sick of this. if you have nothing nice to say about zetec equipped contique stay out of the zetec forums. Its pretty simple. The trash talking is done with.

Everyone starts somewhere with building a car and going to the track. It just happens some of us don't have the chance to start with something that is more common and we make the best of what we have. This is still alot better then driving a riced out civic street racing ever chance one has.

TX00SVT
tredsvt98
biminiLX

you have been warned. keep this up and you will receive infractions.

Well, now that the thread has gone to hell and back, thanks for whipping it into shape, Brapple:cool:

I'm still trying to get this car planned out, so I'd like to keep the thread open.

And yes, once CT Dragway is open again, I will be running it. No to impress anyone. Just to have some fun and go slow:cool:

were those the only mods, udp, intake and exhaust?

i have the intake, exhaust, gapped plugs, wires, coil. i dont think i'm too far off of was striker was. also, those times that i ran were with just the intake and exahust. so throw in the gapped plugs, wires, coil and resetting the computer and i think i'm a little lower than a 17.3. i dont see whats so funny about my post.

plugs, wires and coil are not going to make a difference unless there was a problem with them before.

decently quick. for a 3125lbs car to do a high 16, i dont think thats bad. my buddy has a Saturn that weighs somewhere around 2500 lbs and its running mid 16's with intake, exhaust and auto.

i'm not saying its fast, but it beats some of the newer cars and i can keep up with a 325I auto 2.5 I6. so i'm proud of it.
Your car doesn't weigh 3125 lbs, I hate to break it to you. And while your car may seem "decently quick," it is really as slow as balls, as evidenced by an 18 second 1/4 mile...

I Googled the 2.0L Ford Contour, and am consistently coming up with a curb weight of 2770 lbs. If you're lucky, I'll give you 2900 lbs for your car.

I won't deny that your car isn't "fun." I think my car is fun, and it is even slower than yours I bet. I have a slushbox. However, if you're going to say that your car is "decently quick" when it could most likely get taken out by a stick Geo Metro, you're going to get bashed as you did in this thread.

That being said, I don't see much wrong with modding to make the car a bit more fun. However, neither plugs + wires nor coil count as "mods."

HECTOR AND DAN DID IT.

where_are_they_now.jpg

Last edited:
My tour is a 4cyl ATX......its the slowest of the slow. I just bought an ebay intake, and I'm gonna work with that and a K&N filter. Then I plan on getting some slight exhaust work. These are both to improve sound more than power, I like the zetec's purr. Next I plan on getting tint, power antenna, de-badging my car, and hopefully some SVT rims, these are all subtle changes that should make it look a lot better without looking riced out. Then once I'm making a lot of money, I'm going o sell the zetec and buy a real car. I don't plan on investing more money on parts then I do on maintenance for a 4cyl, that's just a bad idea.

The Zetec even with the ATX can be made into a reliable, somewhat quick car. Adding the right parts, tune, etc can make for a potent DD street car. I know, I did it. Wasn't the fastest thing on the street/track but it was fun running it period! With some more tweaking, my car the way it sat could have ran a lot faster. But it was sold before I could run it again.:shrug:

As for all the Zetec hating, the people involved have been warned. Anything else, will end with an infraction. Starting flame fests are not tolerated.

plugs, wires and coil are not going to make a difference unless there was a problem with them before.

it was proven in a pervious thread to add 3 or so hp to a 2.5 or 3.0 i forget which, and i did notices a difference when i did it although it was very very slight.

Your car doesn't weigh 3125 lbs, I hate to break it to you. And while your car may seem "decently quick," it is really as slow as balls, as evidenced by an 18 second 1/4 mile...

I Googled the 2.0L Ford Contour, and am consistently coming up with a curb weight of 2770 lbs. If you're lucky, I'll give you 2900 lbs for your car.

I won't deny that your car isn't "fun." I think my car is fun, and it is even slower than yours I bet. I have a slushbox. However, if you're going to say that your car is "decently quick" when it could most likely get taken out by a stick Geo Metro, you're going to get bashed as you did in this thread.

That being said, I don't see much wrong with modding to make the car a bit more fun. However, neither plugs + wires nor coil count as "mods."
who ran a 18 second 1/4 mile? and a Metro beating any Zetec powered contique is out of the question lol. i had the car weighed at inspection and the mechanic said it weighed 3125. i did have some crap and tools in the trunk though, which were all left in there when i was at the track.

it was proven in a pervious thread to add 3 or so hp to a 2.5 or 3.0 i forget which, and i did notices a difference when i did it although it was very very slight.

who ran a 18 second 1/4 mile? and a Metro beating any Zetec powered contique is out of the question lol. i had the car weighed at inspection and the mechanic said it weighed 3125. i did have some crap and tools in the trunk though, which were all left in there when i was at the track.

You don't really need to argue back with them.

I noticed a huge decrease in throttle response, but alot more high end when you can really hear the intake.

I put the "big black THING" back on for winter but kept the K&N and the throttle response is a lot better. I lost some of that high end, but that's alright, I would rather have the throttle response in the winter.

ok guys I am sick of this. if you have nothing nice to say about zetec equipped contique stay out of the zetec forums. Its pretty simple. The trash talking is done with.

Everyone starts somewhere with building a car and going to the track. It just happens some of us don't have the chance to start with something that is more common and we make the best of what we have. This is still alot better then driving a riced out civic street racing ever chance one has.

TX00SVT
tredsvt98
biminiLX

you have been warned. keep this up and you will receive infractions.
Fair enough. I only jumped in on this to give wannabe my advice, which you echoed well Brian. Makes me think of that saying "you can lead a horse to water...." :)
As for putting down the Zetec, you're right and I apologize. In the end its all about enjoying your car and making it better in your own eyes.
I do stick by my advice from the begining of the thread. :cool:
I was going to be done with the thread after my last post but I thought this was needed.
-J

thank you.

I know there has been this zetec/duratec thing here at times. I have the advantage that I own and drive a stock zetec, a SVT and now a turbo 3L. so I have a good view from all angles. and sometime I enjoy driving the zetec the most.

so as I said before if someone wants to build up a zetec to be different have at it. but in Matts case I would wait until after your done with school and have a good job so that you can afford this obsession. I will work out better in the long run. I'm glad I did.

thank you.

I know there has been this zetec/duratec thing here at times. I have the advantage that I own and drive a stock zetec, a SVT and now a turbo 3L. so I have a good view from all angles. and sometime I enjoy driving the zetec the most.
I think you and i are probably some of the few that have had and driven both the Zetec and Duratec Contours at the same time. I honestly liked my Zetec more (even before the turbo) than my SVT, i just wish it looked as good in stock trim.

so as I said before if someone wants to build up a zetec to be different have at it. but in Matts case I would wait until after your done with school and have a good job so that you can afford this obsession. I will work out better in the long run. I'm glad I did.

exactly, i built my Zetec after i graduated from school. since being layed off almost 2 months ago, i have decided to go back to school. as much as i want to build my project that i have been planning, i know it will be better off waiting till after i graduate, again. :crazy::laugh:

Fair enough. I only jumped in on this to give wannabe my advice, which you echoed well Brian. Makes me think of that saying "you can lead a horse to water...." :)
As for putting down the Zetec, you're right and I apologize. In the end its all about enjoying your car and making it better in your own eyes.
I do stick by my advice from the begining of the thread. :cool:
I was going to be done with the thread after my last post but I thought this was needed.
-J
Makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the advice.
Do I have to thank you again? I think you got the hint. Brian, you've been great the whole time I've been on CEG:cool:
I think you and i are probably some of the few that have had and driven both the Zetec and Duratec Contours at the same time. I honestly liked my Zetec more (even before the turbo) than my SVT, i just wish it looked as good in stock trim.

exactly, i built my Zetec after i graduated from school. since being layed off almost 2 months ago, i have decided to go back to school. as much as i want to build my project that i have been planning, i know it will be better off waiting till after i graduate, again. :crazy::laugh:

Absolutely.

The little things I have planned are on a TINY budget for what they are. For example, my Konis and B+Gs will be paid for with less than one paycheck. I'll have them both for $150. The badges will be $25. I'm not putting anything on this car withut getting a great deal on it for a while. My exhaust will only cost me $50 also. So intake, exhaust, and 2" drop with struts and springs (done right) will be less than $250. Not bad, eh?

Oh, and SE skrts for $25. I'm a man of greater wisdom than some may realize (I get worked up alot though:laugh:), so I take all of your great advice seriously. Don't think it's falling on deaf ears:cool:

How do you drive two cars at one time??? :shrug:

I've had a Zetec ATX, then a Duratec 5-speed which turned into a 3L SE.....
Ask me which one I miss the most......

If you love it...Mod the piss out of it til you think she can't take anymore.

Last edited:
Back