• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual transmission slipping? CSVT

Max Power18

New CEG'er
Hello all.

I have a 98 CSVT. Recently I have been getting some slipping in 3rd thru 5th gear. At first I thought it was the clutch, but 1st and 2nd hold pretty good when I floor it. Usually what happens is that when I am cruising , I put the accelerator down, the rpms jump up then slowly come back down as the car begins to accelerate. I have read thru the site here and could not find anything similar. Could it just be low fluid, or am I looking at having to rebuild the transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The transmission cannot "slip"; it's interlocking gears. If those are slipping, you've got serious problems, and your car would be immobile. In all gears.

The fluid has nothing to do with it. That only applies to shifting an automatic transaxle. The fluid in the manual only keeps the gears cool and lubricated.

Definitely the clutch. If you avoid slipping the clutch as much as possible, you can probably ride it out for a decent number of miles before it gives out entirely.

I've been driving my BMW with a slipping clutch for over a year now, and over 20k miles. :crazy: I'll be replacing it soon though because it's boring driving the car. :laugh:

Definitely the clutch. If you avoid slipping the clutch as much as possible, you can probably ride it out for a decent number of miles before it gives out entirely.

I've been driving my BMW with a slipping clutch for over a year now, and over 20k miles. :crazy: I'll be replacing it soon though because it's boring driving the car. :laugh:

Yea, I know what you mean. The car is alot less fun with the slippage. Although 1st and 2nd are still grabbing well, which is why I thought it wasn't the clutch.

How hard of a job is it to do yourself? I will also check to see if there is a "how to".

Back