• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual boost controller

Striker, I'm not sure if you are familiar with my brand. On the one side it has a metal ring in it. This ring makes the mating surface smaller. When we installed the kit I had to cut out gasket material to allow for this ring. I'll talk to Joey,to see if it can come out. If it can't the inside diameter would be different for one. I did look at that site after I posted. Thanks for the link, hopefully it will work.

Rod

i had the tial wastegate as well. the side with the valve has a metal ring that is the valve seat. is that what your talking about? if so then the metal gaskets will work as i used them on mine without issues.

Yeah is has a metal ring in it on the one side. I think mine is a Samco not a Tial. It is a 38mm though. Do you think those will work for mine? Did you use the metal gaskets on both sides, or just the side with the valve? That is if you had a recirculating wastegate. Thanks for the help.

Rod

mine was recirculating. on the tial, both sides are the same diameter when the valve seat is installed which so i was able to use those gaskets on both sides.

Thanks for the link Striker. I just ordered 2 of the metal gaskets. I spoke to some guys at Forced Fab here in Dayton, and I may have been the cause of the failure. The one side of my WG has a thick metal ring. I trimmed the original gasket to allow this ring to sit inside the gasket. According to them, it needs to sit on top of the gasket. After trimming it, I had very little gasket/mating surface around this ring. When I get the new metal ones, I'll just install it on top. Hopefully this is the last time, it is a PITA to get this thing in/out.

Rod

Yeah I ordered them from ATP. They were $6.50 each. I want this to be the last time I mess with the wastegate..boy is it a pain to take out. Did you understand what I was saying about the metal ring? I think Striker called it a valve seat(??) Did your's have this inside the top side flange?? Did you put it on top of the gasket. I can't get ahold of Joey to pick his brain about it. When we put it together, it was new to everyone, as Rawburt's did not recirculate. His wastegate was different all together, and did not have the flange with the ring.

Rod

Yeah I ordered them from ATP. They were $6.50 each. I want this to be the last time I mess with the wastegate..boy is it a pain to take out. Did you understand what I was saying about the metal ring? I think Striker called it a valve seat(??) Did your's have this inside the top side flange?? Did you put it on top of the gasket. I can't get ahold of Joey to pick his brain about it. When we put it together, it was new to everyone, as Rawburt's did not recirculate. His wastegate was different all together, and did not have the flange with the ring.

Rod
yeah, it was on the gasket itself. i dont remember how i figured out which side it went on. i just played around with it and it worked fine. the surface layout of both surfaces should clue u in.

mine had one too, it should be obvious how it fits based upon its shape...I believe it's something like a compression washer for the valve...

I replaced the WG gaskets today with the metal ones from ATP turbo. There is still a little air coming from the piston side gasket. You can see a tiny bit of condensation escape the gasketed flanges. Unfortunately, this did not fix my exhaust leak. It still is leaking from the front headers. It sounds like a kid making a motor boat noise! I'm going to order new MSDS gaskets and replace the front one first and see if it fixes the leak. I'm going to try not to drive the car, as it is popping and backfiring after you let off the gas. All the nuts are tight, so I'm gueesing the problem is the headers gasket.

Rod

msds used a ford header gasket. try the felpro. my front header lossened up some after install with a ford one but didn't with the felpro. should be cheaper also.

Brapple, I got my headers from Joey. I spoke to him this morning and he suggested the Ford one. I got the cardboard like ones from MSDS with the headers. I think the FORD ones are metal..are the Felpro metal or cardboard? The sound is coming from the front tube nearest the passenger side. Everything is tight, so I think I have a gap in the gasket. The metal WG gasket still lets a tiny bit of air out, but I'm gonna run it a bit and then re-tighten everything.

Thanks for the help

Rod

yes the ford ones are metal and are not used under alot of torque as i recall. the felpro ones are a more typical exhaust gasket so you can really torque the headers down if needed and not have to worry about crushing it to much like the factory ones.

so msds doesn't come with oem type gaskets? i thought that they did.

The ones I got with the headers were the cardboard/paper type. These are the ones that are leaking. Wuldn't going to metal ones like the stock ones help stop the leak?? The WG was leaking, and the metal gasket helped to remedy the leak there. I'm going to get some today to fix it, any suggestions. Joey, said the metal ones would do better for my application. Any special tightening instructions??

Rod

Torque them in the sequence specified in the Haynes/Ford manual. I believe it is only 16 ft/lbs IIRC.

I like to use Remflex (remflex.com) gaskets when doing headers with the motor still in the car. They are much more 'forgiving'. I had them make me a set for the duratec and they have since added them to their catalog. Kinda pricey but worth it in my opinion if you have to get in there that deep.

http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/rf3030.htm

I also prefer to use allen bolts with lock-washers instead of the stud/nut combo. I feel I can get allen sockets and allen wrenches in that tight space much better than box-end wrenches.

I used remflex on a previous header install with much success and currently use their turbo-to-downpipe gasket. So far holding up much better than the metal gasket dressed in that copper RTV.

Well I went and bought a set of Fel-pro gaskets today. I took the front one off. Boy was this a real PITA but that is another story. After much frustration I see this..
DSCF0985-2.jpg

And this is the edge nearest the passenger side fender..
DSCF0986.jpg

I'm thinking great I got it.

Well fast forward 3 hours and it is still leaking. I ran it and re-checked/re-tightened while it was in the air. I put it down and drove it around the neighborhood, and it is as bad as it was before I replaced the gasket. I also hear periodic noise, like something bouncing around inside. I thought it was like a bearing sound. It sounds like might be coming from the water pump..but you can also hear it from the front header side where the leak was. I put new plugs in it today also after all my tuning issues.

I'm sick to my stomach thinking something in the motor is broken. It seems to have power, just bbbzzzzttt noise under acceleration. Help!

Rod

Is it at all like a ticking/tapping sound? Does it increase incrementally with RPM?

When you said periodic does that mean it is not always their under acceleration or, is it not their at like idle but always under accel?

The exhaust leak noise is present at idle, but gets louder faster under acceleration. I compare it to making a motorboat sound between your lips. If you rev it up it pops and cracks as the revs come down, and it sounds pretty violent. My neighbor thinks it's just the exhaust gas.

The other noise, like something bouncing around just started happening after I changed the gasket.
The turbo kit/headers have about 600 or so miles on them. I first heard this "exhaust leak" sound after trying to dial in the boost controller. It spiked to 15# during a 3rd gear pull. I parked it at the parts store and heard it under light acceleration after we left the store.

By the looks of the gasket I was hoping that was the issue, but I fear it is something on the upper end of the motor. I really don't have a new motor in the budget,especially after putting about 3500 to 4k in the turbo setup.

Rod

Back