• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual boost controller

what gaskets are you guys using? like SHOgoFast, i never had a problem with blowing out the gaskets at both 10 and 13PSI. i was using the metal gaskets for both sides of my tial 35/38mm

first set was what ever came with the wastegate I got from NPG. Like I said I didn't tighten it down so thats one on me. Next I got a sheet in intake/exhaust gasket material from Napa. It is metal core with paper outside. I assembled it with red silicon sealer. the paper gave out and it started leaking. last time I did the same thing, cut the material larger then the flange and assembled dry with red loc-tite on the bolts. been good ever since.

I have a Samco 38mm wastegate. I installed the stock ones from NPG. I have the recirculated one, so it has two flanges almost back to back. I replaced the gaskets with the pipes in the car. I took the wastegate out, but the reinstall is a circus act. The stock ones got brittle and fell out in a few pieces. I bought a roll of thick paper like gasket material. I also cut them bigger so they stick out on the sides. I also put some hi temp gasket maker on them. This helped hold the gasket in place while I tried to line up both flanges and get the bolts started. Anyone with this system can relate. This is like changing a Contour alternator with just a pipe wrench! I buttoned it all back up and re-aligned some of my hot pipes that I thought may be causing the leak. I start it back up and go for a ride.

I have a leak that sounds like a 3 year old motor boating in the bathtub. It's coming from the rear freakin header. So, my next project is to put it in the air and check/tighten/replace some headers nuts! Anyone know off hand what size the nuts are. It is bad, it sounds like and old demo derby car :/ I took the boost controller completely out of the car. It really freaked me out. It hit 15 and I heard the exhaust leak..I really thought I broke something. I will get a softer spring for the BC and try in the spring. Heck 8psi is plenty for winter!

Rod

Header bolts are 13's

You're making me feel not so bad about never installing it. I hope you can get it all sorted out.

first set was what ever came with the wastegate I got from NPG. Like I said I didn't tighten it down so thats one on me. Next I got a sheet in intake/exhaust gasket material from Napa. It is metal core with paper outside. I assembled it with red silicon sealer. the paper gave out and it started leaking. last time I did the same thing, cut the material larger then the flange and assembled dry with red loc-tite on the bolts. been good ever since.
Tial did away with the squishy metal gaskets, because everyone was blowing them. Their new ones look like our header gaskets -- sheet metal. It's not possible to blow half of those out.

I don't understand the wg gasket problems either. Never once did I have an issue on my car, and I ran 11 to 12 psi daily, also spiked 15+ psi when dialing in the mbc. sounds like you are having nothing but problems with the kit. I cant imagine the hell you are going through with R&R with that wg :help:

Yeah, As you know this thing is a mutha to get back in! The headers coming loose might have been due to boosting higher, or just maybe it worked loose. I think there was one stud that did not have a nut on it. If I'm right it was lost during the install. What could it hurt?? I guess it does need all 6. The car is running fine now. The main issue was that stupid recirc. hose. Once that was on it purrs. The wategate gasket just dried out and broke apart. After the spike, I heard the leak. I could see the air blowing right out the side of it. I'm just afraid of breaking something now, so I'll do the MBC controller come spring.

rod

I don't understand the wg gasket problems either. Never once did I have an issue on my car, and I ran 11 to 12 psi daily, also spiked 15+ psi when dialing in the mbc. sounds like you are having nothing but problems with the kit. I cant imagine the hell you are going through with R&R with that wg :help:

and you had an open dump right? we are running recirculated. So best guess would be if the flanges are not alligned just right its going to cause gasket problems.

like I said the first few times I tightened everything in order from the headers out. so the wastegate was tightened after the turbo. well the last time since I installed the up and down pipe together I tightened the wastegate before installing it into the car. made the turbo alittle hard to bolt in but the wastegate hasn't been an issue.

Brapple is right the recirculating is an alignment PITA. Rawburt knows this first hand, he installed mine for the first time. This is when it was all new. After, I retighten the header nuts, I hope it will be ok. I will reinstall the boost controller, and run 10 psi. I just don't want to have to do a 3L right now. Reebs be on standby when I do!

Rod

Brapple is right the recirculating is an alignment PITA. Rawburt knows this first hand, he installed mine for the first time. This is when it was all new. After, I retighten the header nuts, I hope it will be ok. I will reinstall the boost controller, and run 10 psi. I just don't want to have to do a 3L right now. Reebs be on standby when I do!

Rod

Don't forget Reebs aint the only one doing swaps, he just seems to buy and sell a lot of them.

Maybe it only blows out with high levels of boost. :shrug:

If that were the case, mine should have blown out when I spiked 15+

no it wouldn't have. yours was dumped to atmoshpere right? so you didn't have any alignment or bolt tightening issues that would lend itself to blowing the gasket out ....

mine was recirculated and i was running 13PSI without blowing out the gaskets. but i was using the steel plate gaskets.

mine was recirculated and i was running 13PSI without blowing out the gaskets. but i was using the steel plate gaskets.

speaking of heavy cuty gaskets where is a good place to get some? would they be of any benifit at the turbo either?

If that were the case, mine should have blown out when I spiked 15+
I was referring to people that consistently run 15+ on it, and have it recirculated. All I'm saying is that Tial acknowledged that blowing gaskets on their 35/38mm wastegate was a common issue, and they redesigned the gaskets to fix that problem.

The used setup I got had a blown gasket already, and I know 10-15psi was common on it. Though... the gasket might have blown (and wasn't replaced) after it spiked to 23+.. which blew the motor.

Well today I put the car in the air and checked for the leak. I found small hose off of the copper tube that screws into the rear header. I plugged it in and no more leak! This is after we re-did the gasket on the wastegate. I had not driven the car since we fixed the WG gasket. I checked all the header nuts and they seemed to be ok. I was missing one, so I replaced it with a new nut. it's getting cold here so I put the E1's back on the car. My neighbor comes over and we take it for a ride. I drive out of my neighborhood and let the car warm up just cruising around. After awhile, we think the problem is fixed..until I give her a shot of boost. The leak is back. I pull into Auto Zone to check the small hose..it is on. So after checking around the turbo, I find the top flange of the WG has no gasket sticking out of it anymore. The part that is left looks melted and about 1 1/2" of it is GONE! I need to find some metal gaskets for this beast. The one side of the WG has a metal washer type ring inside, which makes the edge very thin. I don't think there is enough material to hold the pressure. I think metal is the only cure. So I've gotta find some of these and tear the thing apart again. I love this car!

Rod

Back