• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I Need Advice...

I have another dilemma. The guy I am buying from said that the insurance company may qualify it as a sports car. Has this been done to anyone? I mean, it's still a Contour, right? Or do the insurance agents look that far into it?

It is not a sports car according to my insurance. The price was only like $5 more a month than my old SE.

Thanks man. I need to get in touch with my insurance agent. I know insurance will still be EXTREMELY high though. Just as long as the ticket doesn't go through, I will be okay.

Yes, they probably will look at it as a sports car, it wont be the same as a standard contour.

It'll depend on the company and/or the area... they'll ask you for the VIN and it all comes down to whether they have the unique engine code flagged as "high-performance" or something like that.

I called my moms insurance agent and she said that it would be $322/month for full coverage. That is actually pretty good being that it would cost me around $250 for just liability. I am hoping that my mom will put me on her insurance so it would be cheaper? I mean, I worked out a payment plan with the guy and with insurance, this is going to break me. It's worth it :D

My SVT is $3 more a month than my '04 RX-8. It's only $25 less a month than our '06 Mustang GT. My agent told me it had to do with the average cost of replacement parts available.

my svt is considered a sports car in NY and a collector car in OH. with it being a sports car, i pay almost 25% more than a regular contour

I called my moms insurance agent and she said that it would be $322/month for full coverage. That is actually pretty good being that it would cost me around $250 for just liability. I am hoping that my mom will put me on her insurance so it would be cheaper? I mean, I worked out a payment plan with the guy and with insurance, this is going to break me. It's worth it :D

I hope its cheaper with your mom. Holy crap $322 a month? Mine is less than half of that for full coverage on the SE.

That has to be the most stupid post I have ever read on here. :help:

Well, yeah, it is sorta bass-ackward logic. I had a better point to make, but lost it midway through typing. For some reason I still hit submit reply >.>

In any case, gotta be known for something.

hah.. my svt now was the first car I had that was stick. I kinda learned on other cars but never had any offical time besides hey im going to try out ur car in the driveway or im going around the block. And let me tell u I :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed all their cars up heh. Well not :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up, but boy o boy did i stall out and grind some gears heh...

I drove 6hrs to MA to pick up my svt without offically saying I could drive a stick. When I picked her up I got in and said screw it, I have to drive it now. (I was the only one who came with me who knew anything about driving a stick heh) That is I think the best learning experience, when you have to do something. So anyway i drove 6hrs home in the pouring rain on some parts, in stop and go traffic for a couple miles, and on the open freeway.. I came back from that experience offically knowing how to drive a stick.

The best way to learn is when your by urself so you dont feel any pressure. if u screw up, who cares, u have no one to laugh at u or be like wtf are u doing?!?! I didnt mess up one time. except when I went to find reverse.. I didnt know u had to pull up on the shifter thing so i was sitting in the Mcdonalds parking lot for 10minutes trying to figure it out. Some how I managed to get it in reverse but didnt really know how to get in reverse until the next day.

the svt is easy to learn on.. if u really get stuck trying other ways people told ya, i just found it easier just by having one foot depressed on the clutch and just slowly lift ur foot and once the car starts rolling just ease on the gas and there ya go..

I pay $65 a month for full coverage. :laugh:

I learned how to drive a stick successfully in my first SVT.

I took my 16-year old baby sister out last week for a drive in a school parking lot in my current SVT. She has NEVER driven a car, just a 4-wheeler, and she got it going on the first try. Sure, it wasn't smooth, but she did great. (She's slightly behind in her development due to oxygen deprivation at birth, so she's really at about a 12-year old mental capacity.)

I don't think there's any "perfect" car to learn in. I did well in the SVT because the torque of the motor (compared to the other car I tried to learn on, my dad's '86 Tercel) and the stiffness of the clutch made it easy for me to be precise. Don't be afraid of it, that will just make it harder for you.
LOL wow everybody learned stick in a car,i think i'm the only one who learned in a mack ch470 18 speed lol

Back