• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HIDS w/stock wiring

blind829

CEG'er
Has anyone had any issues with the stock wiring or headlight switch not holding up to aftermarket HID kits at all. When I had them on my Dodge Ram they melted the switch inside the cab, but Dodge's are known for their electrical problems. I'm just curious if anyone has had any issues?

The word HID is thrown around way too much on the internet. Many people run around thinking they have HIDs because the eBay auction said so. :rolleyes:

Real HIDs if wired properly will actually draw less power from the stock wiring than a regular halogen bulb. For example, my HID harness draws its power for the ballast directly from the battery itself, and the factory harness is only used for it to get a signal to turn on or off.

If you are talking about a cheapo halogen bulb that says HIDs and just runs at a higher wattage, then yes, you will probably fry the harness.

Thanks for the replys. Yes, I'm talking a real kit, not just blue bulbs. I pretty sure during the first few seconds when you turn the HID's on, they draw twice as much as a standard bulb, then drop. I think I'll just get a relay anyways. You guys make your own relays or can you get them somewhere?

Thanks for the replys. Yes, I'm talking a real kit, not just blue bulbs. I pretty sure during the first few seconds when you turn the HID's on, they draw twice as much as a standard bulb, then drop. I think I'll just get a relay anyways. You guys make your own relays or can you get them somewhere?

Mine came with the kit, I am very happy with mine. Great buy if you havn't bought a set yet!!!

The word HID is thrown around way too much on the internet. Many people run around thinking they have HIDs because the eBay auction said so. :rolleyes:

Real HIDs if wired properly will actually draw less power from the stock wiring than a regular halogen bulb. For example, my HID harness draws its power for the ballast directly from the battery itself, and the factory harness is only used for it to get a signal to turn on or off.

If you are talking about a cheapo halogen bulb that says HIDs and just runs at a higher wattage, then yes, you will probably fry the harness.

They do draw less amps after start up, but the initial start up draws too much for the factory wiring... I tried to wire them directly to the factory wiring and was blowing the fuses everytime.

They do draw less amps after start up, but the initial start up draws too much for the factory wiring... I tried to wire them directly to the factory wiring and was blowing the fuses everytime.

i blew the stock 7 or 10amp fuse once on initial start up. i put the next fuse up, i want to say they are 10amp stock, and i put a 15. or they were 7 and i put 10's in

either way i ended up upgrading the fuses and havent had 1 issue since.

i blew the stock 7 or 10amp fuse once on initial start up. i put the next fuse up, i want to say they are 10amp stock, and i put a 15. or they were 7 and i put 10's in

either way i ended up upgrading the fuses and havent had 1 issue since.

The factory puts 7.5a fuses in the distribution block. Every time I tried to power them I blew the fuses. But I didn't want to try a bigger fuse and risk the chance of frying the wiring. So I just used a relay to eliminate the risk of frying the wiring.

yeah....i know mine is after market but not... they are out of a Acura TSX, got them brand new from my buddy.
not sure if that makes any difference or not...

yeah....i know mine is after market but not... they are out of a Acura TSX, got them brand new from my buddy.

Lol! You gotta love those TSX "buddy sales" of hot acura HIDs. Honestly though I'd probably take a set as well and just not ask any questions.

Lol! You gotta love those TSX "buddy sales" of hot acura HIDs. Honestly though I'd probably take a set as well and just not ask any questions.

yeah yeah. no he has receipts to prove the perhased them
they are 350 $ i about crapped my self when i saw it

eventually after i get done with building my turbo kit, ill be doing custom projectors for my car 8k in the projectors 3k in the fogs

yeah yeah. no he has receipts to prove the perhased them
they are 350 $ i about crapped my self when i saw it

Well he got robbed as well then. You can "find" the entire headlight with the ballasts and wiring "accidentally cut" during uninstall on their cousins boyfriends TSX that got totaled for way less.

Back