• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Guess what I picked up

Don't forget to check that blinker fluid too. You don't want the brakes to stop working because the IMRC resistor failed :D.

YAY! Either i'm retarded or I found some thing you guys missed. The wife sides with the retard thought. Any ways, yes there are small bearings at the end of both secondary shafts. I think thats why many imrcs fail.
Heres the proof. I already looked up the part number and found replacements.

PICT4800.jpg

You're not crazy. I shot some looooobe in that zone when I had the LIM off before, good call replacing them!

I knew they were there. It is the same one that is in the TB housings. Out of all the ones I have seen (50+), none have been "siezed".... Good call replacing it though. How do you get it out?

wow this is an awesome thread. great job on the detail and photos. will definitely keep reading.

Are those the only ones? Are there bushings the rest of the way down? How did the shaft come out?

Make sure you use locktite on LIM screws for the butterfly plates. Ask Pete what happens when you don't.

Make sure you use locktite on LIM screws for the butterfly plates. Ask Pete what happens when you don't.

I'd rather not know.LOL. I was even thinking of hammering the threaded end of the screw but I would never be able to get it off again.

The shaft does turn with the bearings locked. Once I have the new bearings I'll compare.

The rest of the bore seem to be just drilled aluminum. As far as removing them I have a "bearing removal tool" from Matco tools. It's really slide hammer with a couple different adapters. I'm sure there are other tools for the job but it'll work fine. I hope :crazy:

Don't forget to check that blinker fluid too. You don't want the brakes to stop working because the IMRC resistor failed :D.

So, I guess your coming over to help change the blinker fluid and check the IMRC resistor right?
:p

Took the bearings out tonight. As you can see they put up fight. In the end ot took a little heat from a propane torch to get them out. The new bearing are in the center of the picture. They are teflon sealed. I hope that they last a little longer. I had to buy 10. So, after the install I'll have a few to spare.

PICT4847.jpg

Isn't it fun pulling bearings out of blind holes? My personal favorite is a bearing pressed onto a shaft with an interference fit and right up against a shoulder so you can't do anything but cut the :censored::censored::censored::censored:er off.

Back