• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

deleting EGR on full 3L

newb

Hard-core CEG'er
ok guys, im deleting the egr on my 04 taurus 3.0 i need to know, do i hjave to keep the DPFE or wut ever its called that has the two lines from the egr tube to it? thx guys

To do it right, you should physically remove both together, and have both disabled in your tune. I would not try to remove one and keep the other. Just me.

Even if you disable the DPFE some noted a while back that the ECU still checked for it on startup (only some cars). Try it without the DPFE and if you get a light for it then you need to plug it in and leave it there (no tubes running to it).

You're not listening.... on some cars it doesn't matter what you do in the tune you still had to have it plugged in, even if the software supposedly disabled it.

so if u dont tune it out and keep the dfpe plugged but remove the system the check engine light wont turn on? then whats the sensor for?

so if u dont tune it out and keep the dfpe plugged but remove the system the check engine light wont turn on? then whats the sensor for?
You can't just magically "tune it out". It can be mostly ignored, but sometimes the sensor is still required to be plugged in to keep from getting a CEL. That's what he's saying.

mine is "magically" tuned out. thats all im saying

and what they are saying is that some cars you cant completely tune it out for some reason. some cars, like yours and both my Zetec and SVT could have all of the EGR turned off so that even without the DPFE hooked up it wouldnt turn on the CEL. some cars though require that the DPFE still be hooked up, even though there is no EGR flow, in order to keep the CEL off.

ok sweet thx guys. guess ill just keep it plugged in till she gets tuned

Just a question... but why are you removing the EGR system? There are benefits for running it if you research it.

never been a fan of a egr system on any of my cars... seems to cause me more problems than its worth.

never been a fan of a egr system on any of my cars... seems to cause me more problems than its worth.

Agreed for a full 3L swap. Eliminating the EGR just gives you more room for vacuum lines and whatever else you're changing to use the full 3L UIM. #49 is right about the benefits and it does not hurt performance at all. It's basically one small thing to make the 3L swap a little easier.

it takes less time to delete it then to modify to make it work. makes the engine bay cleaner. pretty much the only thing that this will cause is hotter combustion temps while cruising

Quick question, wut to use to plug the damn hole in the header. Im having a hell of a time finding something

Quick question, wut to use to plug the damn hole in the header. Im having a hell of a time finding something

I believe you can get a compression cap from your local hardware store in the plumbing section, however I had a little trouble finding the correct size.

What I ended up doing was cutting the the EGR tube about two inches from the fitting that screws on to the header, I pinched it shut and welded it closed and haven't had an issue yet.

Back