• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Harness Bar

Rodewaryer

CEG'er
I've been looking about 40 min now in General discussion, interior mods, Autocross and I forget the other thread, I also used the search. Enough.

Anyone know where to source a Contour Harness bar? Does one exist or does one need to be fabricated? Thanks in advance.

Rally Innovations made one for a member on here (Dion). $350. There was a group buy that offered 5-10 for $325 each, but it never made it off the ground. If you want to contact them and maybe set up another group buy, I would be willing to buy one. Here is a link to the old group buy:
Harness Bar Group Buy

Those have been on EBAY for a while now, and apparently they do test fit them in every car that they listed to be able to fit...

looks like good quality too, and choice of colors for slightly more $$.

Those have been on EBAY for a while now, and apparently they do test fit them in every car that they listed to be able to fit...

looks like good quality too, and choice of colors for slightly more $$.

hmmm about a hundred less that rally innovations, but the rally innovations bar just looks so much cleaner.

that e-bay bar doesnt say anywhere in it what kind of tubing was used to make it. Is it DOM tubing? What kind of steel is it? How thick of wall tubing is used?

I wouldnt trust it. At only 6 LBS for all of that, seems like it would be pretty cheaply built to me, and not the kind of thing I would trust in an accident.

that e-bay bar doesnt say anywhere in it what kind of tubing was used to make it. Is it DOM tubing? What kind of steel is it? How thick of wall tubing is used?

I wouldnt trust it. At only 6 LBS for all of that, seems like it would be pretty cheaply built to me, and not the kind of thing I would trust in an accident.
its not 6lbs for all of it. its 6lbs for the harness bar itself and another 3lbs each for the support rods for a total of 12lbs. at 6lbs for approximately 5ft of tubing that would be 1.5" x .083 DOM. still dont know if i would trust it for a harness bar but idk what most are made from either.

its not 6lbs for all of it. its 6lbs for the harness bar itself and another 3lbs each for the support rods for a total of 12lbs. at 6lbs for approximately 5ft of tubing that would be 1.5" x .083 DOM. still dont know if i would trust it for a harness bar but idk what most are made from either.

no its 2.5 inch tubing they are using for the harness bar according to the listing. Probably not DOM tubing, and I am guessing for a 6lb weight for probably right around 5 feet of tubing with the bends, it would have to be about 16 gauge walls... errr 0.0598 wall tubing. Maybe less, because IDK if they are counting in the weight of the brackets on the end. Anyways, it should be about as beefy as exhaust pipe. maybe I am not doing my math right. From the pictures, it looks like the end brackets are 3/8" plates, so that may be adequate.

Anyways, I know for a roll cage for a 3000 lb vehicle you should be using 2"X0.120" DOM at least made from mild carbon steel or 4130 chromoly which is a bit more than 2LBS per foot. So I would assume you would want to make a harness bar out of that at least, since it doesnt have the cross bracing that a full cage would have so that it can resist distortion on an impact.

Anyways, you would have to be a fool to buy a harness bar from someone who lists

Gauge of harness bar = Unknown

just my $0.02

Put it in the pile with PVC roll bars, who would go cheap on a serious safety item like that.

looking at the pictures it doesnt look like 2.5" tubing, looks much closer to 1.5". i still wouldnt trust it at .083 wall thickness though.

and i agree i wouldnt buy something like this from someone who doesnt know all the specs.

alley said:
true that it prob. is not good for safety, but it is more than fine for looks.
yes, but you dont install a harness bar for looks, you install it so you can strap your 4/5/6 point harness to it for safety.

true that it prob. is not good for safety, but it is more than fine for looks.
I'll tell you what it is strong enough for. Killing any rear passengers you have in a crash because it was installed "for looks" and not on a dedicated track car or two-seater.

I'll tell you what it is strong enough for. Killing any rear passengers you have in a crash because it was installed "for looks" and not on a dedicated track car or two-seater.

That and allowing you to go flying through your windshield in an accident because you thought it looked cool. So at least you wouldnt outlive your rear passengers.

guess best thing to do would be ask some of the people the seller has had business with for their opinion :shrug:. Other then that if someone could ask our fellow member (Dion) what the specs on his bar is. then maybe i could go research the cost of making it and see if it will come out cheaper if a ceger did the manufacturing and painting.

so does anyone already have some measurements of height, width, diameter of piping and wall thickness of piping oh and of course the type of material it needs to be built out of.

I am having one built sometime in the near future. Depending on quality and other factors, I may see if he is interested in producing a batch of them.

well I've had a harness bar in my car for some time, and I know someone was curious about it when I posted pics the other weekend.

I'm not sure the wall thickness of the pipe but I'm pretty sure the bar itself clocks in at over 6 pounds.

And this bar should fit the contours as well. The last time it was out of my cougar, I quickly tried to see if everything lined up the same which it appeared to do.

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=4155&stc=1&d=1239587592

Back