• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT#5959 got in an accident today

well, i might have changed my mind again and decided just to part it out...because i dont want to risk spending loads of money on it and not having it drive even 1/2 the same way or just have it drive like poop...who knows
i just think the best thing to do is move on...who knows where though???

its a contour chill out now you can buy a honda n engine swap a b16 into it n put nos turbo wit a supacharga

Last edited:
@Daboo - Try to be helpful here man. His car was just totaled...

@OP - There's always risk with fixing cars that have had any frame damage. If the frame is okay, you're probably fine to fix. Otherwise, parting it out may make more sense.

well, i might have changed my mind again and decided just to part it out...because i dont want to risk spending loads of money on it and not having it drive even 1/2 the same way or just have it drive like poop...who knows
i just think the best thing to do is move on...who knows where though???

If by some miracle the frame is not trashed and you can find used parts, fix it, otherwise part it out. If you really want another CSVT, well you know where you can get one ;)

Car is totaled...and today i sadly found out that my insurance company neglected to tell my father and I that i dont have collision...therefore, its gonna cost 5100 to repair it with the frame damage. So, if anyone wants to give me money for the damage car and part it out themselves, please PM me because i dont have time to deal with this. Im already out 5000 and i cant get it back, so paying another 5100 to repair it makes no sense. So, if u want to help me out and buy the car off of me, please let me kno.

i have an official ad in the Classifieds section

thanks

_Ben

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that man. If you are looking for another CSVT mine is going up for sale in the near future.

Hope everything turns out for you.

Car is totaled...and today i sadly found out that my insurance company neglected to tell my father and I that i dont have collision...therefore, its gonna cost 5100 to repair it with the frame damage. So, if anyone wants to give me money for the damage car and part it out themselves, please PM me because i dont have time to deal with this. Im already out 5000 and i cant get it back, so paying another 5100 to repair it makes no sense. So, if u want to help me out and buy the car off of me, please let me kno.

i have an official ad in the Classifieds section

thanks

_Ben

Wait a minute - you got hit in the back , not your fault because someone else wasn't paying attention (or following too close) and YOU have to come up with the money :shrug: ?!?! Things must be different in Michigan ... that sucks :mad: !

Thats No fault insurance for you.

Apperantly they only had PLPD which only covers him if he injures someone else.

Wait a minute - you got hit in the back , not your fault because someone else wasn't paying attention (or following too close) and YOU have to come up with the money :shrug: ?!?! Things must be different in Michigan ... that sucks :mad: !
No you're right. If you had accident insurance your insurance company would take the other drivers insurance to court, but since you didn't, its up to you to take it on. If the other driver was at fault, its his insurance that will pay, and as long as you have a police report and it is clear who was at fault they should pay up straight away, without any hassles. If the other guy was uninsured then it get more difficult, but you should not just write that money off. I think you need to file proceedings against the other driver to get the process started either way. Then he will notify his insurance and hopefully they will make you an offer. Get a few quotes which cover EVERYTHING so that you get enough money to fully cover the costs. And don't forget to add legal costs to the amount of your claim.

Your car was totalled due to the negligence of another. Now I don't know anything about Michigan law, but you should be able to sue the other guy (NOT his insurance company) for all damage directly and indirectly caused by his negligence.

No-fault law has nothing to do with this. Insurance law has nothing to do with this, other than when you sue the guy, his insurance company (if he has one) will provide him with a lawyer and a defense and will pay you if you can prove he was at fault.

And as far as having the other driver pay for your attorney, that would be great if you lived in England. In America, except for extremely limited cases, everyone pays for his or her own attorney.

Call around, speak to a few attorneys and if you can't afford one, sue the guy yourself in small claims court or whatever the equivalent is in Michigan.

Your car was totalled due to the negligence of another. Now I don't know anything about Michigan law, but you should be able to sue the other guy (NOT his insurance company) for all damage directly and indirectly caused by his negligence.

No-fault law has nothing to do with this. Insurance law has nothing to do with this, other than when you sue the guy, his insurance company (if he has one) will provide him with a lawyer and a defense and will pay you if you can prove he was at fault.

And as far as having the other driver pay for your attorney, that would be great if you lived in England. In America, except for extremely limited cases, everyone pays for his or her own attorney.

Call around, speak to a few attorneys and if you can't afford one, sue the guy yourself in small claims court or whatever the equivalent is in Michigan.

FYI in many cases you can include Attorney fees in your law suit ;)

Thats all I was saying. My point was to remember everything when you negotiate the settlement because once you settle thats it. So having a nice fat quote for the repairs in hand is a good negotiating tactic.

No you're right. If you had accident insurance your insurance company would take the other drivers insurance to court, but since you didn't, its up to you to take it on. If the other driver was at fault, its his insurance that will pay, and as long as you have a police report and it is clear who was at fault they should pay up straight away, without any hassles. If the other guy was uninsured then it get more difficult, but you should not just write that money off. I think you need to file proceedings against the other driver to get the process started either way. Then he will notify his insurance and hopefully they will make you an offer. Get a few quotes which cover EVERYTHING so that you get enough money to fully cover the costs. And don't forget to add legal costs to the amount of your claim.

GOOD ADVICE HERE! DON'T YOU WATCH JUDGE JUDY ;) you have a rock solid case, just make sure you get the estimates and go for the highest one. Don't mention the others or they'll reduce your judgement.

SOMEBODY GET A ROPE, & WHERE'S THAT GUY THAT HAD THE NERVE TO HIT AN SVT IN THE ASS END..........

All kidding asside, I used to live in MI. No fault sucks but you do have the right to take action against the other driver.

If you have collision, the insurance company takes care of all the legal issues of getting the other guys insurance to pay up. Since you didn't have collision, you still can file against the other guy. I think it's under $100 to file with the local courts. If you have a police record stating it's his fault, there's really not much you have to worry about -- it's clear whose fault it is.

I would find a lawyer and pay the consult fee. I know it sounds like a lot of money to keep shelling out (lawyer fee, filing fee, etc...) but with the police report, you'll have a pretty good case. The courts won't allow you to GAIN money off the deal, but you shoulnd't have to loose anything due to another person's negligence.

Good luck with whatever you want to do. I don't think you'll get what you owe plus repairs, but you should at least get what you owe plus the cost of the inconvienence to you, lawyers fees, etc...

FYI in many cases you can include Attorney fees in your law suit ;)

I'll never say never, but unless you had a pre-existing contract with the guy who hit you stating that he will pay for your attorney's fees in case of an accident, or unless you can prove that the guy rammed you intentionally, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO RECOVER YOUR ATTORNEY'S FEES in any lawsuit. I don't know where people get this idea from, but in a standard negligence case in America, each litigant pays for his or her attorney.

But don't take my word for it. Pick up your yellow pages and call some attorneys - especially those who advertise free telephone consultations. You should be able to find somebody to represent you for between $500 and $1500.

If you are able to sue for any kind of personal injury, you will be able to get a lawyer on a contingency basis.

Also, a police report is nice, but in most courts, a police report by itelf is inadmissable hearsay and will not be considered by the Court. You will need the police officer who responded or some actual witnesses (including yourself) to testify in Court or you will need photographs or something else to prove the other guy was at fault.

Now I'm curious...

How exactly does the Insurence Company get the other guys insurance to pay when you do carry collision? Do they actually have lawyers bring in the police officers, or to they use the report. I was under the impression that they used the report to show fault and then forced the other guy's insurance to pay up.

Obviously, in this instance, your premiums cover the lawyers time and therefore, I guess I shouldn't claim to know how that works.

Insurance companies can rely on the Police Report if they want, but if the injuries or damages are significant, and unless liability is clear-cut, they will conduct their own investigations.

In Court, however, a Police Report is generally inadmissable hearsay and will not be considered as evidence. In some states, in small claims courts, there are relaxed rules of evidence and the Judge has the discretion to consider anything.

Good to know. I've know someone who went to small claims court over something like $3500 in damages from an accident when they didn't have collision. From what I remember, all they used as evidence was a police report, so this makes sense. It was up to the Judge I guess and it was a pretty clear cut example of someone not paying attention and running into the back of another car.

Just like to know what my options are since I took collision off my beater reacently.

Back