• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cracked glass?

Devanmc

Veteran CEG'er
Alright, over the summer i got a small chip in my windsheild below the passanger wiper blade. Well using my defrost this winter, the expansion made that turn into a crack along the bottom of my windshield. The crack does not obstruct my vision in anyway, unless im looking down at my hood. It also is only in the outside layer, inside is not cracked or chipped. It is only one crack(not spidered, ect.).

What if any rules are their about this in open track or autocross?

well it is my daily driver and I dont want to spend another 200 on a windshield since it was just replaced(2 years ago, same thing happened to old one) . my car needs more important things right now then that, again.

I do have full coverage on the car (i4 sedan gets me 50bucks a month), I didn't think that would cover misc. damage.

can you explain how insurance covers this?

well glass replacement is part of my insurance. if something was to happen it would be replaced at no cost to me, other then my insurance premium. so if it chipped or cracked it would be repaired or replaced. so you got a chip and then the glass cracked. the chip had to of been from driving .... also my insurance carries coverage for other, ie fire, theft, natural damge, say a tree branch falling on the car.

point was if you have glass coverage call them up and see if they will replace it. it is kinda a safety issue ...

like before I got my mystique from my parents they got the windshield replaced by our insurance company. it was so pitted and sand blasted that it wasn't safe, in certain sunlight you almost couldn't see through it ....

can't hurt to ask. explain what happened and go from there. if you have glass coverage that you what you are paying for.

called them, i got nothing. Other then what is need to drive a car im michigan.

He said it was another 250(on my 598) a year for full/comprehensive coverage(with $100 deductible). I might pick it up. either way im scouting for a shop now.:shrug:

edit: besdies that it will eventually turn into a problem. No one has actually answer my question yet

and would lexan actually work well? never seen, toughed or messed with the stuff.

like before I got my mystique from my parents they got the windshield replaced by our insurance company. it was so pitted and sand blasted that it wasn't safe, in certain sunlight you almost couldn't see through it ....

that's how my windshield is! it sucks in the sun light. humm... maybe i should call up my insurance company.

He said it was another 250(on my 598) a year for full/comprehensive coverage(with $100 deductible). I might pick it up. either way im scouting for a shop now.:shrug:

edit: besdies that it will eventually turn into a problem. No one has actually answer my question yet

and would lexan actually work well? never seen, toughed or messed with the stuff.

If you plan to drive it on the street I do believe it is illegal to use Lexan. Lexan also scatches very easy and will degrade with exposure to sunlight. It also provides less support than glass. Race cars use it because it is very light, not because it is durable.
As far as driving in AutoX or open track it is up to the Safety Steward and the inspectors. If they feel it is a problem they will not let you run.

I emailed Gingermin Raceway about it. The manager said she would need to talk to their "lead safety control corner worker."

Yeah, lexan sucks for scratches and being able to see out of. Racers only put up with it because it is so much lighter than OEM glass, but even then, its expensive, and then racers spend even more for things like tear-offs, or special coatings to reduce scratching.

Devan, you could always consider getting a used windshield from a yard for pretty cheap, and install it yourself. You really just need to cut out the old one, and put the new one in with a tube of urethane windshield glue. i've done a few on mustang race cars, and its not too bad if you have some help, and at least one guy with experience doing a windshield replacement. Or you can just pay a glass company the labor to install your used glass.

I'll look into doing it. I talked to Gingermen and they said i would be able to run at the track day, but im still going to try to have it fixed.

You should really shop around for insurance. I'm in a high-risk category, but I only pay $640/year for full coverage on my SVT from Progressive. FWIW, I got a better price through my local agent than Progressive quoted me online.

Back