• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

coilover opinion

The spring perch is meant to be in two parts that adjust separately. To adjust the height you want to turn the upper part that is in contact with the spring, when you get it where you want you will thread the lower part up to lock the upper in place. You want to use both of the adjustment wrenches to get the bottom one tight without letting the upper part move. They shouldn't spin when they are together.

That's what makes the most sense looking at them, the broken english in the instructions is not helping. It says verbatim: For extending the life of coilovers and the unusual bound can be avoided, please do not adjust the "A" part to compress the spring. PS please do not adjust the "A" for changing the height.

The A part it refers to is the upper spring perch and it goes on to tell you to adjust the "B" part to adjust the height, B being the lower part of the spring perch. Like I said it makes more sense to adjust the upper perch, then just tighten the lower perch up to it to lock it in place.

So finally got my new strut mounts and just ordered new rotors, so I'll probably be doing this job on thursday of next week since I only get this saturday and next thursday off, just some final questions.

Factory bump stops, reuse or leave them off? Plastic tube covering drivers side springs, remove? Almost positive they are just protectors for shipping but not sure. Also I want to get new pinch bolts but my Ford dealership is horrible, the old guy at the parts counter wouldn't even look anything up for me, just told me everything was discontinued :rolleyes: so what's the thread on them and how long are they? Figure I'll just pick some up after work at some point since my job shares a parking lot with an Ace hardware. Thanks guys.

I re-used my pinch bolts. Also, leave that plastic sleeve thing on the spring, it will prevent it from squeaking.

Back