• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutchnet failure with 6K miles... discuss pics inside...

svttour

Rico Suave
What went wrong.. got this from a friend to look it over and see what could have caused premature failure.

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

Just to throw my feedback in. I have the Red PP with organic disk and about 18k on it right now. Most of it highway but I have abused it some with the 3L and still feels like it did on day 1. I have had a fair amount of clutch chatter though.

Sean and crewchief, how many miles are on yours now and what kind of driving has it seen?

I have the same clutch also. with the 3L turbo I have a few thousand miles on it.

it looks like something was loose in the bell housing. whats up with the line on the back side of the disk friction material?

Overall it still looks pretty good. how did it fail?

on the install was a new flywheel used? was it resurface? if it was resurfaced was it done correctly?

I also have a 3.0 turbo. I don't dump the clutch in 1st ( pretty worthless endevor in a 3.0 turbo anyway ) but do get on it in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Looks to me to be an install problem or a throwout bearing problem.

Mine has probably 10,000kms or so...daily driven and had frequent hard driving as well...only dumps I did were no more than 3000rpms a few times with a 3L and built tranny. I have chatter too but that's expected

What the hell????

Thats what I am trying to figure out

What exactly did it do? Slip? Looks like it got hot.

Mine has been great.

It wasnt my clutch but he said that it made a weird noise enguaging the clutch and it would shudder.

He also said it was broken in smoothly and never launched

Did the clutch actually fail? Still looks to me like the TOB is ruined with clutch dust.

Well Im not sure it it failed or not but why would it produce so much dust?

I have the same clutch also. with the 3L turbo I have a few thousand miles on it.

it looks like something was loose in the bell housing. whats up with the line on the back side of the disk friction material?

Overall it still looks pretty good. how did it fail?

on the install was a new flywheel used? was it resurface? if it was resurfaced was it done correctly?

I dont know what that line is it could be all of the dust that was being produced....

There is also a groove in the pressure plate I dont know if you can distinguish it in the first pic.

Ill get back to you about the flywheel but I believe it was new stock SVT.

You say that it still looks like its in good shape. But its almost wore down to the riverts already... is that normal never seen one of these clutches up close so Im not sure. Im thinking that the disk was put in backwards.

Flywheel pics?

What was happenin to make you pull it?

I deleted them Ill try to get more. It would shudder and make noise..

Also, looks like there may have been something on one of the surfaces durring assembly...some fluid or other form of contamination.
Do you think the TOB failed? BUT what would produce so much dust? I would want to put this back into a car...

the clutch disk material makes alot of dust. nature of the beast. the dust will get into the tob and make it make noise.

also, new there isn't much material from the disk surface to the rivets. the material should be strong/tough enough that it isn't going to wear alot. however it will wear the flywheel and pressure plate alot.

I don't believe the disk will fit and the pp bolt down if the disk is installed backwards.

Also I do get some shutter with mine on engagement.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I see the 2 disks look almost identical as far as clutch pad goes from new to the used one. I see that its wearing really close to the outer edge.

from his email

"less then 6,000 miles of daily driving. ZERO abuse, ZERO launches, broken in carefully and had trans flush at about 1,000 miles. Constant whine/moan when releasing the clutch (specifically when cold, in first gear/reverse) since clutch was installed. Was new flywheel, release bearing, clutch, PP, etc. Excessive dust noted."

Initial break in is whats gonna make the most dust. Thats when the most wear occurs, other than droppin the clutch.

When you drive the car, do you rest your foot on the clutch pedal? Not saying putting any pressure on it, just setting your foot on it...

Back