• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buying parts for 99 SVT - Need to know build date?

Westwildcat

CEG'er
I was going to buy front brake pads for my 99 svt the other day, and they said they needed to know the build date to know which front brake pads to get for the car. How do I go about finding this information out for them so I can get the right from brake pads?

Thanks

you have a 99 ... that uses the same brake pads as a non-SVT.

btw the chain stores always get it wrong.

Last edited:
Whatever sticker that is supposed to be on the door jamb has been taken off there is nothing there. I went to multiple parts stores all of them said the same thing... they need to know if the car was built in the first five months of 99 or the last seven to know which brake pads it would be. Luckily the local shop is going to get in both sets for me, and whichever set I dont use they will send back!

Why don't you just take your breaks apart and get the part number off of them. Or take a old pad inside and match it to the new options. I have has multiple svt contours all of different years and styles no one has ever asked me for the build date except I provided them with it for my E0 cars.

Ford used both pads for 99 SVTs.

That is the first I have ever heard of that. So there are 99's that use the E0 caliper?

Either way a review of the BAT catolog clearly shows the differences between the two pad styles to compare to what is on the car.

That is the first I have ever heard of that. So there are 99's that use the E0 caliper?

Yep. I'm surprised this is the first time you've heard this. I remember it being a problem for people like crazy back in the day. The BAT catalog mentions the pad changes for 99 too.

Ordering the pads from a parts store can be a nightmare because of how they all list the pads differently. Since Ford switched back and forth until mid-99, the best way to know is to just check the caliper/pads itself to be sure.

Ok so no another problem...... I have both sets of brake pads here.... go and take mine off... and neither of the ones they sent are right? Mine are smaller than both the sets that they sent, smaller in the way that the new ones are taller if that makes any sense. And by looking at the ones they sent I cant really tell any difference between the two new sets. They look the same to me? Did they send two of the same instead of sending the two different sets?

I have a 98 SVT contour parts car... any chance i would take those ones off and they would be the same?

The ones I took off my 99 are so worn you cant read any part number on them anymore so I dont know what to do?

Any comments or suggestions appreciated....

Thanks

Well if both new sets are the same, then there is your problem. Use the template in the BAT catalog to compare the two styles. They are to scale so you can print the page out and lay the pad on top of it.

A 98 could be the same, or it could be different. It depends on the production dates of both your 99 and 98.

sounds like you have the standard non-SVT front brake pads on the car. Just look at the BAT catolog to compare.

Will the bigger SVT front brake pads fit or has someone changed the calipers or did some SVTs have the smaller non-SVT pads/calipers? Car is back together so I cant try them....

Thanks

FYI, the build date does not always help. I ordered new brake pads base on the build date of my 1999, but the pads didn't fit. It turns out that I have the later style pads. BAT mentions that they have seen this, and my cars is one of those exceptions.

Back