• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines

wait do i need a new retaining clip to? or can i reuse the old one.

ahh i forgot about crush washers for the brake lines/ bleeder screws. i cant remember if there are any from when i changed calipers.

Last edited:
Should have gotten new retaining clips with your lines but I'm sure you could re-use the old ones.
My bleeder screws didn't have any sort of washers.

did your brake lines have any crush washers? i know something did when i put new front calipers on like 2 years ago. lol

anyway. do you have part #s for the retaining clips?

Last edited:
No, I got new ones with my Goodrich kit. I would think you could just get them from any auto store though.

are we talking about the bushings that mount to the strut? or clips that snap onto the end of the hardline side of the new hose?

edit: autozones pics are now working and i can see the metal clip. i guess ill have to bug napa. lol

Last edited:
SVTC1136 where the hell did you find the M10x1.0 union? I have tried all my local hardware stores and they all just carry standard, no metric. I even looked online and cannot find anything.
-tropictour

I have not been able to find one. SvtKid said he got some from aeroquip but I have not heard back from him about him getting me some. If you find some get a pair for me too. I will let you know if I manage to get hold of some. Actually, I might call goodrich today and see if they can get them for me.

Well I should have done this from the start. I called tirerack and they are now in touch with goodridge. They asked me send a photo so they can see whats up, apprently this is isn't the first time people have had issues. Anyway, I am going to send them some pics tonight and hopefully that will take care of it.

You are in San Diego call Hawthorne Performance in San Marcos,they did the lines on my car and it was a real easy fab job. I have Goodridge lines and it corrected the design flaw.

Thanks man. I actually called up tirerack and they had goodridge fabricate me some replacement rear lines which I just got last week. Goodridge asked for pics. The tirerack lady said they knew of the problem.
Now I've just got to convert the one I modified back to female and I'll be all set.
So, if you find you have the female rear hardline, get the updated lines from goodridge before you start. Of note is that I called goodridge direct and got no help, but tirerack took care of it for me and I had the new lines in a couple of weeks.

I have already converted my lines but ,I have contacted them via email.If they do not to resolve these issues,I will be a tick on they're telecom systems.This reminds me when I got sent the wrong D2 coilovers and they snapped in half.After I almost killed my car I found that they had sent me ford Focus ones.They tried selling me a discounted system,I got so Irate that I contacted D2 Taiwan and told them of the unhonorable way their american counterparts were acting.Low and behold D2 USA started to cooperate,got 4 new coilovers for free.So the moral of the story is another company that likes screwing over their customers,would be getting away with it except for their consumers communicating.Well let's see to what extent I have to get involved.Thanks for the heads up!

just a thought as I just got done working on my rear hard lines and making my own braided hoses...

My rear hard lines developed a leak requiring replacement. So as I was replacing the hard lines I decided to replace the rubber flex hoses with braided hoses.

Now my 98.5 SVT had female hard line fittings in the rear and male hard line fittings in the front. While I redid my hard lines I made the rear hard line fittings now male ones.

Then I decided to make my own flex hoses from Earl's products. I bought 6ft of clear PVC coated -3 teflon lines braided hose #6000031, (4) -3 M10x1.0 female concave flare hose fittings #641103 and (4) -3 M10x1.0 male convex flare #640303. Everything was bought from ANPlumbing.com as the local Parker Store didn't have everything in stock, total was about $80 plus shipping.

Assembly was pretty straight forward. A bit different than assembling rubber/SS braided hose for oil lines and such but overall it wasn't bad. I just followed the instructional video they have on their site.

I figure if these ever start to leak that I can just pull everything apart, buy new olives and hose and remake the hoses for probably $25-30.

Here are some pictures...

now, for those of you with the female fittings in the back instead of all male fittings on the hard lines you could just buy 6 male hose ends and 2 female hose ends and make your hoses accordingly. The ONLY down side I see with doing it that way is you would have to zip tie (or otherwise fix into place) the hard line/flex hose union to the bracket as I don't think you'll be able to use the spring clip to hold it in place like you can with the female hose ends, this is mostly why I decided to change my rear hard line fittings to male when I redid my rear hard lines (which you can see I routed differently than stock making gas tank removal not required).

Also, for the rubber bushings that hold the flex hose to the strut, I use a knife and carefully cut a slit in it so I could remove it from the original hose and install it on the new hose. This work just fine.

I just wanted to share another way of doing the braided hoses. Not knocking any of the pre-made kits, I just like making my own if I can and Earl's products are good quality.

Kudos! I couldn't bring myself to "make" something as important as flex brake lines. I've help my dad replace hard lines but not custom flex.

-Andy

Last edited:
Thanks!

These were my first brakes lines but I have worked with earl's products before when I relocated the oil filter and on my girls Jimmy so I felt confident that I could do it. I made those as well as redoing the rear hardlines in a way that the gas tank doesn't have to come down to get to them.

They worked great though, just got back from vacation in Gatlinburg, TN. Made it over to the Tail of the Dragon and made a few passes, had a lot of fun. Brakes felt good.

Back