• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blew up my trans, price?

OMFG! You can't be serious. You're going to have a nice paper weight of a new Torsen. Congrats.

Got it off, nvm. Spent forever getting the case back on the car, finally get all the bolts tight and notice a big 'ol :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing magnet sitting on the ground below the trans.... great.
Tomorrow I start the process of removing the case, once again.
are you taking photo's of this ? Did you take both driveshafts out or just the drivers side and slide the diff off the pass. side ? You've done well to find a new way..G.

i understand what you are saying..do it once..do it properly. Some folks may have already have replaced the clutch and flywheel but not the diff. I agree, lets see how it works out...but also, lets give it every chance to work eh ?..G.

It's not a new way. It's not the way to do it. I want to see what happens after he gets it all together.:help:
jeez todd give the guy a break. If something does break when it gets back together then please feel free to ridicule but until then why not let it be since it is already done for the most part

What's wrong about taking it out that way? What other way is there to take it out and what am I destroying by doing it this way?

Ok so here is the deal.... First I have not done this so I'm not the expert here but there are a few things you need to be aware of. There are shims that need to be used to have the correct alignment of the diff. If you do not use them or have it too tight you stand a good chance of a misalignment of the gears and there by destroying your tranny again in very short order. The diff needs to be shimmed under pressure which is not all that difficult to do when you have the whole tranny out, which you did not. The process is a bit of a trial and error using the shim pack and instructions that should have come with your diff. I believe the process is also outlined on the Ford CD. My buddy just did this to his which is why I asked you the question.

Now fellas since I know you know more about this than I we are dealing with a fellow CEG'r here and he is in desperate need of help whether he knows it or not. The least we can do is give good council and see if we can help him save this debacle. We can make fun of him later......:laugh:

AF

Ok so here is the deal.... First I have not done this so I'm not the expert here but there are a few things you need to be aware of. There are shims that need to be used to have the correct alignment of the diff. If you do not use them or have it too tight you stand a good chance of a misalignment of the gears and there by destroying your tranny again in very short order. The diff needs to be shimmed under pressure which is not all that difficult to do when you have the whole tranny out, which you did not. The process is a bit of a trial and error using the shim pack and instructions that should have come with your diff. I believe the process is also outlined on the Ford CD. My buddy just did this to his which is why I asked you the question.

Ok this makes a lot more sense. It's not taking it out that way that I'm going to damage something its the process of putting it back together, right? I just didn't understand how taking it out that way would make any difference.

Haha yes I'm definitely open for being made fun of cause I obviously don't know what I'm doing. The torsen I ordered from the dealership didn't come with a shim kit, do I need to order one from BAT or wherever?

You got it, and yes you need a shim kit if you don't have one. The process is fairly simple I would suggest you contact Mosh and ask him about it.

Oh don't worry we will..... LOL

You got it, and yes you need a shim kit if you don't have one. The process is fairly simple...

Properly shimming and checking the load isn't such a simple thing. I don't want to sound negative but this is a risk to do if you don't know what you are doing. I'm local and might be able to help you out if I can make some time. I'd hate to see you have to do this again because you burned up the bearings or worst off, destroyed your expensive torsen.

jeez todd give the guy a break. If something does break when it gets back together then please feel free to ridicule but until then why not let it be since it is already done for the most part
To quote Harry Callahan in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations." While I would applaud anyone diving into certain car repairs, chosing one of the two most intricate parts of the car (the engine being the other) as a DIY is venturing into hazardous waters. For most people, this is clearly a job to take to a knowledgable transmission shop. While I would only be guessing at the OP's mechanical capabilities, I think I can assertain from some of the questions asked that this is probably a job better left to the professionals. Since money was an object in the original post, all the more reason to have it done right the first time. IMHO, as always.
Karl

Back