• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blew up my trans, price?

Hope you don't screw up the shift cables as well. Those are another $100 if you break them. Just an FYI.

i just had mine rebuilt with a 3 year warranty for 2600...transmissions are crazy expensive...that was my suspension upgrade money :(

So today I finally got the differential out of the car and man was it torn up. I spent the last 3 days trying to get the second half of the trans case off the block cause from what I thought you guys said I needed to take off the whole case. Well a friend came over today and grabbed the gear attached to the diff and said "can't you just pull this off?". Halfway through me saying No he wiggles it and pulls the differential right out of the case. Whatever, I'm just happy it's off and I don't have to pull the rest of the trans.

Here's the damage:
trannns004.jpg

Tomorrow I'm headed to the dealership to order my new torsen. The dealership told me it would be about $630, but my friends dad gets a 15% to 20% discount so it should be a bit less. I'm hoping to have the car done by sunday so I can take it to school, otherwise I'd shop around more and find it cheaper.

Thanks your all the help!

Way to dive in and do it yourself :thumbup:. Looks like you should be good to go with the new torsen.

What do you mean rest of the trans? You didn't pull the bell housing and replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel while you have everything apart? I'm predicting this R&R will not go well.

While I have everything apart? I don't have everything apart, only half the trans cause I couldn't get the other half off. The whole point of doing this myself is because I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it. I don't have the money to replace the clutch. I don't have the money to resurface the flywheel. It's all running good, I don't have the money, and I don't want to risk messing up anything else while I'm in there. Why mess with something that isn't broken, especially when I don't know what I'm doing.

I'm not made of money like some of you guys seem to be, I don't have the spare change to fix everything while I'm in there. This is a 'just get my car running and not break again' type of repair.

Thanks for the encouragement from the rest of you though!

Todd was only suggesting it to let you enjoy your car longer without repair, as you will probably have to go in there again if your clutch has a lot of miles on it right now.
They talked me into it too, though after seeing the suggested parts to replace "while I was in there" I had to agree because I don't want to feel like I am working on it more than driving it. ;)

I can understand the whole 'while your in there' thing, seeing all the work to get it open. But I just don't have the money for all that right now. Plus the clutch and everything still feels great and the last owner said they were fairly new. Maybe once I have more money I can get in there and start doing some preventative maintenance.

Made of $?! LOL! We have 10 year old Contours. If I had $ I would not have this car.
LOLLL :laugh:. It's so true :cool:

However, I gotta go with the OP on this one. I mean, a clutch job may be beyond the realm of finances and repair ability at this point, so if it wasn't broken before, then why bother now? Besides, if he has always been a good driver then the clutch will likely still be good. Many people go over 125k on original clutches, and maybe even longer!

Sweet, so I'm finally ready to start assembling my car and realize the speedo gear is still on the old diff. Can't find a new one anywhere and I'd really like to get this old one off so I can get my car back on the road for school.

Any tips for removing the old bearing so I can get to the gear? I've already tried leaving it in a freezer and taking a torch to it and the sorry excuse for a dremel that I have. Help!

Got it off, nvm. Spent forever getting the case back on the car, finally get all the bolts tight and notice a big 'ol :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing magnet sitting on the ground below the trans.... great.
Tomorrow I start the process of removing the case, once again.

Back