• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best clutch kits for turbo or supercharged cars

svtfixer

Veteran CEG'er
It's that time again. Killed a clutch masters fx300 kit. It's been something like 3 years. Who's got the best kit for the money right now?

Also Kevlar or organic?

Sidenote: been driving my na 3l w a fresh Clutchnet organic disk w red pressure plate from the groupbuy and its smooth but too early for durability comments and not as much hp as the sc car.

Still think ClutchNet is where it is at. If you call and talk with them they can recommend a setup for you. They build custom parts if necessary. I know I am planning on running the 6 puck disc with the red PP for my car. Oleg @ ClutchNet thought that would be a good setup for me. However my plan for the car has slighting deviated from what I orginally told him now, but in any case I suggest calling them.

I'm aware that SPEC clutches are no good for our cars mainly due to the bad experiences of others running them. However, i've personally had no problems at all with my stage 3+ on my 3L turbo. And it was installed in 2007. About 20k miles covered in the while.

yeah i talked to them them a while back about hte groupbuy stuff. they were accomodating. they also have the most available for the car. i need a stage 3 at least. clutchnets got a stage 4 and 5. the 4 is the next step up for me from what i had and im thinking about that one. "high performance street racing". 5 is like a drag clutch, its not what im doing. i want the most durability out of it as i can get with high performance.

whats bad about the spec kits? i think i read about them too. clutch disk or pressure plate problems? something i noticed with the clutchnet kit i got was that the pressure plate was luk. it was the red version that came w the disk in the group buy. honestly forget what series it was.

so the expectancy of mileage is like 10-12-15k for a stage 4 which is reccomended for me. #49 that was what you were going to use? damn i dont know now that is not that long. again i like the organic stuff, its real smooth but the durability is kind of crap.

i had a clutchnet 6 puck go bad on me in my SC'd coug. the bottom half inch of the flywheel side chattered real bad and tore up the ring on the fidanza and on the clutch. I had less than an oil change on it. i got a competition clutch 6 puck that is going in soon

I have used both the Spec 3 and Clutchnet. I think they are the same system. Both hold fine but are noisy. If you don't try to hold the car on a hill using the clutch or do full throttle launches it will last a long time. You can't be stupid with any clutch.

yeah talking to them only confused me more. it didnt make me confident in them.

Who did you talk too? I went to their site and it looks like they changed things up. Parts below are what I am using... looks like they are calling it their stage 4 kit, which used to be a stage 3.. so who knows.

6BS9371
show_image_in_imgtag.php

RP9371
show_image_in_imgtag.php

Last edited:
that disk looks just like the one I am using in my car. However the pp photo is generic. As with many other companies they are also using the LUK pressure plate. Its supposed to have been reworked. Mine is very noise if I move the car right after starting it up. Let it warm up some and its better. It chatters alot but doesn't really make any noise. I forget how many miles I have on it now, a few thousand at best.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also there isn't alot of clutch material before it gets down to the rivets. But hey, its a high performance aftermarket clutch, it isn't going to last like OEM.

I also ran a DD car with the same stg3 clutch pictured above, bad idea. Clutch lasted 5000kms before the material was long gone. If you drive it alot, or DD it, it wont last long

talked to oleg. thats the kit he reccomended for me. he called it their stage 4. it sounds like it wont last long and this thing is one of my daily drivers so its not reasomable to put that clutch in there. i think i am going back to clutchmasters. it always had a little bit of a weird chatter at idle. i hated that but it did last like 3-4 years w a supercharger on it. brapples plate looks like what i have with clutchnets stage 1. theres a bunch of mixing and matching going on.

i had a spec3+ in my turbo portmatched 3l and drove the hell out of it for like a year, 15k miles and no issues. why a little harsh engagement, BECAUSE RACE CAR

i think its gonna be a clutchmasters again for me as of right now. i dont beat on it but i did build it to be fast and might as well drive it as such.

whats bad about the spec kits? i think i read about them too. clutch disk or pressure plate problems? something i noticed with the clutchnet kit i got was that the pressure plate was luk. it was the red version that came w the disk in the group buy. honestly forget what series it was.

This is what is bad about spec kits. A LOT of people on this platform had this happen to them. This is what happened to mine...and I never was aggresive driving it.
102_3343.jpg

yeah dont see the pics actually. never had a meltdown as such. it would be a no brainer, i wouldnt use a spec after seeing that. did it slowly come apart or just blow up? was it chattering all the way thru or something?

Back