• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BAER Track Plus

you CANNOT resurface the rotors!!!! (according to baer) the baers are a composite rotor. look this ish up before you post. go to any shop with a set of those rotors and ask for them to be resurfaced. no one will do it. the only ones i would consider resurfacing are the 1 piece blank rotors. even those you're not supposed to turn.

Composite...pfft! :nonono:

Cast iron like every other brake rotor out there. Now, I'm sure Baer has their special claim to fame alloy mixture along with other fancy chemical properties for coatings and such, but its still a machined cast iron part.
The reason your local monkey at Pep Boys won't turn the rotors is simple...they are not machinists. They don't know what they are doing and so the grooves and cross drilled holes catch the lathe tooling because they want to take off too much material in a given pass.
Now it may be just a rumor, but I've heard of some Porsche dealers willing to turn rotors of this type. Not completely sure about that one though.
I can say that if your rotors were not completely out of wack, if you found a machinist that knows what they are doing they could true them up for you.
In the beginning I was simply talking about cutting down a few thousandths worth of paint material on new rotors to prolong the appearance. Which a light sand with a DA would probably accomplish. I wasn't talking about turning your Baers that you got 60,000+ miles on.
If you really wanted to get funky you could chrome plate the SOBs and have the chrome taken down on the braking surface. Would painting, chroming, or turning void warranty?...For sure....but I'm a warranty killer :laugh:
I prefer to live in a world that I continue to step my game up and do something a little outside of the box and find the right people that say of course we can do that. Better than just owning a Baer catalog and making ignorant comments like, look that "ish" up before you post.

You know, I didn't want to be That Guy to break it to you, but Shawn works in a shop. :idea: I don't know about you but if I'm throwing that much money at a brake setup, I'd listen to the manufacturer as far as what I can and cannot do to modify their products. I mean we all love to go careening off a cliff when our custom-machined rotors fail.

They may say you can't do something even if we all know we really can, but they're the ones testing their products. I wouldn't question it when it comes to the stopping ability of my car.

If you can afford to spend $1k+ on a BBK, spend the money and get new rotors when the time comes.

While i'm sure you proabably can machine them down slower and maybe take .005 or .010" in a pass instead of whatever they typically take off which I assume is probably .025 or .035", I personally wouldn't try it.

Lots of people work in shops...lots even own their own shop, but that doesn't mean they know what they are talking about or know about the mods they perform.
You can cloud the original issue all you want. I was simply talking about prolonging appearance not machining your own custom pattern in the face. Which if you're planning on Tokyo drifting your car through mountain passes :laugh: your thoughts wouldn't be on whether or not your rotor appearance was shiny or rusty.

machining a custom pattern? what the hell are you talking about? this thread is full of fail. if you machine rotors just to make them look pretty, theres something seriously wrong with you

OR, buy a used set for cheap that are all rusted up, send them to me for powder coating and you get something like this back :drool:

newpics044.jpg

newpics043.jpg

MacNCheesemeet09008.jpg

I have the NPG kit for the rear, just havn't put it in yet :eek:.

Are you saying I couldn't machine flames into my rotors of my custom show car?

I'm saying you most definitely could. I'm also saying if you or someone else did that I would notice it and give out highfives.

machining a custom pattern? what the hell are you talking about? this thread is full of fail. if you machine rotors just to make them look pretty, theres something seriously wrong with you

I wouldn't say this thread is full of fail. The original postings were about appearance of how nice the kit looks(which it does) and how the zinc will wear off with time. I just simply pointed out a way to prolong the look.
My reasoning behind my post was simply because I feel that while increasing overal rotor diameter and pad surface does increase brake torque, the overwhelming of the time people buy big brake kits for looks not increased brake power. Now, I'm not saying that people don't buy them for the increase in brake torque, but I think they have a misconception of how much they are really increasing overall brake force. I've talked before on another thread about upgrades are silly when you have a distinct weaker link in the system when maximum performance is your goal.
In a case of just upgrading to larger rotors, the weaker link could be lack of pedal pressure, increased pedal movement due to larger or more caliper pistons, weak master cylinder, proportioning valve, tires, tempature, blah blah blah...
I just feel like unless you're rockin some serious upgrades, the reasoning becomes more so about looks. In which case, machining a little here or there probably isn't going to decrease your brake torque especially in a case of just turning down a chrome plating or painted surface. I wasn't saying take a .25" off and see how that works for you. :laugh:

don't F#$K with crazytalk guys. i've seen some of his work, not only on his car. :)

and on stock rotors, i just painted them with ceramic caliper spray paint, and cleared teh hell out of them. two years still black :)

So much ridiculousness. So many sorta-true statements, and even a bunch of flat out wrong ones in this whole thread.

I am a sad panda.

all the arguing about the rotor turning is funny. I dont understand how it wouldn't be possible to turn them. The kit i had on my silver svt was the one piece but they were the drilled and slotted. I had them turned by a good friend that had access to the machine. Granted you have to take so little off at a time it took nearly all day for both, but it got done and they worked flawlessly. :shrug: Oh and to the OP :drool::drool: I am soooo jealous right now lol. get them put on already i want pics!

Back